I am a Quad-Dominant Squatter

What did you guys expect anyway? The squat itself is mainly a quadriceps exercise as is. Balance it out with sprinting, doing some deadlifting and good mornings, and call it a day!!!

[quote]deadlift425 wrote:
What did you guys expect anyway? The squat itself is mainly a quadriceps exercise as is. Balance it out with sprinting, doing some deadlifting and good mornings, and call it a day!!![/quote]

You should learn something about powerlifting before you open your mouth to give advice on a powerlifting forum. Because you look like an idiot.

[quote]skizac wrote:
deadlift425 wrote:
What did you guys expect anyway? The squat itself is mainly a quadriceps exercise as is. Balance it out with sprinting, doing some deadlifting and good mornings, and call it a day!!!

You should learn something about powerlifting before you open your mouth to give advice on a powerlifting forum. Because you look like an idiot.[/quote]

+1

Off topic: I am just providing a response, not starting a keyboard cowboy war like some want to make it out to be. I don’t claim to be an expert on any subject, but have enough experience(10+years) to provide input just like the rest of you do as well.

Back on topic. If you want balance in your legs, keep your push/pull strength volume as equal as possible. That way you can minimize feeling weak in some areas and bring up your current lifts.

[quote]deadlift425 wrote:
What did you guys expect anyway? The squat itself is mainly a quadriceps exercise as is. Balance it out with sprinting, doing some deadlifting and good mornings, and call it a day!!![/quote]

I kinda agree with you that it will usually be a lot more quad involved than people think. Especially for RAW lifters that dont do ultra wide stance. Even deadlifting has more quad involvement than people think.

Bascially on either lift, if your shins are perpendicular, then your quads are involved to a significant degree.

Im not saying you should be a quad dominant squatter or anything. But everyone has this notion that all you gotta do is hammer away at posterior chain all the time. You gotta do both.

[quote]BSchroeder wrote:
Some will argue this is a bad thing, but my form is good and I still feel my quads the weak link in my squat.

I want to fix that by bringing my quads up. The question is, what ME lifts are best for that? Front squat, lunges, and what else?[/quote]

im confused. you want to bring up your quads but your quad dominant? can someone explain this to me? if you were quad dominant wouldnt you want to do more posterior chain work?

[quote]skizac wrote:
deadlift425 wrote:

You should learn something about powerlifting before you open your mouth to give advice on a powerlifting forum. Because you look like an idiot.[/quote]

i disagree. if he is oly squatting then it is quad dominant. if he is wide stance box squatting then its not quad dominant. as he doesnt say what type of squatting one assumes its oly stance and thus quad dominant.

[quote]seth.ewan wrote:
skizac wrote:
deadlift425 wrote:

You should learn something about powerlifting before you open your mouth to give advice on a powerlifting forum. Because you look like an idiot.

i disagree. if he is oly squatting then it is quad dominant. if he is wide stance box squatting then its not quad dominant. as he doesnt say what type of squatting one assumes its oly stance and thus quad dominant.[/quote]

The main issue I have is with the statement “the squat itself is mainly a quadriceps exercise”. This is not true no matter what style of squatting you’re doing. The squat works nearly every muscle in the body, and powerlifters are hitting all of those muscles hard in order to bring up their squat. You might as well say the clean is mainly a trapezius exercise.

[quote]skizac wrote:
seth.ewan wrote:
skizac wrote:
deadlift425 wrote:

i disagree. if he is oly squatting then it is quad dominant. if he is wide stance box squatting then its not quad dominant. as he doesnt say what type of squatting one assumes its oly stance and thus quad dominant.

The main issue I have is with the statement “the squat itself is mainly a quadriceps exercise”. This is not true no matter what style of squatting you’re doing. The squat works nearly every muscle in the body, and powerlifters are hitting all of those muscles hard in order to bring up their squat. You might as well say the clean is mainly a trapezius exercise.
[/quote]

Isn’t this the same guy that just ripped somebody about not knowing what they are talking about. Squats aren’t quad dominant no matter how you do them, huh??? Wow, dude, if you saying someone looks like an idiot and not knowing what they are talking about makes you look like the idiot.

[quote]Iron-Hoosier wrote:
skizac wrote:
seth.ewan wrote:
skizac wrote:
deadlift425 wrote:

Isn’t this the same guy that just ripped somebody about not knowing what they are talking about. Squats aren’t quad dominant no matter how you do them, huh??? Wow, dude, if you saying someone looks like an idiot and not knowing what they are talking about makes you look like the idiot.[/quote]

Not when he’s right.

