Hypothyroidism And Supplements?

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism about a year ago. I was wondering if anyone out here had that as well? And if so, were there any supplements that you are taking? I’m currently on medication for it and have to be extremely careful on what medications I take so I’m nervouse about supplements. Any advice is welcome. Thank yo u.

If your medicated best bet run ANYTHING and ALLL supps past your doctor.

That said I have a low not extremely low but low thyroid and HOT-ROX Extreme raised it to near normal on recent blood work

Phill

Believe me, I’ve tried to talk to my doctor several times and I always get the same anser,: “Supplements are not healthy all you need is diet and exercise.” Its kind of annoying because all I want is a strait answer, can I take a supplement or not? i just wish he would give me a strait answer. I suppose I’ll have to talk to him and demand a strait answer.

[quote]Rose24 wrote:
Believe me, I’ve tried to talk to my doctor several times and I always get the same anser,: “Supplements are not healthy all you need is diet and exercise.” Its kind of annoying because all I want is a strait answer, can I take a supplement or not? i just wish he would give me a strait answer. I suppose I’ll have to talk to him and demand a strait answer.[/quote]

Bring info on a specific supp to him and talk about it instead of the general topic

Phill

He has given you a straight answer, it just happens to be one that you don’t want to hear.

If my doc ever acted like that towards me I would be shopping for a new one. Your doc should have your concerns as his number one priority.

www.ithyroid.com

The best website on nutritional management of thyroid disorders on the net.

I must say that I disagree with the quoted statement.

The site ithyroid.com contains a number of false or misinterpreted information.

Anything that recommends colloidal silver should be viewed with very critical eyes.

On to the OP’s comment, one should realise that while a vast number of medications have been studied in terms of interactions, most supplements (outside of purely nutritional supplements…protein, bcaa, creatine and the likes) have not been studied in terms of their relations to medications.

Moreover, a good number of supplements have little to no research behind them so no comments can be made about their safety with other meds.

Therefore, the answer provided by your Doc is probably the only answer supported by current research, mainly we don’t have the information.

Since thyroid hormone interacts with a good amount of medications, your physician is being cautious.

AlexH

[quote]Bri Hildebrandt wrote:
www.ithyroid.com

The best website on nutritional management of thyroid disorders on the net.[/quote]