T Nation

Hypogonadal Symptoms, Normal Labs


#1

Hi,

TT: 580 ng/dL (1.5 years ago)/440 ng/dL( 1 year ago)/740 ng/dL (3 months ago)/690 ng/dL(1 month ago) Range is around (300-850 ng/dL)

FT: 108.3 pg/mL range being (46-224 pg/mL)
LH: 5.5 (consistent over the year)
FSH: 2.5 (consistent over the year)

TSH/T3/T4/Antibodies - All very normal. I followed the iodized salt protocol and that might have been what brought down my TSH to around 1.0. Body temperatures are fine as of now; energy during the day is fine.

Prolactin- 9 (range being 1-18)
Estradiol**-This was always temporarily elevated. It used to be 47 pg/mL (when I had the test reading of 430). Now, it's 38 pg/mL. I'm dieting down so that number should be going down.

~

Anyways, when I moved to university, over the first two weeks, I had a crazy rush of hypogonadal symptoms. Watery semen, diminished ejaculate, VERY numb penis, no spontaneous/morning/nocturnal erections, musky smelling sweat, a complete void of emotion, extreme fatigue, cant put on any muscle despite a solid routine/diet. And I was only 18! Most of these symptoms have gone away except for the sexual ones and the muscle-building one.

At any rate, my symptoms are HIGHLY similar to the people on propeciahelp - but the odd part is ... I've never taken propecia or any 5 alpha reductase inhibitor. It's just so odd that the symptoms are so similar. I have some labs for AdiolG (a metabolite of the 5 alpha reductase II enzyme) that should be out in a week or so.

I had DHT tested (range being 16-79), and my result was 39. Which isn't incredibly high but it should be functional.

There has to be some androgen resistance as my labs are really normal and I don't know what else can explain the symptoms i'm having.


#2

KSMan will advise you to read the stickies before posting.

Given that moving to university is a big change, have you considered whether you’re depressed or something similar to that? Without objective evidence, the muscle building thing may just be your own perception.


#3

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:
KSMan will advise you to read the stickies before posting.

Given that moving to university is a big change, have you considered whether you’re depressed or something similar to that? Without objective evidence, the muscle building thing may just be your own perception.[/quote]

I already have and made another posting 6 months ago. Yeah, I was depressed but that’s long since been resolved. The physical changes like low ejaculate, very watery ejaculate, etc have not however. And the side effects i’m having are remarkably similar with those that people who took 5 alpha reductase inhibitors like Propecia.


#4

Does anybody here know about MAIS (Mild Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome)?

I feel like despite it being exceptionally rare it might be something I could potentially have.

I had a normal sex drive throughout my adolesecence and puberty, but, right when I “became” an adult, I had low libido and other hypogonadal symptoms. I did, however, take a SpermChecker test a few months ago and I passed it (meaning I should theoretically have over 20M sperm / mL of solution).

That said, my LH isn’t too high and my testosterone isn’t incredibly high. It just confuses me how the lab 6 months ago was like 430 and now it’s ~700 with similar LH levels.


#5

I think it has to do with stress and changes in lifestyle that may have come about in subtle ways as coping strategies. It’s absolutely horrid for your health to be a student. I should know I’m a student and at age 40 I can tell the difference only a week into a new semester. Hours of sitting around using the mind in excess, drinking 2-3 times as much coffee as normal, and having bouts of low and high appetite periods. It can mess up sleep and cause a mild anxiety that is constant. Before, during, and waiting for exams that mild anxiety switches to moderate-severe. Cortisol floods the system and blocks the androgen activity. Messes with a lot of stuff actually and it takes time to recover.

If any of this sounds familiar, do yourself a favor and focus on making life more peaceful and find some balance.


#6

How much vit-D3 have you been taking?

Waking and afternoon temps are?

What exactly did you do to get more iodine on board and are you always using iodized salt now?

Still think that you need anastrozole to lower E2. Someone objected to that before stating that one should not be messing with a young body. But your body is not working right as it is now.

E2=38 is really bad. Get near E2=22pg/ml and your T levels will increase. Your T:E ratio will improve with a compound effect and that should allow for fat loss, especially if your thyroid is right.


#7

[quote]KSman wrote:
How much vit-D3 have you been taking?

Waking and afternoon temps are?

What exactly did you do to get more iodine on board and are you always using iodized salt now?

