I Bought a Neck Harness. Am I Dumb?

I use it a few times a week for high reps as a superset with abs as “rest” in between squat and dead sets. I file it under “couldn’t hurt” and just general maintenance… how could it possibly hurt to have a stronger neck?

1 Like

sleep apnea is usually the thing people site as a drawback to a bigger neck

It doesnt… But ironically I started in a thread I started on this very forum stating it as a draw back and could lead to it or be a possible risk factor. But its not the only factor… considering I have sleep apnea along with a 21 inch neck.

What is your current neck measurement ?

1 Like

good question. I’ll have to get back to you on that. I carry water weight in my face naturally which sucks, it’s one of the last ares to lean out. so my neck isn’t small.

Just a thought but I don’t feel like most people need to train the back of the neck. The front and sides absolutely. But those can be done with nothing or just a plate. Most people you see have a kind of curve in the back of the neck(like almost hunched over look) from sitting, driving, sleeping on like 14 pillows. Train the front of the neck and it will kind of bring that back into a neutral position. Its sort of like training abs but not the low back directly keeps you from having the Donald duck ass. Plus the front and sides are what stabilizes your head and makes you harder to knock out (which is always a plus).

Neh. It’s actually the sternocleidomastoidmastoid that causes nerd neck, and when you strengthen the other muscles in the back of the neck/spine it balances out like a force coupling.

1 Like

nerd neck? is that what they call it? I’m sure this name is going to change because some millennials and almost all of Gen Z have a forward tilting neck posture.

I dunno. There is actually a formal name for it, but I can’t think of it off of the top of my head. I just heard it somewhere and it stuck.

I’m pretty sure Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson addressed it pretty thoroughly a few years ago though. May have been part of the Neanderthal No More series (site search will probably give it to you.)

I have a feeling that’s probably because people with big necks tend to be big people, not a thick or trained neck on a 180-210lb male

5 Likes

Not true. Singers have big necks.

Take a look at a metal singers neck… check out Corey Taylor from Slipknot. Small dude with a massive fucking neck lol

Proportional to their size, yeah.

Um, no I think he has a fucking huge neck, period.

https://images.app.goo.gl/AN7rWSaMGj4rzFr88

look at the size of this fucking neck yoooo hahahahaha

1 Like

And that’s fine. I think he has a big one proportional to his size.

instead of skipping leg day, he’s skipping body day.

dude is a walking neck

I’m saying the guys with big necks who get sleep apnea tend to be HUGE guys, not that it’s impossible to have a big neck.

Think Brian Shaw or Hafthor, not Corey Taylor. In other words if you’re under 200lbs your risk of sleep apnea is massively low even if you add some girth to your neck, but if you’re over 300 that becomes an issue.

It’s not from singing though, just head banging. Look at George Fisher from Cannibal Corpse.

I’ve seen him live a few times now and he literally never stops swinging his neck and hair around.

1 Like

That’s insane when your neck muscles stick out laterally past your ears.

I think it’s probably a combination of screaming and head banging .

I would guess much more the head banging.

yeah, it’s probably that.