I CanNOT Burn Fat, HELP!

I’m trying to cut (at least 2 lbs/week), I’m on 1500 calories per day, roughly 20-30% carbs, 20-30% fat, and 40-60% protein, ALL carbs are complex and the majority of them are consumed early in the day

(the later in the day it gets, the less the meal will consist of carbs–last meal of the day is almost always just tuna and mayo at 160 cals, 90 of which are fat and 70 protein). I lift twice a week, and do a 30 minute SEPA-style walk EVERY day,

I’ve calculated that I’m burning over 3000 calories per day, I lost 2.8 pounds last week when I first started this, this week I’ve lost nothing, JUST like the last two times I tried!!! WTF?!!?

The time before that was the same deal, except 1800 calories–same results (2-4 pound loss the first week, nada after that). I also tried 2300 calories, everything else the same, and what was interesting about that was that I gained 2 pounds BUT my scale said my bodyfat dropped 0.5%,

HOWEVER you need to keep in mind that this was a Tanita scale that does the electrical resistance thing method which supposedly has an error of like 3-5% so that 0.5% drop could mean nothing (although I’m extremely consistent about the conditions under which I measure and as a result the scale tends to give very consistent results, sooo…??)

All I want to do is get my bodyfat down to 5-7%, this could be at 170 pounds and I’d be happy with that (I’m 25 years old, 6’1", 194 and the Tanita scale I’ve got says about 18.5% bodyfat),

I’m concerned about looks not performance, so if I could look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club or Snatch (dude was MAYBE 160-170 in those) I’d be friggin’ ecstatic.

Please help, what the hell is going on here??

Oh, and I settled on 1500 calories because 1800 and 2300 hadn’t seemed to really work, and when I put my info into the Velocity diet calculations it said I should be taking in around 1400-1600 calories per day and those guys were dropping insane amounts of weight like 3-4 pounds per week and maintaining muscle…

Troll

um, no, I really need help, I’m serious…

you’re right, you need psychological help. Because either A. you’re trying to be anorexic or B. you have nothing better to do with your life than waste your time being a troll.

I’m not a psychologist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express

You lost 2.8 pounds last week, and lost 0.0 pounds this week.

And it prompted you to post that hysterical post?

Come back in a month. Stay off the scale until then. No, really.

Stay. Off. The. Scale.

Maybe your stress levels are too high, thus increasing cortisol, thus making it hard to lose (not loose) fat.

Up the protein and the fat, drop the carbs. Your body is your playground. Experiment to see what works.

Oh and I should add that if you’re burning 3000kcals a day and you’re ingesting 1500…Well your body hates you because IT’S FUCKING STARVING.

You might want to check some VERY important issues you have with Defiencies you may have that is affecting you bodies ability to drop fat and gain muscle.

From what I have learned lately, this is the MOST important thing before others. I.e Zinc, Magnesium levels all effect how you feel, and how you will perform in the gym and in everyday life.

You need to lift MORE…Use a few Heavy session a week and a couple of lactate(metabolic type) sessions to smash the fat. Drop the cardio too, as it does nothing but further stresses you body out and as much as it may lead to some fat loss, you will also lose muscle. Check out “Detroying the fat” article by Thibs for workouts.

Also, diet - Drop the carbs…Eat only meat, fish, eggs, chicken and veggies and nuts. Once every 7 days have a big cheat meal. But not until u have followed the low carb diet for 2 weeks straight. Dotn worry too much about calories. Just get in 1.8-2 g/lb of protein. Healthy fats with every meal.

I know many dont like ppl ONLY recommending low carb diets, but it works for MOST…see if it does for you. You will know if it does, by you keeping/gaining strength in the gym, dropping fat and still been relatively full of energy.

Also you are not eating anywhere near enough…at 6.1ft, you should aim to be at at least 200lbs + at 8% bro…You will look too skinny at 170lbs IMO.

GJ

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Troll[/quote]

X2

but this one did his homework

Thanks so much to the people who helped, and FUCK YOU to those that said ‘troll’; I’m not trolling (that’s really the first time I’ve ever had anyone call me that on a forum, and I’ve been on internet forums for years now…),

I’m just so friggin’ frustrated because I’ve been working at this for over 10 years now without really getting results and I’m SO frustrated.

