T Nation

I Can't Cheat

How often do u have a cheat meal if at all? ive found it much harder to bring myself to cheat than to stay on my diet. i guess that could be considered a good thing but still, socially it can get in the way.

For example the last cheat meal i had was in april i had a whole wheat subway sandwhich fitting exactly in my calorie range because there was no other option and that was it.

This week im at the beach with my family and told my dad we should go out to eat tuesday (we were gonna go sometime this week and tuesday was a high carb day) but when that day came i just ate before we left and couldnt bring myself to have anything. i used to be fat and i gain fat really easily so i just dont want to add to any fat gain when bulking.

anyone else have that?

Ya! I’m the same. I’ve been following a ketogenic diet for the last 4 months now allowing only 30g or less of carbs, and my diet looks closer to NO carbs. The only carbs i have come from eating nuts.

My cheat meals (if i can call them that) are Metabolic Drive cookie dough bars (only 26g of carbs). I’m now carbaphobic.

[quote]rikz wrote:
Ya! I’m the same. I’ve been following a ketogenic diet for the last 4 months now allowing only 30g or less of carbs, and my diet looks closer to NO carbs. The only carbs i have come from eating nuts. My cheat meals (if i can call them that) are Metabolic Drive cookie dough bars (only 26g of carbs). I’m now carbaphobic.[/quote]

low are u cutting or bulking with keto? when i did keto i had no direct carb sources but probably too much cottage cheese and nuts cause my carbs were always over 40g

anyway about the cheating i dont know if its good or bad. i mean like i said i used to be fat and gain fat easily. i do cardio all days im not lifting except one day of rest usually (right now its 4 workouts a week, 2 days of HIIT) and so far for the bulk its been going well but my last bulk went horribly for some reason.

i just wish i could be like people like CT when even though they used to be fat they still have 1+ cheat meals EVERY week. i just cant bring myself to do it

[quote]David1991 wrote:
anyway about the cheating i dont know if its good or bad. [/quote]

I look at cheat meals as more a psychological thing than anything else. Its kind of like a vacation to get away from the strictness of ordinary life stresses. If you don’t need them, you have some good self-discipline, more power to ya!

Sometimes the only reason I cheat is because I get sick of cooking. After grueling day sometimes the last thing I want to do is prepare dinner(and I actually enjoy cooking). Fuck it, it’s pizza time is usually my Friday ritual.

But that’s all I need. Saturday morning I’m back on track and I make it through the rest of the week no problems.

Sounds a little like an eating disorder. I had one for about two years and that pretty much is the main worry most of the time “What if i get fat again?”

My answer after a year of beating myself up is that “I’ll lose it again”. one cheat meal in and of itself cannot do jack shit to your goals. It will not make you fat to deviate a little bit.

In the end, IMO a happy meal with friends/family beats a six pack any day.

Having a little re-feed once and a while (great while or weekly) isn’t too bad if you can fit it into your diet.

once you get leaner you can afford to have more re-feeds then a heavier person.

(almost said fatty but changed to heavier instead.)

One cheat meal for me leads to another cheat meal for me next day and so on until i flip out and cut them out of my diet again

And i gain weight very easily just eating whole foods and piling on fatty foods like olive oil, nuts and cheese

At 6’ and 155 pounds, a Subway sandwich is the least of your worries.

Do you people read stats before commenting?

He’s 6’ and 155 pounds.

He has an EATING DISORDER.

Im in the same boat with the Keto diet, ive been on it for almost 3 weeks and feel the cravings of carbs already dropping!! I also gain fat real easy, but my workouts being high volume and intense, I havent had trouble keeping it down at all, esp with the cutting carbs and adding good fats.

My body responds great to high volume training. I also switch it up with some EDT training every few weeks inbetween “heavy lift days”, so I dont have to bore myself with cardio…I havent done “real” cardio in almost a year now, and managed to drop to about 10% BF without loosing weight.

As far as the Cheat meals go, during my bulk season (im cutting down now and leveling off), I used to eat 1 or 2 crap meals on saturdays myself…that was all though. The rest of the week was 95% clean. NOW, I still really watch (since Ive just started the keto diet) I might have ONE meal like that every other week.