Still think that you need anastrozole to lower E2. Someone objected to that before stating that one should not be messing with a young body. But your body is not working right as it is now.

E2=38 is really bad. Get near E2=22pg/ml and your T levels will increase. Your T:E ratio will improve with a compound effect and that should allow for fat loss, especially if your thyroid is right.[/quote]

4000 IU/day

Temps are fine, near 98.6

Iodoral for a week, thyroid labs came back normal (TSH ~1.03, thyroxine was fine)

I might need to lower my E2; I might not. None of my doctors are willing to prescribe me anastrozole for a mildly increased E2. Do other people on this board really have sexual problems with just an E2 near 38 (with test levels around 600-700)?


#8

I was on TRT for a few months and my E2=37 was:

  • making me short tempered
  • noise intolerant
  • probably bitchy
  • libido was lowered
  • sexual performance was reduced

With anastrozole, I felt better, almost reborn, in 5 days and it kept getting better for around 3 weeks. It is really rare that anything gets under my skin now. Libido greatly improved. And while TRT lead to a rapid weight loss, waist 34–>32", lowered E2 lead to a loose 31" jeans. So some stubborn fat patterns can respond.

Yes, there is a normal range. But that does not mean that high normal or low normal is associated with proper physical and mental functioning.


#9

[quote]KSman wrote:
I was on TRT for a few months and my E2=37 was:

  • making me short tempered
  • noise intolerant
  • probably bitchy
  • libido was lowered
  • sexual performance was reduced

With anastrozole, I felt better, almost reborn, in 5 days and it kept getting better for around 3 weeks. It is really rare that anything gets under my skin now. Libido greatly improved. And while TRT lead to a rapid weight loss, waist 34–>32", lowered E2 lead to a loose 31" jeans. So some stubborn fat patterns can respond.

Yes, there is a normal range. But that does not mean that high normal or low normal is associated with proper physical and mental functioning.[/quote]

Even with normal E2 levels (~27), I was still symptomatic.

I’ll consider anastrozole though. Might have to be on testosterone to reach supra-physiological levels because my AR seems to be desensitized by something, perhaps congenital. I’m going to make an appointment with an endo at UCLA and see what he thinks.


#10

[quote]ABars wrote:

[quote]KSman wrote:
I was on TRT for a few months and my E2=37 was:

  • making me short tempered
  • noise intolerant
  • probably bitchy
  • libido was lowered
  • sexual performance was reduced

With anastrozole, I felt better, almost reborn, in 5 days and it kept getting better for around 3 weeks. It is really rare that anything gets under my skin now. Libido greatly improved. And while TRT lead to a rapid weight loss, waist 34–>32", lowered E2 lead to a loose 31" jeans. So some stubborn fat patterns can respond.

Yes, there is a normal range. But that does not mean that high normal or low normal is associated with proper physical and mental functioning.[/quote]

Even with normal E2 levels (~27), I was still symptomatic.

I’ll consider anastrozole though. Might have to be on testosterone to reach supra-physiological levels because my AR seems to be desensitized by something, perhaps congenital. I’m going to make an appointment with an endo at UCLA and see what he thinks.
[/quote]

Just seems like you’re grasping for straws to go on TRT…


#11

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:

[quote]ABars wrote:

[quote]KSman wrote:
I was on TRT for a few months and my E2=37 was:

  • making me short tempered
  • noise intolerant
  • probably bitchy
  • libido was lowered
  • sexual performance was reduced

With anastrozole, I felt better, almost reborn, in 5 days and it kept getting better for around 3 weeks. It is really rare that anything gets under my skin now. Libido greatly improved. And while TRT lead to a rapid weight loss, waist 34–>32", lowered E2 lead to a loose 31" jeans. So some stubborn fat patterns can respond.

Yes, there is a normal range. But that does not mean that high normal or low normal is associated with proper physical and mental functioning.[/quote]

Even with normal E2 levels (~27), I was still symptomatic.

I’ll consider anastrozole though. Might have to be on testosterone to reach supra-physiological levels because my AR seems to be desensitized by something, perhaps congenital. I’m going to make an appointment with an endo at UCLA and see what he thinks.
[/quote]

Just seems like you’re grasping for straws to go on TRT…[/quote]

I think considering TRT is a very rational choice considering my circumstances.