T Nation

I Can't Stand My New Dog

My old dog died a couple months ago.

Got a rescue puppy who was about 4 months old at the time. Maybe got him a little too soon: I don’t know. He was very sweet for the first few days, and has been nothing but a royal pain the butt since.

He’s now gone through a six week training, he gets a big exercise at least once a day.

He’s a little over six months, and has stopped teething, so I’m really losing my patience with him biting everything and sticking everything in his mouth.

I’ve had puppies before and they were about a billion times easier. He’s a bully. He bullies guests around, he tries to bully me around. He’s super destructive. He barks all the time. He will be really sweet for about 30 seconds at a time, then decides he has to bite the person unlucky enough to be petting him.

I’m really fed up with this dog, and I really feel terrible about it, but I’m really at the end of my rope with him.

Does anyone have any advice or tricks?

He’s generally fine out in public, but as soon as he gets ‘comfortable’, whether it’s at home, in the care, or at someone else’s house, he becomes pretty mean and destructive

I don’t want to get rid of him, on the otherhand, he’s nothing but a source of stress, and I feel like it’s not fair to be ‘angry’ and ‘resentful’ of your pet, but that’s where I’m getting.

Tbanks

The next time you take him for a walk…

You need to be the Alpha Male. Or call Caeser.

[quote]Waittz wrote:
You need to be the Alpha Male. [/quote]

I’m not an expert at all, but this is 100% what it sounds like. Sounds like he thinks he runs the show, and needs a strong leader.

Yelling at him will only produce more barking and mouthing.

You need to establish calm dominance, and be the pack leader. He doesn’t see himself as below you. Consistency is the key here. Does he have possession issues?

I had this issue with my Weimaraner from about 6 months old to 8 months old. He went through this phase where I couldn’t even stand to be around him, he was such a jerk. Wouldn’t listen, would bite me, would bark at me, etc. Someone told me I had to step up my dominance and not take any crap from him at all.

I had to draw a hard line with him, crate him every single night and whenever I left the house, never allow him to be on level/higher than me, never allow him to take a toy from me, etc. If you look up some dog dominance advice online, you’ll find tons of stuff that sends the message to your dog that you are the pack leader, not him. Bc that’s all he’s trying to do is gain dominance over you. Put him back in line, let him get his wiggles out everyday, and you’ll be rewarded with a loyal dog. Don’t give up on him!

Yeah, sounds like he thinks he’s dominant.

What kind of dog is it? Did I miss this.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

Tbanks[/quote]

• If you, your wife or kids are in the room, the dog is on the floor. No couch, no bed nothing, and NEVER is he allowed up there when you are there.

• Don’t get down on the floor with him in a position where he can sit on you, lay on you or anything like that. You can pet him, but remain on top and above him

• You run things, feeding etc. Do not respond to his begging or asking for things (unless he is going to shit on the floor, lol) Control the food, and dont’ leave bowls of food out. He needs to know you, and you alone, control the food.

• Don’t play aggressive games. He doesn’t appear to have the temperament to play tug of war or rough house on the floor.

• Give him a spot that is his, a crate, bed, house, whatever. A place he can go.

• He may sulk, and/or hide during this transition, but he’ll be fine in the end.

I flip my dogs on their back and grab their throat when they act up.

Obviously I’d never choke out my dog, but once they realize you could end them and choose not to, they’ll be a good dog.

[quote]iVoodoo wrote:

Obviously I’d never choke out my dog, but once they realize you could end them and choose not to, they’ll be a good dog.[/quote]

I wouldn’t recommend this, ever really.

EDIT: That isn’t to say you shouldn’t discipline a dog, but the wrong temperament and this will only make matters worse.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

Tbanks[/quote]

• If you, your wife or kids are in the room, the dog is on the floor. No couch, no bed nothing, and NEVER is he allowed up there when you are there.

• Don’t get down on the floor with him in a position where he can sit on you, lay on you or anything like that. You can pet him, but remain on top and above him

• You run things, feeding etc. Do not respond to his begging or asking for things (unless he is going to shit on the floor, lol) Control the food, and dont’ leave bowls of food out. He needs to know you, and you alone, control the food.

