I Can't Get Any Stronger!

i cant get stronger on squats i do 5x3 and add 5 pounds each workout, today i squatte 220 1x5 i did not get to even do the next to sets i am no longer making progress on 3x5 and the weights are scary they are pretty heavy now. I want to do 315 some day but i dont know how to get stronger.

5/3/1, eat more, check your form, squat more

Your not gonna always see progression every second. Keep at the weights and in time, your body will have adjusted and soon find the weights easy as piss.

But by no means, do I say drop the weight down a ton. If your gonna do that then like caveman101 says check your form. But do not go down weights a lot. Go down a little. Make it feel easy. Then add more weights. Simples.

More squatting will make you more comfortable under the bar.

Hitting 5/3/1 would be good as the progression is pretty consistent but slow enough to help your mental barrier.

You could have paid attention last time you asked about stalling.

Eat more.
Read the stickies.
Eat more.

the advice i got was to eat more and sleep more im sleeping plenty 9 hours a day and eating enough to make gains on other muscle groups so its not that.

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
the advice i got was to eat more and sleep more im sleeping plenty 9 hours a day and eating enough to make gains on other muscle groups so its not that.[/quote]

Huh?

You’re eating enough to make gains on other muscle groups. Ok, fine.

But squats use more muscle than just about anything else – so if you’re not getting enough food [or recovery], they’re pretty much going to be the first thing you start stalling on. So eat more, so you can squat more.

How often are you squatting anyway? Every other day? Every two days?

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
the advice i got was to eat more and sleep more im sleeping plenty 9 hours a day and eating enough to make gains on other muscle groups so its not that.[/quote]

You clearly know everything. You’ve reached your potential. It’s all just maintenance from here on out.

If you ask for advice, don’t shoot down the advice given because you don’t like it. I’m assuming 1993 is when you were born. This means you’re young. Just listen to the people who have more experience. They can help.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/twelve-steps-to-getting-big/

You aren’t eating enough.

Do you ever do high reps?

The three most basic answers are;

1. Your not working hard enough
  2. Your not eating enough
  3. Your program sucks

Likely, it’s all 3. You said your eating enough, post exactly what you ate yesterday. Westside for skinny bastards is a good program, you can find it on this site.

i eat tons of whole grain rice whole grain tortillas chicken and vegetables fruits and nuts throughout the day. im doing stronglifts 5x5 but im on the 5x3 portion, i do believe im working hard enough i feel dead after my lifts like i gave it my all, i also do couch 2 5k because im going into the air force in a few months. And its not running there are guys who bench 315 and run 10 miles.

Those same people who bench 315 and run 10miles also have been lifting for a little while too.

You dont go from crawling to sprinting, there are a few steps in between and a lot of progress.

Keep lifting and eat.

Saying you ‘eat tons’ doesn’t mean shit. How much did you actually eat. By weight. How much?

See, this is why I don’t bother with you retards. I asked you to post EXACTLY what you ate yesterday. What did you say?

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
i eat tons of whole grain rice whole grain tortillas chicken and vegetables fruits and nuts throughout the day.[/quote]

What the fuck is “tons”?? I’ll give you a clue, it’s not enough and I’m out. Maybe someone else will have the mental strength to try and help.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
5/3/1, eat more, check your form, squat more[/quote]

X2, especially on the form check. Improving technique can mean some pretty drastic gains early on.

this was like a few weeks ago but it gives an idea of my form, and im interested in 5/3/1 is it good for a begginer is it a program that i can stay on for a while? i hate going from program to program

and monopoly fuck off if your going to insult me, i appreciate help but not from someome who is going to be a jackass, I dont carry a “food calculator” i just eat eat enough so that i dont feel hungry or sick from not eating enough calories.

what im doing seems to work fine i have been getting stronger except for my squat it has stopped at 220 1x5 i was doing a stronglifts which is linear progression, but no one can go on forever adding 15 pounds to their squat every week i suspect i have burned out the program and have gotten out all i could. Im just wondering if its possible to get past 220 i dont see how on earth someone can squat 315 when 220 kills me i need to know what program they are doing.

Sounds like you are using linear progressions which is fine up to a point but you can’t just keep adding weight every week. Eventually you will stall then you need to find a new way to make progressions.

Do a search of Tim Henriques articles and you will learn a fair bit about how to make progressions.
If you aren’t into doing research and learning then just do 5/3/1. It’s about the most simple program I’ve seen.

[quote]Angus1 wrote:
Sounds like you are using linear progressions which is fine up to a point but you can’t just keep adding weight every week. Eventually you will stall then you need to find a new way to make progressions.

Do a search of Tim Henriques articles and you will learn a fair bit about how to make progressions.
If you aren’t into doing research and learning then just do 5/3/1. It’s about the most simple program I’ve seen. [/quote]

This. Stronglifta isn’t going to last forever. It will last a lot less time if you are running and no eating enough, but noone knows how nuch youre eating and I will not tell you to stop running (conditioning is important) .

I would suggest you buy the 5/3/1 book and read it through several times. Pick a template that works for you and follow it to a tee.

About your questions, 5/3/1 will work for just about anyone, even complete beginners (though you aren’t one). You can stay on it pretty much indefinitely if you wish, and it is good for people looking to do a lot of conditioning.

You need to eat more. This is obvious from seeing you in your video, and your comment that you “eat until you’re not hungry”. You need to take eating to an extreme if you want to continually progress. Not just “I ate a bunch of tortillas and chicken and stuff.” If you’re not willing to re-examine how you’re eating, no one on this site can help you. Is that clear?

Also, your form looks fine to me, good balance, good depth. You could slow your descent a bit, that quick descent will eventually take a toll on your knees.