I’ve done Atkins (works, but it sucks), Sugarbusters (doesn’t work), The Zone (doesn’t work), and this French/Mediterranean diet thing that I can’t even explain but it DID work for me at the time (anyone ever read Will Clower’s ‘The Fat Fallacy’? really good book).

I’ve been lifting on and off since I was in 8th grade and just never got anything remotely resembling the results I wanted and there’s SO much conflicting advice out there, even on this forum you’ve got two articles recommending drastically different things:

the V-diet says 1500 calories per day and Thibaudeau’s article on basic nutrition was more like 2500-2700–HUGE difference…

It’s frustrating because it’s confusing and for every particular method or diet you’ve got 100 people backing it up and saying “yes, it worked for me!” and you’re like “wait, BOTH these diets worked for these people and they give totally conflicting advice? something’s fishy here…”

you might be confusing the definition of diet.

A few things:

read about the science of nutrition and the human response to certain foods, learn from what you read. Don’t get your ‘diet’ from the side of a cereal box or late night TV ad. Did you read the book for Atkins?

Calm the fuck down. Like mentioned earlier, stress doesn’t help you at all.

At 6’1" 170 you will look disgusting. Like was said before.

Figure out how your body works, and not even knowing you i can tell it HATES constantly switching ‘diets’.

Your diet should be a life style, even if it isn’t strict, it should be a way you live, not something you do for a few months to lose some weight. It takes time, like it was mentioned before.

Yeah everyone’s body is different, and responds to different things in different ways. Oh shit, I just told the fishy secret of the universe…

I’m guessing that you’ve got that ‘skinny fat’ look? And you’re probably wanting to see your abs since you mentioned ‘whats his name’ in Fight Club?

The above posters are correct, at 6’1 losing 25 lbs or so is not going to be a good look by any stretch. You’d be better off getting into a good 5x5 routine of solid compound lifts like squat, bench, DL, bent row etc 3x week adding weight to the bar each time.

Try for a 5 lbs increase each time on these lifts. A good starter goal is 1.5 times BW on the squat. By the time you reach that goal your BF will probably be lower while your weight the same or possibly even higher. Added benefit is you’ll look stronger and be healthier.

The caveat to this is that 1500 kcal per day isn’t going to cut it. Your body has gone into starvation mode and your muscle will go before your fat stores. Up the food to at least DOUBLE!!! Spread it out over 6 meals and YES…it will help your BF % to go down provided you bust your ass on the program.

And if it’s abs you want…squat heavy!

Why would you use the Velocity Diet calorie calculator if you’re not on the Velocity Diet? It’s a 28-day liquid diet and is a calorie level that is only meant to be maintained for a short duration of time.

My advice is to increase your calories to at least bodyweight times ten (so 1940 kcal/day for you, but increase to that number over the next couple weeks), lift four times a week with the heavy sessions and lactate workouts that Gymjunkie mentioned, continue your NEPA walks, and reassess after 2-3 weeks.

If you’re not making the progress you desire, get your Biosignature done. As Gymjunkie said, certain deficiencies could have your body in panic mode.

If you can’t shell out the cash for the Biosig protocols, then you probably need to focus on something else in life while maintaining your lifting and healthy eating. If you stop obsessing over it and shift your focus, time and consistency may get you where you want to be.

Sounds like your on the right path, try to get some sort of HIIT going 3 times a week and the other 2-3 some steady cardio for 20min or so. Try dropping carbs completley to like 20-30 grams/day and then after doing all that you just have to wait, it takes some time.

I use one of those tanita scales right now too, says I’m about where your at bodyfat wise, it’s sort of a frusterating place to be because your not fat-looking, but you have this fat around your gut you just want gone, at least for me anyways.

I’m restricting carbs and calories, working out 3-4 days per week and have yet to do cardio, sort of “saving it” for when I need it. But you know, losing an average of 1 lb/week is healthy and nothing is wrong with results of any kind. Just have to accept we can’t get abs overnight, going to take a bit of time and bit of hard work bro.

