T Nation

I am Proud of Myself

After not dead lifting and squatting since early February (because of concerns over hurting my back) I went into the gym today, loaded a hex bar with 35 lb plates (to keep a solid range of motion) and pulled 305 lbs! I say not bad for someone who hasn’t been in the game for so long. I’m just starting the WSFSB program and I hope to pull 315 next week!

Yay for me. Never thought I would have gotten past 225 to be honest. It’s amazing how muscle can retain strength.

Very cool, man. Keep it going.

Good to see someone happy about themself for a change.

Good work dude, I hope to reach a 140kg pull myself some day.

[quote]florelius wrote:
Good to see someone happy about themself for a change.

Good work dude, I hope to reach a 140kg pull myself some day.[/quote]

You’ll get there. I used the stronglifts 5x5 method originally and I went from deadlifing maybe 225 jumping to 315 in 3 months. I always had problems with that program though with regards to stalling so I changed to WS4SB.

Also train your grip strength. Its not in the 5x5 program but you should do farmers walks, increasing the weight each workout.

Good job man. Just remember to try and keep your back straight (not saying that you don’t, just be careful coming back after a break as your support muscles might be a bit weaker)

[quote]Aero51 wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:
Good to see someone happy about themself for a change.

Good work dude, I hope to reach a 140kg pull myself some day.[/quote]

You’ll get there. I used the stronglifts 5x5 method originally and I went from deadlifing maybe 225 jumping to 315 in 3 months. I always had problems with that program though with regards to stalling so I changed to WS4SB.

Also train your grip strength. Its not in the 5x5 program but you should do farmers walks, increasing the weight each workout. [/quote]

Thanks for the tips :slight_smile:

I am currently using 5/3/1 so it might be a bit slower approach. My personal best is 120kg, but aint there now because of a bit unconsistant training year. Hope I am close to 140kg in the spring.

[quote]florelius wrote:
Thanks for the tips :slight_smile:

I am currently using 5/3/1 so it might be a bit slower approach. My personal best is 120kg, but aint there now because of a bit unconsistant training year. Hope I am close to 140kg in the spring.

[/quote]

I recently did some high reps with a manageable weight because of a small plateau and the week after I hit a new PR. I tried this again a few days ago and managed 100kgx15 with energy to spare, it seems to be working as I almost got 180kgx3 (failed the 3rd one) after 5 1/2 months training. That said I have been very consistent and only missed one week out of 22.

I dont think I could do high reps with deads simply because you can fatigue so easily and thus compromise form. I stick with the hex bar because it is very easy to keep a straight back. One thing I have noticed though is grip strength plays a huge part in deadlifting ability. I worked up to 305 in 50 and 20 lb increments over 6 sets and still could farmers walk with 275 lbs at the end of the day. I can train the farmers like I used to because my gym gave me shit about walking the track with a loaded hex bar. Used to walk 75ish feet with 225 now im stuck to 20 ft…

Cant*

Hell yeah, update. For my max effort upper body I went fron 195x1 last week to 195x4 this week on the bench! Also pulled 315 on the trap bar deadlift up 10 lbs from last week…And I did 4 farmers walks for 30-50 feet at about 285 lbs. Ik thats not a lot of weight but im getting stronger! I love doing farmers because its like doing extra deadlifts and I feel like a badass walking down the gym hallway with the loaded trap bar.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
Hell yeah, update. For my max effort upper body I went fron 195x1 last week to 195x4 this week on the bench! Also pulled 315 on the trap bar deadlift up 10 lbs from last week…And I did 4 farmers walks for 30-50 feet at about 285 lbs. Ik thats not a lot of weight but im getting stronger! I love doing farmers because its like doing extra deadlifts and I feel like a badass walking down the gym hallway with the loaded trap bar.[/quote]
Awesome! Keep on going. :slight_smile: