T Nation

Hypothetical: Magic Pill

Bob Goldman raised this question in the book Death in the Locker Room II: Drugs and Sports. But it made me wonder,

Say there is a pill that you can take, it will make you a world-champion at whatever you want, but after 5 years you will die, would you take the pill?

I'd take the pill in a heartbeat. If I had kids I wouldn't though.

5 yrs? hell no.

for anyone that watches Supernatural, Crossroads Demon at least gives you 10 yrs :wink:

umm, why? You'd know you don't deserve it, AND you would piss away most of your life.

Why is it so important to you to be a world champion?

If you are willing to die after 5 years; you are deciding that being the best athlete in your sport is the most important thing in your life and is the greatest source of happiness.

Seems kind of silly.

Dude.

If you're willing to sacrifice so much why not just figuratively quit your life and dedicate every moment you have to becoming a champion?

Absolutely not.

Oh hell yeah!!! I'd take that pill, put it in the bank and wait till I was about 85 years old.

Pop that bitch and be the SuperBowl MVP quarterback for the SF 49ers at the age of 85!!! Siiiiiiiiick! I'd be a legend.

I guess I thought more about the fame/glory you'd get than love of any particular sport.

Also you could dedicate your life to a sport but still never become a world champion or even make a living doing said sport if you lack natural talent. In the hypothetical it was guaranteed, at least how I read it.

100M dash or UFC champion would be pretty bad ass. Could you imagine knocking all these 20 year olds out when you're 85 years old? They'd be like "WTF?!? Homeboy is old as balls, uses a walker to get to the ring but is one punch KO'ing me! WTF?!?"

No. I'd take five years on NZT, though.

hahahaha

i lol'd

Seems like buying the hat and T-shirt would be a more viable option.

Cheap, and much less permanent

I think a willingness to trade your life to be a world champion in any sport is pretty sad, and vacant. No reasonable person would answer yes. And most that did answer yes would be begging for their life back when the "check" came due.

This reminds of something I heard a billion years ago when I was getting certified as a trainer. The instructor mentioned a survey of a bunch of Olympic hopefuls who were asked if they'd want a guaranteed Olympic gold medal, but in exchange, they'd drop dead 20 years later. I think something like 30 or 40% said they'd take that deal.

I guess there's a bit of a difference, a pro or already-top level athlete being offered something like that, compared to recreational athletes and average Joes. Priorities and all that.

Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of the money and lifestyle rather than the winning so much.

Now, I'm 30, if I could take a pill that would set me up for life and not have to stress about money and buy whatever I want, for a 20-25 yr deal, that would be something I would consider.

It's called LIFE for a reason.

It has nothing to do with top athletes v. average joes and everything to do with human psychology and underestimating the "cost" of something so far in the future. This economic error is repeated in other behaviors as well, most relevant to this site - lifestyle habits affecting health. Many people eat the shit they do not b/c they are ignorant of the effects, but b/c those effects are usually far off in the future so they are "undervalued".

Another way to think about it is this.

If I have to work 8-10 hr days, 4-5 x week for the next 30-35 yrs or take a pill where I would only have to work say the next 5 yrs, but live 10-15 yrs less, which would you take?

And enjoy those remaining years more with all the happiness money could buy. And as a comedian once said "of course money buys happiness, ever see someone sad on a jet ski"

and a whole lot less stress about money

Another way to think about it is this.

If I have to work 8-10 hr days, 4-5 x week for the next 30-35 yrs or take a pill where I would only have to work say the next 5 yrs, but live 10-15 yrs less, which would you take?

And enjoy those remaining years more with all the happiness money could buy. And as a comedian once said "of course money buys happiness, ever see someone sad on a jet ski"

and a whole lot less stress about money