T Nation

Hysterical: Boxing vs. Karate

Nothing against TMA’s- I think I’ve made clear I like them. But this video is just too funny.

Boxers vs. Karateka

Whoops. Move this to combat sports please mods?

Well to be fair, the Karateka was not allowed to use eye gouges, throat strikes, and the deadly palm attack. On the street, that boxer wouldn’t stand a chance. I think you are wasting your time w/ boxing. There are some great taekwondo and kung fu gyms in New Jersey. pm me and ill put you on the road to becoming a deadly weapon

Be interesting to know the background of the karateka, is that something you can tell from the vid? I mean, you’d expect a kyokushin guy to put up more of a fight wouldn’t you? Anyway why didn’t the karate guys get gloves? Wouldn’t that help with defence?

Seriously though, I don’t know why YouTube allow comments on their vids. Reading YouTube comments makes me despair of humanity.

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
Well to be fair, the Karateka was not allowed to use eye gouges, throat strikes, and the deadly palm attack. On the street, that boxer wouldn’t stand a chance. I think you are wasting your time w/ boxing. There are some great taekwondo and kung fu gyms in New Jersey. pm me and ill put you on the road to becoming a deadly weapon[/quote]

To use eye gouges, throat strikes or whatever other silly shit you’re talking about they’d have to be able to get close enough to pull it off. Seems to me every time they tried they wound up on the ground holding their respective faces.

I would love to see a top 20 boxer learn some takedown defense,move to mma and dominate. There’s just such a huge difference in punching power. And before all the internet mma nut huggers start bitching, Yea I respect mma, and yea I’ve seen vids of guys like an almost 50 Ray Mercer getting beat, but that doesn’t mean shit. Too much foot speed, too much power in their hands. A good boxer would clean up.

I was suprised he didnt kick the boxers legs.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
chitown34 wrote:
Well to be fair, the Karateka was not allowed to use eye gouges, throat strikes, and the deadly palm attack. On the street, that boxer wouldn’t stand a chance. I think you are wasting your time w/ boxing. There are some great taekwondo and kung fu gyms in New Jersey. pm me and ill put you on the road to becoming a deadly weapon

To use eye gouges, throat strikes or whatever other silly shit you’re talking about they’d have to be able to get close enough to pull it off. Seems to me every time they tried they wound up on the ground holding their respective faces.

I would love to see a top 20 boxer learn some takedown defense,move to mma and dominate. There’s just such a huge difference in punching power. And before all the internet mma nut huggers start bitching, Yea I respect mma, and yea I’ve seen vids of guys like an almost 50 Ray Mercer getting beat, but that doesn’t mean shit. Too much foot speed, too much power in their hands. A good boxer would clean up.[/quote]

I guess sarcasm doesn’t come through over the internet.

Notice that the Karateka rarely (I think I only saw one in the video) punch at the face. Also, everytime one takes a good punch to the face they are unable to take it. I’m pretty sure its because most styles of Karate - even full contact styles - don’t train to punch to the face.

BTW Whiteflash, there is much more to learn than “some TD defense”. In striking alone, boxers have to modify their stance, learn to kick and check leg kicks, learn to strike from the clinch, learn to use knees and elbows, and adapt to the smaller gloves, all the while being afraid that if they over-commit to a single strike they will be taken down immediately by a competent wrestler. As to the grappling, you can’t become proficient overnight… It is just as complex a skill set as striking.

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
BTW Whiteflash, there is much more to learn than “some TD defense”. In striking alone, boxers have to modify their stance, learn to kick and check leg kicks, learn to strike from the clinch, learn to use knees and elbows, and adapt to the smaller gloves, all the while being afraid that if they over-commit to a single strike they will be taken down immediately by a competent wrestler. As to the grappling, you can’t become proficient overnight… It is just as complex a skill set as striking.[/quote]

Of course. I was obviously over simplifying things, but still stand by my statement. My bad on the sarcasm thing. The way some people post here it’s hard to figure out.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
chitown34 wrote:
BTW Whiteflash, there is much more to learn than “some TD defense”. In striking alone, boxers have to modify their stance, learn to kick and check leg kicks, learn to strike from the clinch, learn to use knees and elbows, and adapt to the smaller gloves, all the while being afraid that if they over-commit to a single strike they will be taken down immediately by a competent wrestler. As to the grappling, you can’t become proficient overnight… It is just as complex a skill set as striking.

