Hypoglycemia

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give. Sorry for the length.
So a few months ago I was experiencing dizzy spells and lightheadedness. During a trip to culvers, I had an episode where I got really faint, dizzy and nauseous while waiting for the food. My skin was clammy and my body was completely pale. I drank some sweet tea and milk to raise my blood sugar and went home.

Literally since that day I have not felt the same. I also had vertigo later that day. Went to the doctor and he said my eustachean tubes in my inner ear were blocked and prescribed meclizine and an earwax remover. he did not do any blood tests. Since then, my vertigo has stopped, but occasionally I will suddenly become very dizzy and lightheaded without warning. These episodes usually subside after a few minutes. But I still experience hypoglycemic symptoms almost every day.

I have been unable to lift as this results in me almost fainting 30 minutes after (I drink Surge PWO). Basically if I make sure I’m eating about every hour or two I feel fine. The worst times are in the morning, when I wake up with headaches and am very faint. My question is two fold

1. is it a coincidence that I had inner ear problems and blood sugar problems at the same time or are they related. While the two result in some similar symptoms, I can usually tell which one is causing it.

2. what diet would result in the best outcome for my blood sugar? I am planning on basically having no sugar and eating all low GI carbs with flax seed (oatmeal, rice, sweet potatoes, etc)
    I am getting a blood glucose monitor later this week so I will be able to definitively state whether or not my blood sugar is low when I am feeling these symptoms. My dad is a diabetic and my mom is hypoglycemic. I am also thinking about going to the doctor again if this doesn’t clear up.

[quote]Jathan.young wrote:
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give. Sorry for the length.
So a few months ago I was experiencing dizzy spells and lightheadedness. During a trip to culvers, I had an episode where I got really faint, dizzy and nauseous while waiting for the food. My skin was clammy and my body was completely pale. I drank some sweet tea and milk to raise my blood sugar and went home.

Literally since that day I have not felt the same. I also had vertigo later that day. Went to the doctor and he said my eustachean tubes in my inner ear were blocked and prescribed meclizine and an earwax remover. he did not do any blood tests. Since then, my vertigo has stopped, but occasionally I will suddenly become very dizzy and lightheaded without warning. These episodes usually subside after a few minutes. But I still experience hypoglycemic symptoms almost every day.

I have been unable to lift as this results in me almost fainting 30 minutes after (I drink Surge PWO). Basically if I make sure I’m eating about every hour or two I feel fine. The worst times are in the morning, when I wake up with headaches and am very faint. My question is two fold

1. is it a coincidence that I had inner ear problems and blood sugar problems at the same time or are they related. While the two result in some similar symptoms, I can usually tell which one is causing it.

2. what diet would result in the best outcome for my blood sugar? I am planning on basically having no sugar and eating all low GI carbs with flax seed (oatmeal, rice, sweet potatoes, etc)
    I am getting a blood glucose monitor later this week so I will be able to definitively state whether or not my blood sugar is low when I am feeling these symptoms. My dad is a diabetic and my mom is hypoglycemic. I am also thinking about going to the doctor again if this doesn’t clear up. [/quote]

I think going to the doctor and finding out the root of your hypoglycemia is the more important thing to do. Otherwise you are just pissing into the wind, so to speak.

Do you know why your mother is hypoglycemic? Is your dad type 1 or type 2 diabetic?

There are a slough of reasons you could be hypoglycemic: over production of insulin, under production of glucagon, other endocrine disorders, medication, etc. Adopting a certain eating pattern may just be covering the symptoms rather than finding the root of the problem.

By any chance,did you go low carb for a while?

this is definitely a situation where a doctor will be a lot more use than an internet forum

Went to the doctor yesterday and he had some blood tests done. The CBC and CMP came back normal, we are waiting to see if the thyroid is an issue. And no carbs have been fine
My father is type two

Just got the results and the thyroid is fine. Doctor wants me to diligently monitor blood sugar levels for the next few weeks