I CanNOT Burn Fat, HELP!

I feel your pain. You should know that your frustrations are actually shared by a lot of the general population. A person is not happy and puts on some weight then tries to drop it by going on a low calorie diet. It seems reasonable. After all 1500 calories seems like a good idea considering that RDA for calories is about 2000 for an average male.

But you have to see yourself as an athlete. You demand performance from your body. Since you demand performance from it, you have to fuel it like a machine. Once you fuel it, it will take care of itself. It will automatically drop it’s fat and increase it’s muscle as a method of adaptation to the exercise ( performance ) forced upon it.

It takes alot of energy to generate muscle tissue, recover tendon tissue, buildup skeletal mass, recover the nervous system, keep immunity high during the stress imposed by exercise etc etc etc… See what i mean? Those are VERY energy intensive processes.

In effect you have to unlearn what you have learned so far. Start your eating habits from scratch. You can actually follow a high calorie diet and lose fat without trying to lose fat. You can actually eat all the carbs you want providing they’re low glycemic.

But most importantly read the following article. Read it twice. Read it and understand it.

oh and BTW: I disagree with you being a troll. I don’t like the Elitist attitude some members have here. They’ll help someone if they’re a little lost. But if someone one is really lost and looking to learn they kick you to the curb. Like you’re not worth their precious time. I wonder where they would be at if noone took the time to write articles, share tips and such when they were rookies. How quickly they forget.

Please, fill in your profile info!

Like others here say, READ.
Drastic calorie reduction is not the way to go (for most- everyone is different…).
General recommendations:
Dont use Velocity Diet calc, unless your doing the Velocity Diet.
Read a lot of the diet info, look for themes / principles.

Eat to keep constant weight, record / weigh everything you eat, be 100% honest here and find what your ‘usual’ cal / macro intakes are.
Clean up your diet if needed.
Weigh yourself once per week same time of day (morning after your first pee of the day, and nekkid) this will give you a repeatable base.

Aim to reduce intake of cals by around 500/day or so and increase cardio a little. Keep this level going for a couple of months to evaluate i.e. DO NOT adjust your cal intake until you have evaluated it (for a couple of months).
DO NOT panic if bodyweight doesnt do what you want from one week to the next, its all about general trends. You should aim for an average of 1 to 2lb loss per week.

Fluctuations can easily happen due to temporary water balance, again remember its a gradual thing, lose nothing one week and 2lb the next and you average 1lb per week.

You seem to want instant results (it aint gonna happen- you need to put the effort in over time, don’t cheat yourself) also you seem to be over reacting over short term results.

Depending on age, weight, fat%, muscle etc (no profile info doesn’t help!) you should be eating about 3000 cal and managing to lose fat (not weight). Keep in mind you can lose 1 lb of fat while adding 1lb of muscle giving no weight loss BUT lower fat % and higher metabolic rate.

Relax and do this thing properly!

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:

I called Troll because you’re eating less than a woman who weighs less than you, you actually believe Tanita bf analysis is accurate, and you want to look like Brad Pitt while posting on a board where size and strength are prized.

[/quote]

How would any of that make him a troll? He’s obviously just ignorant on the subject, and he’s asking for help. And whether or not anyone here agrees with his goal, that still doesn’t mean he’s a troll

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

I called Troll because you’re eating less than a woman who weighs less than you, you actually believe Tanita bf analysis is accurate, and you want to look like Brad Pitt while posting on a board where size and strength are prized.

How would any of that make him a troll? He’s obviously just ignorant on the subject, and he’s asking for help. And whether or not anyone here agrees with his goal, that still doesn’t mean he’s a troll

[/quote]

I dont know if its really being a troll, but he obviously didn’t read any of the articles or forums on here at all.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:

[/quote]
and if someone has been using a forum for years, they would know the etiquette is to introduce yourself and expect to get flamed at first if they make stupid comments/statements

Save up and do the V-Diet.

[quote]Professor xXx wrote:
Save up and do the V-Diet.[/quote]

IDENTITY THEFT!!!

…this should get interesting lol

[quote]Professor xXx wrote:
Save up and do the V-Diet.[/quote]

lol

hey wee shamman , ok you’ve learned what not not do buddy, if your are just wanting to loose weight, and tone , like another guy said stick to compound movements which will burn most and build most muscle ,your legs and back make up about 70% of your bodies muscle so include heavy squats, and deadlifts see how you get on ,get your self a work out and stick to the plan ,

for your diet , try working out your maintenance using the harris , bennedict formula, from there a starting point, reduce your cals by 200 for say three days then back to maintenance for a day see how you get on, up your carbs to around 50/ 55 % of your total cals , cut out alcohol, and train if you need help message me we all have to start somewhere bud,

i think it would be a good idea for you to hit pizza hut a few times get your body moving again,
because you’ve gone so low your body tries to maintain its self ( doesnt want to shut down) so i starts using muscle for fuel because it takes quiet alot to keep muscle, then it adjusts t3 out put turning down the stat so you never loose the fat you look like a skinny fat bloke mate,

goood luck , remember anything worth having never comes easy, and be consistant

I didn’t come back to this thread for a while because of the initial negative response I got, but I just checked it and I see like 10 more posts of people trying to help me, so I’m really pleasantly surprised by that–thanks guys I really do appreciate it.

Yes, I was actually doing 1500 per day and prepared to cut further if I had to–2300 per day didn’t work, 1800 per day didn’t work, so I just thought ‘well, cut further’.

