Hypothyroid, Low T. Feel Sick on Iodized Table Salt

Your fT3 is right at mid-range which should support good oral body temperatures.

Your body temperatures are low.

With mid-range fT3 your TSH should be near 1.0 and is significantly higher.

The conclusion is that we expect that rT3 is elevated and interfering with fT3 at T3 receptors. There is no receptor for T4.

That make you hypo in terms of symptoms and TSH. rT3 is interfering with viability of fT3 to the hypothalamus and that increases TSH, so does lower body temperatures.

You have increased iodine intake and T4 is expected higher and then T4–>rT3 increases and one can feel worse and not better.

What causes this? Adrenal fatigue that causes more T4–>rT3. Factors are stress, see the thyroid basics sticky for references to rT3, cortisol, stress, starvation diets, over-training, injury, surgery, inflammation etc. And you probably need to read Wilson’s book on adrenal fatigue.

You have not stated that you are getting more selenium and a lack of selenium can be dangerous, setting the stage for thyroid auto-immune disease.

Most of what I have talked about is foreign to almost all doctors. You need to read and understand and be active in managing these aspects of your health care. Finding a doctor who will go along for the ride may be challenging.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab number and ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.

There is no quick fix for adrenal fatigue. If you increase T4 or take T4 medication, rT3 gets worse. T3 only meds are needed to drive down TSH and that reduces T4 production. Time release T3 suggested and that is a compounding pharmacy only product in USA.