T Nation

I Am Not A Weightlifter...

[quote]Tomasz Sosnowski wrote:
thank you for the great video. kai is making a great point. he repeats squeeze&contract, full rom and he is right, but he is a top pro bb and he doesn’t have to focus on the poundages. his aim is work the muscle and remain possible injury free. he is a very strong bb and know how to lift ass heavy weigt.

i think that if you are a novice/beginner you should aim at “weightlifting” instead of “bodybuilding” even if your primary goal is to build muscle. the novice/beginner needs his share of strain and full body contraction to build a foundation of overall gym performance. then he can (if the goal remains the same) focus on bb - squeeze&contract.

whatchu doing today?
the weightlifter answers: squats or pulls or presses. the bb answers: chest or delts or quads.

i like the CT approach to bb: performe in the gym at your best (weightlifting - the perfect rep) to achieve best hypertrophy. have fun at lifting weights and build muscle at the same time.

the iron game is not black or white (wl or bb). it is grey. and harmony can be found. [/quote]

good post. like your points. as mentioned i wrote the above piece as consequence to kai’s latest vid. striking balance is key, and kai does at times lift some heavy ass weight.

off to train back tonite, some heavy movements some more squeezing stuff. good lifts to all, even you andyPB.

this thread is awesome

This thread is full of lolz.

Oly weightlifters should prob stop reading and/or posting in the bodybuilding forum. Things get silly.

[quote]bugeishaAD wrote:

Oly weightlifters should prob stop reading and/or posting in the bodybuilding forum. Things get silly.[/quote]

you think?

see i think that things get silly when people yell ‘fuck you’ like a two year old instead of taking their error on board and learning something from it.

if bodybuilders don’t want oly lifters to chime on in they probably shouldn’t talk about oly lifting.

'cept i think that is kinda silly, too. back in the good old days there wasn’t such a distinction between weightlifting, powerlifting, bodybuilding, and strongman quite the way there is now. i think that lots can be learned from the different approaches.

to harp back to a point i made earlier… QUALITY of activation might well be something that is perhaps sometimes undervalued in powerlifting and weightlifting and strongman. In these strength sports strength is obviously the focus - however activating the right muscles in the right sequence is surely likely to result in more weight moved eventually even if not in the short term.

but maybe that was a bit hard for ya to understand… perhaps the idea is just to suck OP’s dick ‘right on brother’ rather than actually trying to engage…

[quote]alexus wrote:

[quote]bugeishaAD wrote:

Oly weightlifters should prob stop reading and/or posting in the bodybuilding forum. Things get silly.[/quote]

you think?

see i think that things get silly when people yell ‘fuck you’ like a two year old instead of taking their error on board and learning something from it.

if bodybuilders don’t want oly lifters to chime on in they probably shouldn’t talk about oly lifting.

'cept i think that is kinda silly, too. back in the good old days there wasn’t such a distinction between weightlifting, powerlifting, bodybuilding, and strongman quite the way there is now. i think that lots can be learned from the different approaches.

to harp back to a point i made earlier… QUALITY of activation might well be something that is perhaps sometimes undervalued in powerlifting and weightlifting and strongman. In these strength sports strength is obviously the focus - however activating the right muscles in the right sequence is surely likely to result in more weight moved eventually even if not in the short term.

but maybe that was a bit hard for ya to understand… perhaps the idea is just to suck OP’s dick ‘right on brother’ rather than actually trying to engage…[/quote]

What the hell are you talking about?

You were the one that came in here pointing out a stupid grammatical mistake, even though the OPs post was obviously talking about bodybuilding.

The type of activation refereed to in the OP and the video are totally different than the one needed for Oly lifting. I can tell you because I have done both. Maybe you should use some common sense next time, if the topic is started in the Bodybuilding forum then it’s obviously about BODYBUILDING and not about powerlifting or weightlifting.

First off this thread started off really good and serious then got quite funny. Lots of people getting angry over lots internet nothing. Like spacing come on.

But one thing about olypmic or power moves like power high pulls or clean. It really activates your nervous system allowing you to move heavier weights and get a better MMC. While ramping up on bench i was doing power high pulls inbetween sets light and very explosive. Hit an easy PR on bench then moved into my back workout and my lats fired better than they ever have. To the point of cramping.

Just food for though.

[quote]alexus wrote:

[quote]bugeishaAD wrote:

you think?

but maybe that was a bit hard for ya to understand… perhaps the idea is just to suck OP’s dick ‘right on brother’ rather than actually trying to engage…[/quote]

lol

not worth responding to in a serious manner.

BUT

i like you.

This seems like elitist bullshit to me.

If someone says they’re a “weightlifter” you know immediately what that means just by looking at them. I dont need to apply different variations of words related to people who lift weights to know if someone “trains” or just “jerks off”

If Matt Kroc bumps into me at the gym one day and says he’s a weightlifter, i understand that what he’s doing is a little more than just filling his day.

