T Nation

I can't do it

I can’t do only 3 days a week. In fact, 4 days a week is probably my threshhold. I’m happy 4 days a week, but I’m going crazy on off days at 3 days a week. And hell to be honest, I find myself still getting stronger and stronger at 5 days a week and then occasionally taking some more time off I need it. And all that stuff about working one hour and that’s it, I don’t know if I buy into that either. In fact, I think you can work out twice a day and still have excellent gains. Am I just wrong or am I just young enough to do this or am I a recovery freak with a hyper active HPA axis? (23). Maybe it’s all the Omega 3 I eat. HAH. That’s a shout out to all the EFA heads out there.

well, you can workout twice a day. I find that twice a day, three times a week gives good results, but the best come from 3 hours or even less a week in the gym. If you get results from it, then train 7 days a week, you’re not forced to “buy” anything. You could borrow other people experiences and use them for your benefit,but if really can handle it, then gp ahead.

Are you training for strength or are you training for hypertrophy? Also, what are your physical goals? Yes, it is true that you can train alot more than just three 1 hour sessions a week and still have alot of strength and stamina gains. I used to be so addicted to the pump and was so masochistic that I enjoyed the physical pain of pushing myself to my absolute physical limit several times a day. At that time my main focus was on achieving inhuman recovery rates, I needed to be the human equivalent of the energizer bunny on crack. However, I had a really hard time getting any real hypertrophy results. I still got stronger and stronger but growth was nearly impossible. It wasn’t until I backed off of training and forced myself to be what I consider lazy that I finally started to grow. I still ramp things up periodically whenever I am cutting or I am training up for physical events that require more stamina and inhuman recovery rates, but when I am going for mass I put the priority on food, food, and more food, and I cut my training back to 1 hour sessions 3 times a week. It is hard to cut my regular physical output back that much, but it is rewarding to see myself pack on 20+lbs in 2-3 months. I like to keep myself right between 190-210lbs at 5’11" which isn’t big by bodybuilder standards but it is a very happy medium for the sports I participate in. You have to custom fit your training to match your goals. Train hard!

Thanks for the feedback. I do notice that I hypertrophy most at 3 times per week, with 3 hours in the gym too. But I do believe that if you cycle from intense back to 3 days a week, then you’re going to be able to put that strength you’ve gained to really nice use in gaining mass. That’s just a thought. Thanks so much for your wisdom.
-Marc

I agree that after you ratchet back down from going full bore you are likely to get faster gains. I believe that it is a result of the constant demand that you place on your body to recover. It barely has enough time to recover let alone grow, and your body kicks up your recovery priority just to maintain and survive. Then when you suddenly slow down it overfeeds your muscles or something. Just a theory, but it makes sense to me and I have seen the effects on my own body so I am a believer. Train Hard!

the last three weeks i trained only 3x per week, 40-60min a session. mentally i felt inclined to do more ,but i had good results, now i’m gonna give 4x a week a shot for 3 weeks