[quote]Shaman1911 wrote:
I’m trying to cut (at least 2 lbs/week), I’m on 1500 calories per day, roughly 20-30% carbs, 20-30% fat, and 40-60% protein, ALL carbs are complex and the majority of them are consumed early in the day

(the later in the day it gets, the less the meal will consist of carbs–last meal of the day is almost always just tuna and mayo at 160 cals, 90 of which are fat and 70 protein). I lift twice a week, and do a 30 minute SEPA-style walk EVERY day,

I’ve calculated that I’m burning over 3000 calories per day, I lost 2.8 pounds last week when I first started this, this week I’ve lost nothing, JUST like the last two times I tried!!! WTF?!!?

The time before that was the same deal, except 1800 calories–same results (2-4 pound loss the first week, nada after that). I also tried 2300 calories, everything else the same, and what was interesting about that was that I gained 2 pounds BUT my scale said my bodyfat dropped 0.5%,

HOWEVER you need to keep in mind that this was a Tanita scale that does the electrical resistance thing method which supposedly has an error of like 3-5% so that 0.5% drop could mean nothing (although I’m extremely consistent about the conditions under which I measure and as a result the scale tends to give very consistent results, sooo…??)

All I want to do is get my bodyfat down to 5-7%, this could be at 170 pounds and I’d be happy with that (I’m 25 years old, 6’1", 194 and the Tanita scale I’ve got says about 18.5% bodyfat),

I’m concerned about looks not performance, so if I could look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club or Snatch (dude was MAYBE 160-170 in those) I’d be friggin’ ecstatic.

Please help, what the hell is going on here??

Oh, and I settled on 1500 calories because 1800 and 2300 hadn’t seemed to really work, and when I put my info into the Velocity diet calculations it said I should be taking in around 1400-1600 calories per day and those guys were dropping insane amounts of weight like 3-4 pounds per week and maintaining muscle…[/quote]

I called Troll because you’re eating less than a woman who weighs less than you, you actually believe Tanita bf analysis is accurate, and you want to look like Brad Pitt while posting on a board where size and strength are prized.

If you aren’t a troll, well, read a LOT on this site. It will help.

Hey, tanita BF analysis is pretty decent, for what it is. It does fluctuate with your %water content, but for the most part, when I had a “4-pak” I was ~10% on that thing, which is what guys need to be to attain that.

And I’m about 17%ish according to it now which looks appropriate to the amount of fat I should lose, but we’ll see when I get back down to 10%

[quote]skohcl wrote:
Hey, tanita BF analysis is pretty decent, for what it is. It does fluctuate with your %water content, but for the most part, when I had a “4-pak” I was ~10% on that thing, which is what guys need to be to attain that.

And I’m about 17%ish according to it now which looks appropriate to the amount of fat I should lose, but we’ll see when I get back down to 10%[/quote]

My Tanita has measured me from 40% to 22% at a 5lb body weight variance. Maybe I got the retard Tanita, but you’re the only person I’ve spoken with who has any confidence in the brand.

Do what George Costanza does.

Everything you are doing is completely wrong, so do the exact opposite.

Do you have any pics?

Not to burst your bubble but if you are not an ecto-mesomorph you probably won’t look like brad pitt in fight club.

First, realize you have a unique set of genetics. If you naturally carry around 16-18% bodyfat it will be hard to have a six pack at all times.

Second, you have to realize that dieting is not a short-term venture, it is constant. Quick fix diets can help you lose bf quick but it is hard to keep it that way. Your metabolism slows down and though you may be winning the battle you are really losing the war.

Third, your workouts have to be sound. If you are dedicated to seeing results do one body part each day starting with compound movements ending with isolation.

Fourth, you have to look into cardio. When is your body most likely to use fat as fuel instead of carbs? When you first wake up and after a dynamic weight-training session.

If you want more info e-mail me

I have the most consistent Tanita scale in history. Unless I drink a prodigious amount of water throughout a day, it always gives me the right numbers (close enough anyway) I’ve never had ti give me more than a 2% variance from day to day.