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
…But one thing about olypmic or power moves like power high pulls or clean. It really activates your nervous system allowing you to move heavier weights and get a better MMC[/quote]

maybe, but that wasn’t quite what I meant.

consider the humble squat. lets make it a back squat.
you can (eventually) move more weight in the squat by driving the weight up by pushing your hips through under the bar on your ascent.
in other words, by using your glutes and your hammies.

i see a lot of people squatting where they shift their weight forward more onto the balls of their feet so they are using less glute / hammie and more quad. sort of pulling themselves up with their quads rather than pushing themselves up with their glutes and hammies.

from a bodybuilding perspective… it would seem to be optimal to drop the weight in order to train hip drive out the hole (it would work your glutes / hammies better). assuming of course one is doing back squats in order to work ones glutes / hammies rather than one having some other purpose.

from an olympic weightlifting perspective… it would seem to be optimal to drop the weight in order to train hip drive out the hole (it will ultimately be possible to move greater weights in this fashion).

from a powerlifting perspective… it would seem to be optimal to drop the weight in order to train hip drive out the hole (it will ultimately be possible to move greater weights in this fashion).

… hopefully you get the idea.

of course to the person who is in the gym to show off rather than to actually improve and make progress all they care about is getting the weight up any old how. of course olympic weightlifters and powerlifters award no points for style in competition - but they do care rather a lot about training proper activation in training - because proper recruitment will enable them to lift the most weight at the end of the day.

i do get that time under tension is more important for bodybuilding than other strength sports. e.g., i do my rows in order to develop explosive lat contraction. i use greater weight than i would if i cared about maximal activation and wanted to do sets of 10 or so for greater time under tension. the way i do my rows i take a deep breath and explode up then basically drop the weight (negatives give me DOMS which gives me stiffness which gives me slowness for olympic weightlifting).

but… something i have been wondering about (and come to the bodybuilding forum because i actually care to learn) is whether it might be useful for me to do things more bodybuilding-style at least some of the time. that the focus on control of individual muscles and on maximal muscular contraction might well have a pay-off with respect to balancing that with motor control patterns for compound movements. might eventually have a pay-off with respect to strength. perhaps…

Why is there a semantics thread here?

man…i love it, i leave this thread for a bit, and now i’m getting blowjobs from dudes, AWESOME!

wait, what the fuck. Gross.

look i wrote something thoughtful, this BB forum has some good shit and some silly shit. i’m by no means a beast, huge, complete w/ my goals. i am however a thoughtful fucker who has worked hard over the last 5 yrs, read the opening post, watch the kai vid…take from it what you want.

i learn from huge fuckers and skinny dudes, learning, bits and pieces anyway are all around us. taking something completely fucking stupid and tweeking it a bit and you’ve discovered something that works for you.

i wrote thoughtfully initially but the reply and posts thereafter from me became shit, fuck, dick suck bullshit. i don’t care, i write thoughtfully when i want, read and respond as i see fit. sometimes it’s clinical thoughtful writing other times it’s easyrider.

i don’t care to bash anyone, split hairs, whatever. this site is for learning, discussion, and to be amused at times too.

^^are you really in your mid to late 30’s?

[quote]gregron wrote:
^^are you really in your mid to late 30’s?[/quote]

why do you ask? my boyish good looks or my, at times, Beavis n Butthead sentence structure?

january 1975 brother. i just know you’re setting me up for an insult gregon but, oh well, i suppose that would be par for course in this wacky thread, i did make gay references about your mustashe so have at it.

i picked up my first weight (well bullshit sportatic training in college doesn’t count) in 2006 at a bricked up 146lbs @ nearly 6’0" at age 31.

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

why do you ask? my boyish good looks or my, at times, Beavis n Butthead sentence structure?

january 1975 brother. i just know you’re setting me up for an insult gregon but, oh well, i suppose that would be par for course in this wacky thread, i did make gay references about your mustashe so have at it.

i picked up my first weight (well bullshit sportatic training in college doesn’t count) in 2006 at a bricked up 146lbs @ nearly 6’0" at age 31.[/quote]

I’m not questioning your dedication to the “iron game”… Its just the way that most of your posts come across. TBH, they do not sound like the posts of a full grown adult male. no offense, thats not why I’m here (to make fun of other posters) I’m just stating my observations.

I totally forgot about this thread, lol. glad cyruseven made it interesting (yet again!)

