Hypothyroidism Question Cy Willson

Hello how are you today. I had a quick question I was hoping you could help me with. My cousin was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism, she is a 22 year old female in fairly good shape.

My question is would HOT-ROX be able to help upregulate it enough so she doesn’t have to go on those nasty thyroid meds? Also if you believe it would help, which formula would you reccomend Maximum Strength HOT-ROX, regular HOT-ROX, or Fahrenheit. Thanks

[quote]bigpun wrote:
Hello how are you today. I had a quick question I was hoping you could help me with. My cousin was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism, she is a 22 year old female in fairly good shape.

My question is would HOT-ROX be able to help upregulate it enough so she doesn’t have to go on those nasty thyroid meds? Also if you believe it would help, which formula would you reccomend Maximum Strength HOT-ROX, regular HOT-ROX, or Fahrenheit. Thanks[/quote]

I’m not Cy, but adverse reactions to therapeutic synthroid dosages are rare. Why do you consider medication “nasty”?

No real concrete reason, I have just heard from some friends that when supplementing the thyroid with substances such as synthyroid people tend to over a period of time lose muscle mass and waste away. I may be off here in these assumptions but I was just curious.

I’d be interested in hearing Cy’s response. I was diagnosed hypothyroid over 8 years ago. I have been on Levoxyl, Synthroid and now on Armour Thyroid,which has been the best for me, despite what a lot of Drs say (as the pharma marketers give better kickbacks for the synthetic drugs).

Keep in mind that the thyroid plays a role (directly or indirectly) in almost every bodily function and HOT-ROX alone may not do the trick. But I don’t find the medication to be “nasty”. Inconvenient at times, but not nasty. What is nasty is going 1-2 days without the medication.

DB

[quote]bigpun wrote:
No real concrete reason, I have just heard from some friends that when supplementing the thyroid with substances such as synthyroid people tend to over a period of time lose muscle mass and waste away. I may be off here in these assumptions but I was just curious.[/quote]

It probably has more to do with their lifestyles than the drug. There have been links to bone density loss due to long-term usage, but I’m not sure if this is spurious correlation or causation as there are other factors that could influence bone loss. It could also be that your friends have not been adequately monitored as you need to have regular bloodwork (every 1-3 months until they get it right and every 6 months thereafter) to make sure the right dosage is being taken.

It took a good 2 years for the Dr to get the dosage right for me. Hypothyroidism runs in my family and none of us are wasting away or show any ill effects of long-term usage. In fact, I would say that all those drugs advertised on tv are much worse than thryoid meds. Just listen to all of the potential side effects of those drugs!

DB

It depends on whether your cousin is suffering from primary or secondary hypothyroidism. If it’s the latter, HOT-ROX it may help to some degree. If it’s the former, it’s not going to help.

Something else to keep in mind is that if she’s hypothyroid, and taking what’s pretty close to a replacement dosage, she’s not going to experience “wasting” and so forth that you’ve heard about. It’s when one takes larger amounts of thyroid medications and elevates thyroxine and thyronine levels to the supraphysioloigical range, that what you’re describing becomes an issue.