T Nation

Hypopituitary?

After going over my labwork, I think something is wrong with my pituitary..

Age 27, 5'11", 17-18% body fat (skinny fat).

Experiencing severe fatigue, difficulty concentrating, sexual problems, insomnia, depression, some others.

IGF-1 99 (117-339) LOW
FSH 1.3 (1.5-12.4) LOW
LH 6.0 (1.7-8.6)
Test Total 416 (279-849)
Test, Free 10.48 (5.0-21.0)
TSH 1.9 (0.45-4.500)

Get t4 free and t3 free and another tsh test. As well as prolactin and estradiol and cortisol as well as another T test (you need at least two).

Will help to diagnose what you need

I'll be a little more clear...nobody can really say you are hypopituitary with those labs. It is possible but there are many explanations. Your TSH is normal, yet you have symptoms of hypothyroidism. So maybe your thyroid hormones are low yet your pituitary is sending out enough signals to your thyroid to make more hormones. This could be a back up to there being something wrong with your pituitary. Prolactin may be high which could be suppressing certain pituitary secretions...so there may be other things wrong here.

Thanks, I have a total T4, T3 and a "free thyroxine index". According to WebMD, free t4 can be computed from the index.. Here are some more readings:

T4 5.8 (4.5-12.0)
T3 uptake 39 (24-39)
Free Thyroxine Index 2.3 (1.2-4.9)
Estradiol 17 (3-70)
Cortisol (salivary 8AM) 16.83 (5.1-40)

This from Wikipedia:
"The Free Thyroxine Index (FTI or T7) is obtained by multiplying the total T4 with Tuptake.[2] FTI is considered to be a more reliable indicator of thyroid status in the presence of abnormalities in plasma protein binding."

I'm especially concerned by the low IGF-1 and fsh. From what I understand "hypopituitary" is a underproduction of one or more pituitary hormones. Assuming that low IGF-1 implies low GH (a pituitary hormone) and low FSH (another pituitary hormone), would this not be a concern?

Please keep all your info in your original case thread so we can follow it more clearly. You may well have something up with your pituitary but it helps us track your case if you stick to one thread.

I made some other suggestions in your other thread as well.

Pay no attention to Free Thyroxine Index or T3 uptake. Free T3 and Free T4 are what you need. That is what your body uses.

Sorry about the reposting. I couldn't find the other thread, thought it disappeared, but now I see it. Thanks again for your help, I'll mention this to my doc.

Federer your t4 is pretty low. My only other suggestion is prolactin as that can suppress signals. If that is low/normal then maybe something like clomid would be best for you.