T Nation

I Can't Freakin' Move!

I need some advice as to how I should handle this situation.

I hadn’t trained in 2 months (moving,job,and other poor excuses to be a pussy) and had only trained at home before with DB’s and a bench.

well I joined a gym on Monday and dove right in with a leg day. I did ATG squats 10x3, leg presses 10x3(full rom) and calf raises and weighted decline sit-ups.

On Tuesday I could barely walk and it’s only slightly better now.

Wednesday I did bench 10x3, bent over row 10x3, and incline DB curls 5x5.

It is now Thursday night and basically my entire body hurts like hell with ANY movement. Extreme DOMS.

How should I handle this situation with regards to my next few workouts? I skipped today’s posterior chain workout and will likely skip Saturday’s vertical plane upper day too.

Should I just resume on Monday with maybe going 3x15 and train through it? Or attempt more heavy lifting and hope my pain goes away in 2 months?

thanks in advance for you help

-DT

I would ease into your workouts a little more, and build up the amount of work you do gradually over at least the next couple weeks.

You don’t want to over do it if your body isn’t used to the same loads/volume that it was before.

Your strength and endurance will come back quickly. Don’t rush it.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
I would ease into your workouts a little more, and build up the amount of work you do gradually over at least the next couple weeks.

You don’t want to over do it if your body isn’t used to the same loads/volume that it was before.

Your strength and endurance will come back quickly. Don’t rush it.[/quote]

I was thinking along those same lines although I might as well have never worked out in my life before. Having never been to a gym I’ve never really even had a “leg day” let alone going balls out like I did. I suppose I should have gone much easier and built up to doing real workouts.

I was just tired of half-assing it and thinking that my newbie gains were impressive (which they are not). I took some Spike, had my Surge in hand, and decided Monday would be the first day of the rest of my training career. Oh…I’m starting to really eat for size too for the first time ever.

Lesson learned I guess…the hard way.

Ha ha, you can’t move.

Just work your way in gradually… unless you’re trying to get rhabdo. Rhabdo kicks ass.

It sounds like you have some good drive and motivation right now, but I think the biggest reason most well-intensioned new guys quit is because they try to do too much, too soon and get burned out.

Motivation was my biggest problem for the longest time. I would do really well for about 2 months, burn out and quit for about a month, then get pissed at myself for not working out and would get real motivated again.

I went through this same cycle over and over, until I surrounded myself with weight-lifting related things as much as possible, as well as staying away from negative motivators like sit-coms on TV that brain wash you into thinking it’s okay to be lazy.

This site also helped tremendously.

David,

As soon as you can force yourself to move again, you need to do some very light weight movements rapidly for alot of reps. The goal is to increase oxygen uptake while filling the muscles with blood. Also use a full range of motion. This will help bring nutrients to and take waste byproducts from the muscles and get a decent stretch while lifting.

One of the authors here wrote a whole article on this a while back. Hopefully someone will remember it and post a link.

Holmdog

I know you’re just starting,but if you plan on doing so much,you might wanna consider taking some BCAAs for the soreness,or just eat more.the more you eat the less sore you will be…sadly that is my downfall

try not doing an advanced program when you’re a beginner, it should help

Feels great doesn’t it? Contrast showers can help a bit.

The first time you do anything, it will hurt.

Don’t do a whole lot of firsts all at once.

I also wouldn’t recommend trying a new lift at a personally heavy weight… such as a real 10x3.