I Am Legend

I saw I Am Legend at a midnight showing on Thursday. Overall I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it. They split the difference between the original short story and The Omega Man, and I think it worked fairly well. It was genuinely suspenseful, they didn’t have to use any creepy music or sudden loud noises to make you jump. If you were paying attention, you just knew something wasn’t right, and bad stuff was about to go down. A lot of the holes in logic in the original story were closed by good writing, and they kepy the science/medical aspect convincing and simple enough to follow. There were also a lot of clever little gags about the future, apparently gas is going to be $6.50 a gallon by 2009.

On the down side, I wanted more action, and I thought the CG was pretty bad. There was better CG in The Mummy, and that came out 10 years ago. I have mixed feelings about the ending. It was good on its own, but I don’t think as good as the ending to either the short story or The Omega Man.

So, who’s seen it, and what did you think?

Also saw a few good previews. 10,000 BC looked interesting, and IRONMAN looked surprisingly good, kind of cheesy at first, but got me kinda hyped.

The only thing of consequence in that movie was the HUGE advertisement in the CGI Times Square for a Superman/Batman movie scheduled for release 6-15-2010. Now that sounds cool. IMO 28 Days Later and the sequel 28 Weeks Later were much better virus/zombie flicks.

Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price is the best version of I Am Legend, I don’t any many actors today who can act alone and make it believable like Price could. The way he played the character you could see him go slowly insane due to being alone and hunted by the vampires

Vincent Price, himself, was a legend. He is sadly missed. I shudder to think how many young kids today have not seen Dr Phibes.

Looking forward to the new movie though

Thought 28 days etc… was rubbish. Both movies had idiot lead actors who I wanted to die. I wanted their characters to die too.

i saw it last night. i thought it was alright, i was hoping it wasnt going to be a zombie movie but that changed about 2 minutes in lol.

the ending was ok, i thought it couldve been better it wasnt all that clever which are the type of endings i like but the bulk of the movie was a good mix of action and suspense. definately one of the better movies ive seen lately.

Agree, 2 thumbs up. Might have to go check ou the Vincent Price version on everyones recommendation.

Saw this tonight in the IMAX, awesome.

I have a thing for ‘end of humanity’ type of movies (28 Days Later, Children of Men, etc.), and this did an excellent job of bringing that feeling to the audience as well.

I think hopelessness, more-so than any other emotion, can be felt by the viewer of a film, and ‘Legend’ was very powerful in that regard.

Great movie, highly recommended, and see it in the IMAX if you can.

I really want to see this movie.
Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price has always been one of my favorites.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
There were also a lot of clever little gags about the future, apparently gas is going to be $6.50 a gallon by 2009.[/quote]

6.50? That’s bullshit. If that happens, I think I will finally write that letter to my congressman that I am always talking about…

I started a thread about this without realizing this was here [my bad]. I thought it was great. One of the best films I’ve seen in ages. I think the gas prices had to do more with the panic [like when they hike it up before a hurricane] than with being any kind of forecast. The Batman/Superman poster was cool, as was the pic of the Sistine [sp?] chapel hands with one hand holding a gun. Will Smith did an awesome job. I was really impressed. Having said that, the CGI was a little off when the action got hectic, but the story made me forget that. Go see it.

what a piece of shit this was.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
There were also a lot of clever little gags about the future, apparently gas is going to be $6.50 a gallon by 2009.

6.50? That’s bullshit. If that happens, I think I will finally write that letter to my congressman that I am always talking about…[/quote]

That’s a relief. I thought it was $650 per gallon.

I thought it was a really well done move, I havn’t read the short story or see any of the others but I thought it was really well done.

Like mentioned before the cg DID leave a little left to be desired but that was easily forgotten while watching the movie.

So, it is a remake of The Omega Man? I want to see it and from the reviews on this thread it sounds like it will be worth it. I thought Heston kicked ass in the original and want to see if Smith is as impressive.

D

i thought it was good. i have been telling my friends to see it. im not picky on the CG, although, sometimes the action scenes were a little difficult to “watch.” guess i get that for sitting in the very front row.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
So, it is a remake of The Omega Man? I want to see it and from the reviews on this thread it sounds like it will be worth it. I thought Heston kicked ass in the original and want to see if Smith is as impressive.

D[/quote]

As well as Price’s Last Man on Earth actaully Price’s version was most similar to the original Novel than Heston’s Omega Man

[quote]Dedicated wrote:

D[/quote]

Not exactly, they borrow some from The Omega Man, some from the original short story, and some elements are unique. Of the three, I liked this version the least, but that isn’t as negative as it sounds, because I really love both the original short story and the Charlton Heston version.

Smith does a great job. While he may not be as cool as Heston, he is a more well rounded actor. I’d give this one 4&1/2 stars.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
There were also a lot of clever little gags about the future, apparently gas is going to be $6.50 a gallon by 2009.

6.50? That’s bullshit. If that happens, I think I will finally write that letter to my congressman that I am always talking about…[/quote]

Check European prices per liter.

Saw it Sunday to take my mind off of the fucking pathetic Steelers. It worked. Good movie.

I thought it was good, very depressing at points, but good.

I have to say though, the character acted like a bitch when he got the knife in his leg. The sun’s about to go down and your dog’s going to be attacked by 3 infected mutts and you move like a fucking sloth toward your vehicle? What a vagina.

And yeah, the CGI was ass.