T Nation

I Can't Believe It's Been 25 Years!

Hard to believe I’ve been training on and off for a quarter of a century. I got my first weight set at 14 and continued for 2 solid years and despite not knowing much about proper training and even less about nutrition, I managed to go from 130 lbs to 160 lbs in that time although I was pretty smooth at about 16% bf. But I looked good in a tank top which is all I really cared about!

Then I discovered partying and girls and there went my desire to train. But over the years I’d suddenly join a gym and start lifting again…usually just for summer - tank top weather. Then come fall I’d quit again. This on and off pattern has persisted for over 20 years.

But then in January of 2006, I hit an all time low. I hadn’t trained in several years and was the fattest I’d ever been at about 185 lbs and around 22% bf. I vowed to myself that I’d start training again…but the right way. No slacking, eating squeaky clean, etc.

So at 39 after about 18 months of solid hard work, I’m in the best shape of my life and only looking to improve. No drugs…no shortcuts…just consistant hard work and unshakable disipline is all you need to get the body you want.

Right on 1Morerep, I think that pic of you at fifteen will put that accusation of steroid use to rest. Unless of course you were mainlining test at fifteen (J/K)! Great job man, I hope to have a physique like yours one day.

Take care,

D

Same hair style! WOW

Very impressive, you look to be in phenomenal shape not only for your age, but for any age. I hope I keep it up as I get older. Must feel good to be 39 years old and know that you are still in the best shape now.

Nice progress! Think of where you’ll be at 65!

I gave you a 10 for the most muscular in your profile. Lookin great.

10 for your profile pic, nice biceps peak nice cuts too

10 for determination

hey - at least he has hair!

come on guys 39 ain’t old, ain’t even close to old. 40s are the new 20s

might live to 120, that means he isn’t even 1/3rd of the way there

1morerep didn’t you pop in about a year ago or two saying you were getting back into it???

Thanks Magarhe!! Yes I’m so very grateful I still have all my hair with no signs of losing any any time soon. And no that wasn’t me…I’ve only been a T-Nation reader since Jan.

I gave you a 10 because your the best near 40 year old I’ve seen.

Hottt!

Amanda

nice work bro keep it going strong

Thanks people…your encouragement means a lot!

[quote]1morerep wrote:
Thanks Magarhe!! Yes I’m so very grateful I still have all my hair with no signs of losing any any time soon. And no that wasn’t me…I’ve only been a T-Nation reader since Jan. [/quote]

ha. you should be grateful. I’m 25 and so bald that i gave up and shaved it (I gave up and shaved it when I was 19, I have no idea how bad it is now)

I’m going with Tveddy here i’m 20 and my hair is already disappearing. Shaved the head today. lol.

Great work on the progress. I Hope to look that good when I’m 40. (Well I’d lie if I didnt say, 23… but if I could sustain it that’d be great =) )

Keep it up.

What to say man, you are the man. Amazing shoulders. I hope to have that physique when I am 40.

Can you go into a little detail about your training/diet, or point me to a thread in which you have done so already.

You look like that guy who got his leg broke by Lawrence Taylor. The redskins quarter back. Ummm…Damn, I forget his name.

Anyways, good job on the physique and you’re inspiration to the rest of us, Ironheads.

JOE THESIMAN!

Baldness: the hair you have at say age 25, you will prob. have that hair for the rest of your life. ie if you are going bald you go bald young. Baldness comes from your mothers’ father - if you are bald, your daughters’ sons are going to be bald too.

Nothing wrong with being bald or shaving the head, except maybe getting suburnt on the noggin. If bald, your hair will never go white or silver and hence you won’t look so old when you are old. Also, you can comb your hair with a sponge.

I am not by the way, bald.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
Baldness: the hair you have at say age 25, you will prob. have that hair for the rest of your life. ie if you are going bald you go bald young. Baldness comes from your mothers’ father - if you are bald, your daughters’ sons are going to be bald too.

Nothing wrong with being bald or shaving the head, except maybe getting suburnt on the noggin. If bald, your hair will never go white or silver and hence you won’t look so old when you are old. Also, you can comb your hair with a sponge.

[/quote]

False. Sorry man, but that’s wishful thinking. As a 40 year old who has almost all his hair, I can tell you none of that is true. I freaked out at 31 when I started to recede at the temples a bit (almost 10 years later and I now see that the tiny bit of loss I had was really nothing, and is not even noticeable - except to me!)…

But seriously, I went to a dermatologist back then and learned quite a few things about male pattern baldness - like it can happen anytime, and having hair at 25 is no guarantee that you’ll have it at 30, or 40, or even 27 for that matter.

Also, that crap about your mother’s side - also false. It comes from both parent’s genes…

I will say that the doc told me the older you are when you start receding the more likely you will keep more of your hair, but other than that, the rest is just not true.

10/10 - It’s no secret that you work hard, your progress is inspirational!

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Magarhe wrote:

False. Sorry man, but that’s wishful thinking. As a 40 year old who has almost all his hair, I can tell you none of that is true. I freaked out at 31 when I started to recede at the temples a bit (almost 10 years later and I now see that the tiny bit of loss I had was really nothing, and is not even noticeable - except to me!)…

But seriously, I went to a dermatologist back then and learned quite a few things about male pattern baldness - like it can happen anytime, and having hair at 25 is no guarantee that you’ll have it at 30, or 40, or even 27 for that matter.

Also, that crap about your mother’s side - also false. It comes from both parent’s genes…

I will say that the doc told me the older you are when you start receding the more likely you will keep more of your hair, but other than that, the rest is just not true.
[/quote]

Thanks for crapping all over my parade buddy