T Nation

I Can Only Train Once Per Week

Whats my workout?

Bit of a FRAT:

Due to various cirucmstance i can now only lift once a week. My current goal is to maintain my strength while going down in weight, i was thinking along these lines:

Front Squat
Stiff Legged Deadlift
Incline Bench
Pull Ups
Military Press
Power Clean
Standing EZ Curl
Tricep Dips

1 set, 5 reps each.

A popular powerlifitng forum gives this advice:

Program For Those Who Can Only Train Once Per Week

Choose a maximum effort exercise (floor press, 2,3 board presses, incline or reverse band press). Switch them weekly. Then perform top end work, between rack lockouts or 4 or 5 board presses. Then low end work, 3-5 sets of 8-12 of dumbbell flat, incline or floor presses. Then finish off with intense lat work.

Let me know what you all think.

That looks good, it doesn’t matter how much you train. I work at a YMCA part time and I see guys come in there 7 days a week and get no gains because they are not training with INTENSITY. If you hit it hard, eat right and rest the gains will follow. Just my two cents.

Once a week ???

Why cant you do push ups ???
Any trees near by for pull/chin ups ??

Do Bulgarian Squats from a chair…
Do single leg squats…

No excuse why you can only find time ONCE a week !

Chris Shugart said it best:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=912565

I didnt want to go into too much detail Corkonian, but if you insist, heres a FRAT warning:

I went through a fucked period, I had a friend found murdered, had some family issues, a colleague who covered my shift & got stabbed 5x etc., just kinda went off the rails with food & training.

Stopped caring about both, now that ive decided to suck it up & quit being a bitch, im over weight… and i want to go down a weight div. lower than we first planned.

Now im eating 2000 cals a day, 40:30:30 PCF, 6 skills sessions at night a week (varying between boxing, BJJ, MT, wrestling etc.) & 3 longer distance cardio sessions & 2 HIIT cardio sessions. Just the S&C i need to add in.

For the record, i work a fast paced office job 0800-1600 Mon-Fri, Bounce 1800-0500 Fri & Sat night + run my own web-based MMA store. I Train S&C before work & Train skills after work Mon-Fri & Sat arvo’s, ill do my weight session Sunday arvo. So yeah, my CNS gets a kick in the nuts & im probably borderline chronic/adrenal fatigue sufferer. I keep my caffeine for when i need it & resetting sleep patterns.

I got plenty of time to get down in weight, but the sooner i do, the sooner im back in the ring. Cutting is not an option as they’re all same day weigh-ins.

once per week & only ONE set?

Not to sound harsh, but if you’re health is going down the shitter like you say, then sounds like you might need to think about how you’re going to change your time situation so you can take better care of yourself.

I know that’s not a “typical” answer, but it’s the truth.

I didn’t read every bit of that, but is getting up a bit earlier, before your 8am shift to go to the gym or do a home BW workout an option?

Jehovas… i gotta do what i can while i can. My health isnt too bad… yet.

PF_88 - im up at 0500-0530 daily & home 2130-2230 a night. Then i get ready for the next day, lol.

On your one day in the gym, train heavy with sets of 1-3 and very high volume.

Make sure to at least hit:

Deadlift and/or squat
Overhead pressing
Some form of pulling (preferably horizontal)

The rest of the days, will have to be pushups,pullups, BW rows, stepups, 1-leg squats, lunges, etc.

Also, you can throw in plyometrics with BW stuff, like clapping pushups, pulllups, jump squats, etc.

Not optimal, but will be ok if its just temporary.

Here’s what I’d do if I were in your shoes, sjfou: CNS thrashing training with moderate to heavy weights; the rationale being that one week in-between your sessions should be sufficient to recover.

Instead of spitting out detailed routines, I’m gonna give you an idea what I’m talking about with the following example:

*** barbell back squat
Pick a weight you can manage for 10 full ROM ATTG reps and do breathing squats. Up the weight once you’ve reached 30 reps (that’s not a typo). Do that for 3 sets.

I’d select exercises that involve both the upper and lower body (the clean and press comes to mind).

[quote]sjfou wrote:
Jehovas… i gotta do what i can while i can. My health isnt too bad… yet.

PF_88 - im up at 0500-0530 daily & home 2130-2230 a night. Then i get ready for the next day, lol.[/quote]

OK i see everyone making excuses NOT to give you help here… excuses are excuses in my view!!

If you lifting once a week, i would personally do a hell of a session, high volume, whatever rep range you enjoy, whether that is PL, BB, powerbuilding… whatever, you will get SOME results man. Your weight should drop off too TBH. You are doing alot.

It takes alot to come back from hardship this i undestand, i also understand it is only the strongest individuals who can. The most motivated, strong and powerful minds who bounce back, whether it feels like that at the time is another matter… :wink:

I would go full body of course, so what are your rep ranges likely to be and i will write something up quickly…

Joe

I didnt see FattyFats post there… he is right, i like tha too…

Thanks gents, i really appreciate your intelligent input.

JJ - odds are reps will be low, 5 reps i assume unless you better educated lifters advise me otherwise.

Anyone else? Im going to search DeFrancos archives now…

i do plan a balls-to-the-wall-vomit-inducing session, as said above, i do have 6 days to recover.

[quote]sjfou wrote:
[/quote]

You should go to the gym instead.

[quote]mwyatt wrote:
sjfou wrote:

You should go to the gym instead.[/quote]

Already been, at one of my jobs now.

So mywatt, you got enough time to troll, what are your thoughts on a program?

[quote]sjfou wrote:
mwyatt wrote:
sjfou wrote:

You should go to the gym instead.

Already been, at one of my jobs now.

So mywatt, you got enough time to troll, what are your thoughts on a program?[/quote]

Fair enough, here’s what I’d do:

Squat
RDL
Bench Press
Chins
Military Press
Row

2 x 10 for all exercises. Maybe add arm/ab work at home on an off day if your schedule allows.

Cheers - ab/arm work im not too fussed on. I train ab work daily after each cardio session & then some more in class at night.

i also do grip & neck at home afterwards, and the arms get mashed boxing…

Bent-over row to finish?

[quote]sjfou wrote:
Cheers - ab/arm work im not too fussed on. I train ab work daily after each cardio session & then some more in class at night.

i also do grip & neck at home afterwards, and the arms get mashed boxing…

Bent-over row to finish?[/quote]

I probably wouldn’t want to do bent rows after having done RDL, so maybe machine or dumbell rows instead.

1 set of 5 reps–once a week. Sounds like you will be doing a lot of work once a week for nothing. I cant see how this program can yield any results.