• Don’t play aggressive games. He doesn’t appear to have the temperament to play tug of war or rough house on the floor.

• Give him a spot that is his, a crate, bed, house, whatever. A place he can go.

• He may sulk, and/or hide during this transition, but he’ll be fine in the end. [/quote]

^ This is really food advice.

I dont really advise this, just thought I would share. My dog is very well behaved, but my fiance’s new little puppy while generally speaking is on the right path developement wise, she still bugs me sometimes. I started marking my territory in the back yard every morning. After she pee’s i walk up and piss on it. Im the boss mother fucker.

[quote]iVoodoo wrote:

Obviously I’d never choke out my dog, but once they realize you could end them and choose not to, they’ll be a good dog.[/quote]

I had a dog that this was the only thing I ever found that would make him chill out when he would get really aggressive. You could feel it when he let the tension go, sometimes it took several minutes. He bit the shit out of me one time though when I was flipping him after he jumped my sisters Chihuahua. Just remembered not to jerk my arm when he bit and get him by the corners of the mouth to make him let go and it was fine. He only ever acted aggressive when he was about to have a seizure though.

[quote]iVoodoo wrote:

EDIT: That isn’t to say you shouldn’t discipline a dog, but the wrong temperament and this will only make matters worse. [/quote]

You’re actually supposed to pin them with a forearm across the neck. This simulates what the pack alpha would do.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]iVoodoo wrote:

EDIT: That isn’t to say you shouldn’t discipline a dog, but the wrong temperament and this will only make matters worse. [/quote]

You’re actually supposed to pin them with a forearm across the neck. This simulates what the pack alpha would do.[/quote]

I’ve tried it before and didn’t have good results, so I guess I’m biased against the approach. I had that dog and inch from his life, and the stupid fucker thought it was a game and I was game to be challenged.

I guess my point is, don’t be surprised if the dog acts with aggression if you respond with it…

Rolling him over to expose the belly worked (to a degree) but the throat games only made matters worse. My dog just didn’t have the temperament to respond to it.

Fuck that… I would drop kick a dog out my house if it acted like that. If it won’t respect you right off, you will always have problems deep down…that will come out at the worst time later on.

Mine is a rescue dog. Complete opposite. I let him on the couch in the “man cave”…but no where else. He treats guests with respect and the most destructive he has been…is demolishing a roll of toilet paper I left in his reach.

countingbeans list was good.

Maintaining eye contact until he looks away – basically having a stare-down with him – will also help establish dominance. You’re pretty much going to have to look at how dogs behave and learn to use a language he was born understanding, instead of expecting him to understand yours.

If necessary, you may have to actually pin him down (while he’s standing, sitting, laying; not necessarily while he’s upside down), stare him down, and growl at him. You don’t want him to fear you, but you need him to respect you and the power you have over him. Based on his temperament, you may have to repeat this process often since he might regularly challenge your authority.

On a tangent, but still related note, I now have a cat with a good amount of wild cat in him (Asian Leopard Cat specifically) where I have do use very similar tactics to regain dominance in the household. I’ve never seen that kind of behavior with a pure domestic cat. Cats are already pretty independent anyway, but I’ve never seen a cat that just blatantly challenges authority like he does. Once I put him in his place, he’s good for another week or two, and then does it again.

I did grow up with dogs though.

[quote]iVoodoo wrote:

I could see myself doing this if I had a dog and was experiencing this… I basically do this to dudes downtown on saturday nights

[quote]Claudan wrote:

[quote]iVoodoo wrote:

I could see myself doing this if I had a dog and was experiencing this… I basically do this to dudes downtown on saturday nights[/quote]

It works…also if you act like it scares you and it is stronger than you, you will have problems.

My dog’s been sunshine and smiles since day one, haven’t had any problems.

Saying that, I watched one of those “it’s me or the dog” type shows and apparently a good way to show your dominance is to put the leash on your dog (you can do this in the house or outside, it doesn’t matter) and just very slowly pull him towards you. Do it really slowly, like a thumb length at a time.

You keep doing it again and again until eventually the dog stops resisting. Takes a whole bunch of repetitions if your dog is really disobedient, but eventually the dog just kinda accepts that you’re in charge.

Might be worth a try.