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

i picked up my first weight (well bullshit sportatic training in college doesn’t count) in 2006 at a bricked up 146lbs @ nearly 6’0" at age 31.[/quote]

I’m not questioning your dedication to the “iron game”… Its just the way that most of your posts come across. TBH, they do not sound like the posts of a full grown adult male. no offense, thats not why I’m here (to make fun of other posters) I’m just stating my observations.[/quote]

that is fair i suppose, if it seems my “internet voice” comes across to you as mentioned “TBH, not like the posts of full grown adult male.” then well…i guess i am finally made. i knew all along i should take the micro-second and depress the shift key as i type “i.” it is a lazy habit of mine, and comes across child-like.

so does my OP seems written in a non-structured, non-adult format? or just my replies? the truth is i am a nine year old schizoaffective girl named Lisa, my father was a bodybuilder, he died in a bus rollover in 2004, i read and write about BB to keep his memory alive. skitsofrantic as most nine years olds might spell it, seems more fitting - skits so frantic.

i post as i do because it’s my in my nature as a writer and painter, i’ve never been considered typical in terms how i respond to the day to day small talk bullshit. i give straight forward answers at times but in places such as T-Nation, sometimes the recapitulation of concepts, phrases, everyone eventually gets it or doesn’t, listening to the same shit said roughly the same way in thread after thread gets to be old hat. i figure to create an identity that jumps out a bit more, it makes for better writing for me, and better reading for others.

the honest truth is i’m fairly close in personality to how i write when “sounding like a kid.” however, non-kid like - i’m a good friend, a good partner, a professional in my field(s). as i get older i care less and less about appearances/social graces, how i come off to others. seemingly though, i must care, i took the time to answer you though huh.

alright, breaking you down…gregon.

initially, seemed like a prick, thereafter more thoughtful than my initial take, nice guy who landed a woman you seem full taken by. always played it conservative, traditional family. the weight game has given you a confidence and a cadence to life that you seem to enjoy. you never get too edgy but the mustashe was your break away cool thing. fuck the establishment right? not an art english guy yourself but from a distance you’ve come to enjoy creative stuff more and more. big into baseball growing up had a knack for business and numbers early on, thought about the sciences but then were drawn back into business. if i’m wrong then you are likely a teacher now, shitting on that other stuff and going the even safer route, although it’s not as fiscally rewarding, maybe your into administration or sales though.

in addition to being an art/writer creative guy i’m a behavioral data analyst professionally and academically. my gf/wife lady (non-traditional not married but together for over a decade) is a md/phd so i try to keep up w/ her big brain reading many of her medical books, research journals). i’ve always felt good but not satisfied, rolling stone. sure i need a good shrink, i got shit like all of us, but i figure a few honest friends beats spending cash to cry in a chair about “losses you’ve endured.” i think i’ve peeled back my onion enough.

this has become an odd fucking thread. oh…one of my goals within the next 5 yrs is to have my own business online/or otherwise dealing w/ creative things related to gym/fitness genre topics/physicalities. we’ll see.

lolwut

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]alexus wrote:
you just needed to adopt a space.

weightlifting (the sport of olympic weightlifting)
weight lifting (the activity of lifting weights)[/quote]

fair enough, i suppose you are correct, but honestly…

go fuckyourself

OR

go fuck yourself, you pick em![/quote]
alexus is cool as fuck, and who the fuck are you?

fuckyou[/quote]

he’s cool as fuck is he? well great then, his attention to punctuation seems awesome so he has that going for him.

who the fuck am I? who the fuck are you? Andy peanutbutter bicep hairy nipple guy avatar with the dithered orange chroma!

man…you got balls kid. who the fuck am I? I’m a fucking guy sitting in his sweatpants drinking a protein shake w/ oats and almond butter. Who the fuck are you dick weed? Alexus’s pal I assume? One of his cronies sent in here to try and rough up my thread.

I’d get a bigger chest and shave that nipple hair down a bit before before I busted into a thread talking all that noise, Andy PeanutButter.
[/quote]

cyruseven75 for the win.
PeanutButter Andy… Hahaha

[quote]squat junky wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]alexus wrote:
you just needed to adopt a space.

weightlifting (the sport of olympic weightlifting)
weight lifting (the activity of lifting weights)[/quote]

fair enough, i suppose you are correct, but honestly…

go fuckyourself

OR

go fuck yourself, you pick em![/quote]
alexus is cool as fuck, and who the fuck are you?

fuckyou[/quote]

he’s cool as fuck is he? well great then, his attention to punctuation seems awesome so he has that going for him.

who the fuck am I? who the fuck are you? Andy peanutbutter bicep hairy nipple guy avatar with the dithered orange chroma!

man…you got balls kid. who the fuck am I? I’m a fucking guy sitting in his sweatpants drinking a protein shake w/ oats and almond butter. Who the fuck are you dick weed? Alexus’s pal I assume? One of his cronies sent in here to try and rough up my thread.

I’d get a bigger chest and shave that nipple hair down a bit before before I busted into a thread talking all that noise, Andy PeanutButter.
[/quote]

cyruseven75 for the win.
PeanutButter Andy… Hahaha[/quote]
whothefuckareyousquatjunky

weeeiiird thread