I usually record my body temp everyday just to see if it drops below my average for 2 days in a row. CT has talked about if it drops 1 degree for 2-3 days straight, you should have a “carb-up” refeed anyways. In the past 3 weeks on my Keto diet, I’ve only had to do that once, but its comming close that I might have to do it this weekend.

I agree though that it can be psychological , but like I mentioned, Im quite surprised at my drop in cravings now…I’m able to just brush those feelings away alot quicker now, where it used to stay with me for days until I gave in!!

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:

[quote]

Naa…I dont like ‘stats’, I dont have time for ‘stats’ :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:

He’s 6’ and 155 pounds.

He has an EATING DISORDER.[/quote]

Holy shit, good catch. OP, you gotta get over it, eat clean and eat more. 155 is small for me and I’m 5’6"

Dude, don’t be so all or nothing about this stuff.

YOU WEIGH 155LBS.

This is NOT a weight at which you need to worry about getting fat off of ‘cheating’ every once in a while.

You need to learn how to EAT. If you want to get to your physique goal, you are going to have to EAT. See the dude in your avatar? I don’t think he was worried about going over his ‘caloric’ limit when he ate a huge ass steak and a gigantic potato almost daily at Cowboy’s steak house.

You need to get a shrink or something if you’re so concerned about going over 155 lbs. at 6’0".

[quote]David1991 wrote:
How often do u have a cheat meal if at all? ive found it much harder to bring myself to cheat than to stay on my diet. i guess that could be considered a good thing but still, socially it can get in the way.

For example the last cheat meal i had was in april i had a whole wheat subway sandwhich fitting exactly in my calorie range because there was no other option and that was it.

This week im at the beach with my family and told my dad we should go out to eat tuesday (we were gonna go sometime this week and tuesday was a high carb day) but when that day came i just ate before we left and couldnt bring myself to have anything. i used to be fat and i gain fat really easily so i just dont want to add to any fat gain when bulking.

anyone else have that?[/quote]

If you really want to gain muscle, you have to accept the fact that you’re going to gain at least some fat. Go out with your family tonight and eat a steak and potato or two, and hold the dessert.

Seriously though, you may not have a full fledged eaing disorder YET. Try and nip that problem in the bud man. If you feel you are denying yourself a cheat now and again because of “the way you’ll feel afterward” you got a problem.

Bottom line: Certain Food shouldnt make you feel guilty and the fact that you already started cutting carbs out at 155 is quite a clear indicator that you have a problem.

I hear in you. Big time. The argument that it “gets in the way socially” is a bit weak to me though, always has felt that way. You can go out to eat AND have something healthy that fits into your diet plan while others gorge themselves. When my friends give me a hard time about “eating so healthy” or choosing to be the designated driver all the time my simple answer that shuts up the critics 99% of the time is…

"Why does MY choice of a salad, chicken, and steamed vegetables make your bacon cheeseburger and fries taste any less satisfying to YOU? or in the Fri/Sat night situation, “Why do I have to drink for YOU to have a good time?..I’ll have another club soda Mr. Bartender.”

I appreciate all the replies guys.

I dont have an eating disorder (lol like i would think i have one anyway :p) but i see where ur coming from. im definitely thin at 155 but i know what im working with. its not like i just got thin and am overly paranoid that i gain fat. i measure my bodyfat and unfortunately i really do gain fat unusually quickly for a 17y/o

like i said its really mental i just figure “if i can eat before i go why cheat?” but at the same time 1 cheat meal a week is still like 97-98% compliance and i know plenty of people who follow that and stay under 10%, I just cant stand cutting and want to spend more time bulking so its hard for me to do something i know will lead to more fat gain. things like a burger/steak im definitely more ok with than pasta or something like a dessert

Out of curiosity, what are your current macros like?

I restrict myself to one cheat meal per week… but for me a cheat meal is simply a meal that was not planned and thus may not exactly fit the exact figures for that specified meal… but still keeps in theme with the current diet/training/goals.

e.g. I am currently dropping bodyfat and the other day I was invited out for a chinese meal with some friends… Instead of pancakes/duck/cucumber/spring onion/hoi sin sauce… I created some kind of cucumber/duck/spring onion small salad thing via the buffet =]