Of course. I was obviously over simplifying things, but still stand by my statement. My bad on the sarcasm thing. The way some people post here it’s hard to figure out.[/quote]

Man, you can’t be serious?!

Do you really think that it’s that easy for a boxer to do the crossover, and dominate? I love boxing, but it’s not “teh ultimate” when talking about MMA.

It will be difficult to disprove you with examples, because nobody in their right mind will pass 6-7 (or even 8) figure paycheck for 5-6 figure one. But the tendencies are that pure wrestlers or pure grapplers have more success than pure boxers. Of course, Olympic medalists in Wrestling and Judo and winners of ADCC have competed in MMA much more than medalists in Boxing. That still doesn’t change the fact that “The sweet science” leaves at least that many (in my opinion even more) areas of NHB not covered and at least that many bad habits as Wrestling, BJJ or Muay Thai.

Not a great example, but Botha got armbarred in the first round by Akiyama.

P.S. “…the deadly palm attack…” - how could you miss that :smiley:

christ that video was painful, but I would’ve liked to have seen better representatives of the karate side…there are quality karate fighters out there, but that video did not have any of them.

The only thing a pro boxer would add is a further elevation of the sport. And keep it in mind MMA as entertaining as it is, is still a new sport.

The argument that any one style can coem in and dominate is a lost cause now. Because anything you add your next competitor watches, learns and prepares for.

If all you have is hands get ready for some Muay Thai kicks and pulling guard as soon as your in arms length.

Why do you think Diego Sanchez trained along side De La Hoya, or Arlovski with Freddie Roach. Evolution.

An MMA trainer I know has it broken down like this.

Hand strikes - boxing
Leg strikes - Muay Thai (also knees/elbows)
Upper body subs - BJJ
Lower body subs - Sambo
Body conditioning/ TD defense - wrestling

From a theoretical sense though in a street fight anything goes, and typically the most vicious and efficient in their bloodthirst will win. Not pretty, but it’s true.

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
BTW Whiteflash, there is much more to learn than “some TD defense”. In striking alone, boxers have to modify their stance, learn to kick and check leg kicks, learn to strike from the clinch, learn to use knees and elbows, and adapt to the smaller gloves, all the while being afraid that if they over-commit to a single strike they will be taken down immediately by a competent wrestler. As to the grappling, you can’t become proficient overnight… It is just as complex a skill set as striking.[/quote]

Can we make this a sticky?
and it goes the other way for grapplers/wrestlers to learn the
other elements too.

kmc

Looks like they’re fighting each other with different rules. Karate guy is following typical Karate tournament rules which don’t allow punch to the face. The boxer, well, have gloves on. I guess it’s only fair, otherwise the Karate guys will have too much advantage.

How can people be taking this video seriously?
Irish it is funny as hell that all its about.

why do people get so sensitive about other disciplines

Maybe chitown is right and we do need to organize an unsanctioned no rules thing.

War karate

kmc

[quote]oriensus wrote:
Looks like they’re fighting each other with different rules. Karate guy is following typical Karate tournament rules which don’t allow punch to the face. The boxer, well, have gloves on. I guess it’s only fair, otherwise the Karate guys will have too much advantage. [/quote]

Ever think that they’re fighting that way because that’s how they’ve trained? Karate guys trained to fight in point tournaments… and that means they have no conception what it’s like to really KO someone.

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
How can people be taking this video seriously?
Irish it is funny as hell that all its about.

why do people get so sensitive about other disciplines

Maybe chitown is right and we do need to organize an unsanctioned no rules thing.

War karate

kmc[/quote]

haha. I just kind of liked how the karate kids were bopping around and doing flying kicks and shit, and the boxers whack them once and they’re on the ground holding their heads.

Maybe I’m just sadistic like that.

And again, I know they’re apparently white belts, but damn, look at that… punch-like thing karate dude throws at :21. Like a flying super uppercut.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Nothing against TMA’s- I think I’ve made clear I like them. But this video is just too funny.

Boxers vs. Karateka

Damn, lol.
Those guys must be absolute beginners.