Thanks. I think it’s like a lot of other things where people have been immersed for so long they’re incredulous that outsiders don’t know the basics that they’ve known for a really long time. Ask the average Joe how to burn fat and get in shape, I think YOU’LL be incredulous at some of the answers you’ll get, you know? People on here just can’t believe that someone would think cutting to 1500 kcals per day would be a good idea, but very few people really know any better. Yeah, I guess I’m under the category of REALLY Lost right now, lol…

I think those Tanita scales can be very…consistent (not accurate, there’s a difference–water displacement and DEXA are much more ‘accurate’), you just have to be REALLY consistent about the conditions that you measure under. I always do it at night, naked, right after I get out of the shower, almost the exact same time every night, which is always between my 4th and 5th meal, AND I’m really consistent in keeping myself hydrated.

If I do this all properly, I’ll see a variation of MAYBE 0.1-0.5% MAX all other things being equal. It’s usefulness comes in it’s consistency because although it might not be accurate (maybe you’re ACTUALLY 25% and the scale reads 15%, or whatever) because if you’re burning fat, it’ll drop, if it doesn’t drop (or worse, goes up) well then you’re doing something wrong, right?

And yes, I’m going to go read a bunch of stuff now, thanks…

[quote]skohcl wrote:
Hey, tanita BF analysis is pretty decent, for what it is. It does fluctuate with your %water content, but for the most part, when I had a “4-pak” I was ~10% on that thing, which is what guys need to be to attain that.

And I’m about 17%ish according to it now which looks appropriate to the amount of fat I should lose, but we’ll see when I get back down to 10%[/quote]

False. My tanita had me at around 17% when a professional DEXA scan, the gold standard, put me under 10%. I was pretty ripped. The tanita also does not properly distinguish between fat-free mass and fat.

You can test this out. Get on. Get your bodyfat. Chug a lot of water. Your bodyfat % will go up on the tanita. Even though this is clearly not true. It thinks the excess weight is fat. Your bodyfat percentage should be going down.

If you want to look like Tyler Durden you need to live like Tyler Durden.

Good luck OP.

sit back, take stock, I’m not big on measuring bodyfat, so hard to get accurate, look in the mirror every morning, see a change for the better, go with a positive attitute, mate , really any help just ask

[quote]jsbrook wrote:

False. My tanita had me at around 17% when a professional DEXA scan, the gold standard, put me under 10%. I was pretty ripped. The tanita also does not properly distinguish between fat-free mass and fat.

You can test this out. Get on. Get your bodyfat. Chug a lot of water. Your bodyfat % will go up on the tanita. Even though this is clearly not true. It thinks the excess weight is fat. Your bodyfat percentage should be going down.[/quote]

Im not 100% on this so dont flame me if Im wrong, but Bf analysis like the DEXA is mad accurate but weekly scans would probably cost a fortune.

The tanita scales and the like measure BF through electrical impedence. The scale sends a signal through your body and the amount of fat/muscle in your body determines what BF % will come up. Muscle and fat have different densities so the signal will be alot quicker through fat as it is less dense.

Water is obviously also not very dense so when you chug down a jug of water the mass of your body has changed and so has the amount of low density mass (fat and the extra water) and thats why your BF levels go up.

If you wake up in the morning one day, take a piss and weigh in at 200lbs 15% BF on the tanita then the next day you weigh yourself before peeing 202lbs 17% BF that slight variance makes a difference. So the best way to use any scale is to use it consistently.

Where can you get a DEXA done? Who tends to have that kind of equipment and how much does it cost to have a scan done? jsbrook, you said you had one done.

[quote]Shaman1911 wrote:
Where can you get a DEXA done? Who tends to have that kind of equipment and how much does it cost to have a scan done? jsbrook, you said you had one done.[/quote]

University hospitals and a lot of bloody money.

I just wanted to throw out there that electrical impedance devices for estimating body fat are complete dog shit and should be avoided at all costs. Years ago in lab we were hooked up to these and showed a variety of different ways in which they are completely inaccurate and unreliable. We drank water while watching the real time calculation.

As we drank, our bodyfat miraculously dropped due to the machine calculating the speed of time it takes for a small electrical current to travel through our bodies. If you are wearing any kind of metalic jewelry, same thing. If you haven’t taken a shit yet, your body fat will appear higher.

If you have recently exercised, aren’t fully hydrated, recently ate, the reading is obviously also going to be inaccurate. Stay away from them, they’re a complete waste of money. Stick to body calipers or go 7 site digital calipers if you don’t know how to do the calculations yourself.

If you have access and can afford to, use Hydrostatic Body Fat Testing for maximum accuracy which is most likely overkill anyway for almost everyone. A little off topic but I hate to hear about people using these unless they’re following the guidelines to using them with maximum accuracy.

“I CanNOT Burn Fat, HELP!”

pshhh…Not with that attitude.

The reason OP people screamed troll was because you claimed you wanted to look like brad Pitt in fight club. People asking how to look like Brad is a pet hate of the members on this board, and any who do are now considered trolls.

IMO to look like him you would first need to add a fair chunk of muscle, as cutting to his level of bf would unavoidably cut some muscle as well, and Tyler Durden, while not big by any means, does have some muscle on him. Being at 180-185 pounds at ten percent or below bf, then cutting, would be your best option.

I had to check my body fat on a tanita scale for my nutrition class a few weeks ago. I had a six pack and it told me I was 24% bodyfat, I lol’d.