I Benched 300 Pounds!

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Great job man, keep it up.[/quote]

Sorry for hijack, but who the **** is that guy in your avatar? Those aren’t lats, those are aeroplane wings!

[/quote]

That’s Rory Liedelmeyer. Great BBer from back in the 80’s. Actually improved dramatically after retiring.

Sorry Sento! I had to chime in., Rory was one of my faves back in the day.

I’ve become more and more cognizant of balance as I’ve gotten older, so I BB Row frequently as well, at this point my row is very close to what my flat bench is.

well done.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
did it taste like strawberries and feel like warm socks on a winter day?[/quote]

Felt like hot chocolate and a soft blanket, also on a Winter day. Actually it was kind of weird. My spotter shook my hand which was nice, but I always thought I’d feel different somehow. Maybe if I had done it a year into lifting instead of having been doing this for several years and gradually getting closer, it’d feel more momentous.

Maybe it’s a sign that with regards to health/fitness/diet I’m thoroughly ensconced in the T-Nation bracket, because I felt no different, and immediately started plotting my assault on 315 and then 365 after that.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
did it taste like strawberries and feel like warm socks on a winter day?[/quote]

Felt like hot chocolate and a soft blanket, also on a Winter day. Actually it was kind of weird. My spotter shook my hand which was nice, but I always thought I’d feel different somehow. Maybe if I had done it a year into lifting instead of having been doing this for several years and gradually getting closer, it’d feel more momentous.

Maybe it’s a sign that with regards to health/fitness/diet I’m thoroughly ensconced in the T-Nation bracket, because I felt no different, and immediately started plotting my assault on 315 and then 365 after that. [/quote]

You’re right. Everytime you reach a goal you’ll realize its just a drop in the bucket. Constant humbling, for me…One more rep…faster…5 more pounds…get leaner…

=)

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:

Maybe it’s a sign that with regards to health/fitness/diet I’m thoroughly ensconced in the T-Nation bracket, because I felt no different, and immediately started plotting my assault on 315 and then 365 after that. [/quote]

Congrats! I know what your saying here about the T-Nation bracket. I felt good the 1st I benched 315 until I logged on to T-Nation someone posted a video of 315 for reps like it was nothing. Fuck! Onward and upward.

Ah, I always thought that dude in Sento’s avatar was Eduardo Kawak!

Coolness OP and well done.

That’s a pretty awesome gift before Xmas!

I’m right in the neighborhood too (I did a double with 295 a couple weeks ago). Lets face it, the real excitement is going to occur at 3 plates per side (315). Still a good accomplishment though!!!

Daps.

Onward to 405.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
I’ve become more and more cognizant of balance as I’ve gotten older, so I BB Row frequently as well, at this point my row is very close to what my flat bench is. [/quote]

[hijack]I’ve found that too much bb rowing actually aggravates my shoulder. I have had luck with pendlay rows, power snatches, and cable rows as primary upper back exercises. Anyone have a maybe a broad estimation of where the pendlay row should be in proportion to the bench to ensure good shoulder health.[/hijack]

Awsome job OP! I’ve been sitting on a 285 for a few months :frowning: Can’t figure what I’m doing wrong. I think too much emphasis on the bottom portion and not enough on the middle. With the bottom real strong now though, I’m hoping the weights will fly up.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

Awsome job OP! I’ve been sitting on a 285 for a few months :frowning: Can’t figure what I’m doing wrong. I think too much emphasis on the bottom portion and not enough on the middle. With the bottom real strong now though, I’m hoping the weights will fly up.[/quote]

Have you gained any weight in that time? I remember plateauing at 315 for over 4 months. All it took to break it was bumping my protein from 320 to 400g and gaining 5 lbs of bodyweight. I went from around 315 to 335 in less than 2 months.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

Awsome job OP! I’ve been sitting on a 285 for a few months :frowning: Can’t figure what I’m doing wrong. I think too much emphasis on the bottom portion and not enough on the middle. With the bottom real strong now though, I’m hoping the weights will fly up.[/quote]

Have you gained any weight in that time? I remember plateauing at 315 for over 4 months. All it took to break it was bumping my protein from 320 to 400g and gaining 5 lbs of bodyweight. I went from around 315 to 335 in less than 2 months.[/quote]

Gaining bodyweight (hopefully muscle) will most certainly help.

Have you ever done and board pressing? Like 2board bench or 3board bench? I used to have a pretty solid sticking point a few inches off the chest and I added in some 2board work. I only did it once a week for a few months and it pretty much erased my sticking point.

I knew I was strong enough to lift the weights I was attempting but was getting stuck at that point. After doing the board presses I don’t really have that issue anymore. Something to think about and maybe try?

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

Have you gained any weight in that time? I remember plateauing at 315 for over 4 months. All it took to break it was bumping my protein from 320 to 400g and gaining 5 lbs of bodyweight. I went from around 315 to 335 in less than 2 months.[/quote]

No… but usually my bench is relatively unaffected by weight gain/loss (my squat is hugely affected, deadlift even less affected than bench). Once I get some GI issues sorted, I’ll try it out. Unfortunately, gaining weight is out of the question atm. Just maintaining is hell right now. I’ve been stuck for about 4 months. Many of my assistance exercises and rep maximums have gone up though.