T Nation

I am a Quad-Dominant Squatter

Some will argue this is a bad thing, but my form is good and I still feel my quads the weak link in my squat.

I want to fix that by bringing my quads up. The question is, what ME lifts are best for that? Front squat, lunges, and what else?

What makes you think you’re a quad dominant squatter?

post a video of your current PR and we’ll get things going.

I also think I am a quad dominate squatter. My legs measure 20 inches around at the biggest point, I squat 185#, and I think my quads need to be brought up. Most likely because I cannot see my hamstrings so I do not worry about it and my knees probably go farther forward than Pinocchio trying to fuck a fat chick. I won’t post a video because everyone should give me advise from a few minor and vague details, which could mean a million different things without visuals, instead of actually trying shit out on my own or going to someone in person to fix what I need fixed.

Parallel is for building houses.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
I also think I am a quad dominate squatter. My legs measure 20 inches around at the biggest point, I squat 185#, and I think my quads need to be brought up. Most likely because I cannot see my hamstrings so I do not worry about it and my knees probably go farther forward than Pinocchio trying to fuck a fat chick. I won’t post a video because everyone should give me advise from a few minor and vague details, which could mean a million different things without visuals, instead of actually trying shit out on my own or going to someone in person to fix what I need fixed.

Parallel is for building houses.[/quote]

What exactly are you trying to tell us?

It is not cool to try and make people look stupid, that only runs back around and bites your own ass.

Topicstarter: for quads i like frontsquats and leg ext, your weakness could be something else, though.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
I also think I am a quad dominate squatter. My legs measure 20 inches around at the biggest point, I squat 185#, and I think my quads need to be brought up. Most likely because I cannot see my hamstrings so I do not worry about it and my knees probably go farther forward than Pinocchio trying to fuck a fat chick. I won’t post a video because everyone should give me advise from a few minor and vague details, which could mean a million different things without visuals, instead of actually trying shit out on my own or going to someone in person to fix what I need fixed.

Parallel is for building houses.[/quote]

Greatest troll evah.

Front squats are an excellent exercise. i use them as an auxiliary exercise and feel they have improved my squat. I may get flamed for this, but for quads do leg presses with a shoulder width stance, just make sure you get a full range of motion.

[quote]trav123456 wrote:
What makes you think you’re a quad dominant squatter?[/quote]

The day after ME Squats, I have DOMS only in my quads. I know soreness is an inaccurate indicator, but still.

And I don’t have the ability to post video, but friends with knowledge on the subject say my form is good.

Give some more details about how you squat, how much you squat and other things in your routine? If you want to bring up your quads then do semi narrow front squats, speed skater squats, or reverse lunges.

[quote]BSchroeder wrote:
Some will argue this is a bad thing, but my form is good and I still feel my quads the weak link in my squat.

I want to fix that by bringing my quads up. The question is, what ME lifts are best for that? Front squat, lunges, and what else?[/quote]

I think your point of view is entirely wrong.

I’ve tried to widen my stance for squatting and found bringing it in helped more. Now, while you would say, do more quad work, that’s the wrong way of looking at it. You are only as strong as your weakest link. If your glutes, lower back, hamstrings and other supportive muscles are weak, you’re setting yourself up for injury.

Do MORE hamstring, glute and accessory exercises. You are already working your quads, but it sounds like your goal is to overtrain one muscle group while ignoring the other groups.

Look at captain Kirk. His legs were not all quads, even though he is the quintessential definition of a quad dominant squatter.

Has everyone on this site lost their damn minds? Logic seems to have gone out the window with the majority of the post made these days.

if youre too chickenshit to post a vid
at least tell us what you are squatting to parallel

what makes you think you are qualified to judge your own technique
how much do you friends squat?

scratch that, post a vid.

[quote]BSchroeder wrote:
Some will argue this is a bad thing, but my form is good and I still feel my quads the weak link in my squat.

I want to fix that by bringing my quads up. The question is, what ME lifts are best for that? Front squat, lunges, and what else?[/quote]

Let us know what your are squatting, but you probably cant just say that your quads are the weak link. Maybe your quads are the weak link because you are using horrible form and aren’t able to use your posterior chain.

It also depends if you are powerlifter, or are just trying to get stronger. If your a powerlifter, then you probably want to adjust your technique for the most adventageous position so you can put up the biggest weight. If you aren’t a powerlifter and want to just be strong, then you should probably adjust your technique to a standard form that will work everythign evenly.

Simple answer: Squat, front squat, lunge

Or, just do regular old box squats and back squat, and adjust the height to target where you are weakest.

squat MORE. that’ll bring them up!

more what you say?
more often
more weight
more reps
more sets

any/all of those will bring your quads (and then some) up a tad.

This is my 2 sence take it for what you will, I don’t care…

Are you stalling out of the hole? at lockout? Are you doing a goodmorning when you come up? How wide is your stance? Are you going ATG, or are you not even hitting parallel? Most questions can all be answerd if you post a fucking video!

Im guessin that its more of a technical issure rather than a weak link. Fix your technique and get that to as close as 100% as you can, although it may be imposible for you… Then when you know for sure (I dont belive your technique is good) and when it is as good as you can make it, then add some assistance work, but dont stop the back squatting. I’d suggest split squats, lunges, step ups, and even some sled pulls.

Doesn’t Wendler say, “If your quad isn’t hanging out over your knee, you’re not quad dominant.”

[quote]B rocK wrote:
squat MORE. that’ll bring them up!

more what you say?
more often
more weight
more reps
more sets

any/all of those will bring your quads (and then some) up a tad.[/quote]

All of this! and then sprinkle on some leg presses with your feet narrow

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
Doesn’t Wendler say, “If your quad isn’t hanging out over your knee, you’re not quad dominant.”[/quote]

This.

But its actually “three inches over your knee”.

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
Doesn’t Wendler say, “If your quad isn’t hanging out over your knee, you’re not quad dominant.”[/quote]

yep…something like that

I follow the WestSide Program pretty close, with hamstring work twice a week. GHR’s of varying weights once a week, and then RDL, SLDL, SLGM, or GM/Squat the other. I do light reverse hypers twice a week. Ab work and side bends at least three times a week.

My ME rotation, lately, has been DL, Sumo DL, Squat, Box Squat. Both with and without chains. My best squat is 535 at 275. DL is 555.

I am also quad-dominant squatter, even by Wendler’s definition. I rarely do any extra work for my quads beyond squatting. However, I do tons of posterior chain work. I don’t think I’ve ever missed a squat because my quads were took weak.

Also, I think the fact that my quads take up a relatively large proportion of the load has more to do with the form I use (high bar, raised heel), than with my physiology. It could be the same for the OP.