And the second idiot of the post reveals himself, anyone else?

I defy you to find a source that says that every variation of the squat does not use quads as the primary movers. Go ahead, do it. If you are seriously that dumb, you have no business giving advice.

[quote]Iron-Hoosier wrote:

I defy you to find a source that says that every variation of the squat does not use quads as the primary movers. Go ahead, do it. If you are seriously that dumb, you have no business giving advice.[/quote]

Have you seen any of my videos? I know a couple things about squatting: Raw Squat Workout - 473x18, 617x1 - YouTube

I think there maybe be some misinterpretation and poor phrasing going on in this thread. I’m probably guilty of misinterpretation as well. The point I’m trying to make is that it doesn’t make sense to think of squats as a quadriceps exercise. They’re a full body exercise. Some variations will use the quadriceps more and some will use them less, but none of them negate the use of the hamstrings, glutes, and spinal erectors.

That sounds much better, I understand that you use a lot of muscles in the squat, I had better know as I have a master’s in Exercise Science and a C.S.C.S certification. It is obviously not an isolation exercise, but neither is the bench press. Both exercises still have a primary mover, wouldn’t you agree? What I got from your posts is that no matter the variation of the squat, the primary muscle used is not the quads. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

[quote]skizac wrote:
Iron-Hoosier wrote:

I defy you to find a source that says that every variation of the squat does not use quads as the primary movers. Go ahead, do it. If you are seriously that dumb, you have no business giving advice.

Have you seen any of my videos? I know a couple things about squatting: Raw Squat Workout - 473x18, 617x1 - YouTube

I think there maybe be some misinterpretation and poor phrasing going on in this thread. I’m probably guilty of misinterpretation as well. The point I’m trying to make is that it doesn’t make sense to think of squats as a quadriceps exercise. They’re a full body exercise. Some variations will use the quadriceps more and some will use them less, but none of them negate the use of the hamstrings, glutes, and spinal erectors.[/quote]

now THOSE quads hang 3 inchess of the leg, damn broski!

[quote]jonatan-shg wrote:
Brother Chris wrote:
I also think I am a quad dominate squatter. My legs measure 20 inches around at the biggest point, I squat 185#, and I think my quads need to be brought up. Most likely because I cannot see my hamstrings so I do not worry about it and my knees probably go farther forward than Pinocchio trying to fuck a fat chick. I won’t post a video because everyone should give me advise from a few minor and vague details, which could mean a million different things without visuals, instead of actually trying shit out on my own or going to someone in person to fix what I need fixed.

Parallel is for building houses.

What exactly are you trying to tell us?[/quote]

Some will argue this is a bad thing, but my form is good and I still feel my quads the weak link in my squat.

I want to fix that by bringing my quads up. The question is, what ME lifts are best for that? Front squat, lunges, and what else?

Well, let’s start off from the beginning, the OP posts in a power lifting forum, and immediately says even though people say it is bad to be quad dominate (who said this and how does he know he is quad dominate). Then, he says his form is good, but does not prove it. After that he goes to tell us he feels his quads are the weak link to his squat. So from conductive reasoning, if his weak link is his quads then he needs to bring up his quads, but he just said he is a quad dominate squatter. So that makes zero fucking sense.

I have no problem with questions, but I come from a philosophy that you just try everything you can (called learning) come up with to fix your problem. After that when you can no longer do what you need to do, go to the internet. I am sure if this kid did not read something on the internet he would not be worrying about “fixing” his imbalances as I am sure his entire body is weak and he probably has not hit a wall and needs to fix something besides putting more weight on the bar.

It is not cool to try and make people look stupid, that only runs back around and bites your own ass.

Topicstarter: for quads i like frontsquats and leg ext, your weakness could be something else, though.[/quote]

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
Well, let’s start off from the beginning, the OP posts in a power lifting forum, and immediately says even though people say it is bad to be quad dominate (who said this and how does he know he is quad dominate). Then, he says his form is good, but does not prove it. After that he goes to tell us he feels his quads are the weak link to his squat. So from conductive reasoning, if his weak link is his quads then he needs to bring up his quads, but he just said he is a quad dominate squatter. So that makes zero fucking sense.
[/quote]

Thank you. that is what i was asking. finally someone addressed the underlying issue.