Hypnotherapy

Seriously folks, I’m considering hypnotherapy as a tool to help me lose weight.
I have been trying to change my habits for quite some time now and I really think that I might be addicted to eating. Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not one of those kooks that want to sue the fast food industry, but I got some real issues with food. I saw a special on tv that had people try most of the major diets out there today and one of them went through hypnotherapy, started a workout regimen, and cleaned up his diet. He came in second only to the guy who did atkins and started working out.
This is what I’m considering, A low carb diet combined with hypnotherapy. There’s on old saying that says the stronger the mind, the stronger the body. Maybe if I can fix what’s going on in my head I’ll be able to stay on track with diet and exercise.

I really appreciate in advance everyones feedback on this. I know that theres some damn smart folks on this site

THANX!

I have no idea what hypnotherapy is but I can tell you since I made a big change in my eating and exercising habits I am actually eating a hell of alot more than I used too, and a big plus is I losing body fat.

If it works for you, it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. However, at the same time, I’d suggest finding a way to develop the strength and discipline to deal with any issues you might have, if you can.

If you have food issues, you need to find out what this is about. What are you using food for other than a means to achieve your nutrional goals. What is it that you are “hiding from” when you turn to food? Your description makes it sound more complex than simply being hungry.

You’ve really got to have the desire and resolve to stick to your decisions. It has to be something that is more important to you than the things it will get in the way of. Replace your negative behavior, eating the wrong food or for the wrong reasons, with a positive behavior. If hypnotherapy is a shortcut for that, then you’ll be lucky.

Diets don’t work. Going on a diet assumes you are going to lose weight and go back to your old “bad” habits. intead of going on a diet, change your lifestyle. Hypnotism won’t work any better than anything else sold on late-night TV. None of that works. If you really want to lose weight make a committment to change and instead of buying some gadget off TV, spend some time going through the archives here. Some good names to search on are: Lonnie Lowrey, Chris Shugart,Christian Thibaudeau, John M. Berardi and a whole lot of other great people in the archives (sorry, too many to list). Here is a handful of articles to get you started:

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-006-diet

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=309eat2

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=292tc2

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=291seven2

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=279big2

Good Luck!

1. First and Foremost : Hypnotherapy will NEVER allow you to do ANYTHING you don’t really want to do in the first place. If you have a reason for not losing weight (called a secondary gain), then no matter what, you won’t until you resolve this.

I am female and was raped, so I learned that my secondary gain was to stay unattractive and therefore not get the attention that may lead to something like that happening to me again. To resolve this, I started taking self defense classes that would help me feel safer, etc. (I wish I would have known this before doing two BFL challenges and combining CKD and HIITs driving myself nuts not losing or gaining.)

2.) Hypnotherapy is practiced by many people who shouldn’t. Ask for references, see what kind of education they have and check with your state licensing boards to see if they have ever had a case against them. Some therapist are very, very shady.

I get my CDs and DVDs online from Wendi Friesen and have SEVERAL that I will lent out (is that a word?) to friends and family. My absolute FAVORITE is a 5-pack that includes Workout Compulsion – this CD creates a healthy compulsion for you and since listening to it, without fail, I have been able to HIIT 3 miles a day, M-F around my three young daughters. The link for Wendi’s bodybuilding program is http://www.wendi.com/html/body_building.html?1023 – What I like most is that she offers a 1 year money-back guarantee.

Hope that helps a bit - long, sorry!

Excellent post Summer. Inspiring.

Summer: how would I go about finding out what my secondary gain is? Could I possibly find this out with hypnosis?

Road Warrior: I was thinking of using hypnosis as a tool to assist me in my weight loss goals, not as a quick fix or a an easy fix.

THANX EVERYBODY!!!

I don’t like doctors. I avoid them at all costs. The way I see it is, for most things, I can become edcated enough to fix my health issues myself, so why bring some one else into the mix who might screw it up.

This being said, you’ll want to make sure that you’ve tried everything. I mean really tried EVERYTHING. When you first posted, you didn’t give any specifics as to what you have tried so far, or for how long you have been trying. Give us some specifics. Maybe there are some of us out here who have been trying just as long, or longer to change ourselves, and maybe we have some ideas that we’ve never heard of.

It seems that hypnotherapy is a last resort in your mind. If it doesn’t work, where does that leave you? You’ll have nothing left to turn to. This is why I think it’s important to make sure you’ve done everything in your power before relying on your “last resort”.

Also, why are you leaning toward a low carb diet? I’ve heard tons of stories how people lost great amounts of weight on low carb diets, only to gain even more back once they “go off” them. Like Road Warrior said, you can’t go back to your bad habits after you’ve reached your goals. Does this mean you really want to eat low carb the rest of your life?

Have you set rigid goals for yourself? Have you written these goals down and read them out loud a few times every day?

These are just a few things that come to mind. There’s plenty more ideas where these came from, so don’t be afraid to ask more questions.

Check out the articles Road Warrior posted, if you haven’t already, especially John Berardi’s 7 habits article.

If it won’t bother you, let us know some specifics so we can help you figure things out.

Sorry it ran so long. Good Luck.

My chest was fugged up for 15 months, 8 days. I could twist, bend, or take a deep breath. Two days after getting hypnotized, I could bend over.

My mother does hypnotherapy. She’s had several morbidly obese clients lose a healthy bit of weight. But, she tells all of them, if they don’t want to change the way they live, her talking nice to them ain’t gonna help one bit.

I suggest acupuncture with hypnosis. Acupuncture does indeed work, I was skeptical at first.

First of all hypnosis isn’t going to change anything YOU don’t want to change. If someone is pressuring you to lose weight and you aren’t committed don’t waste your money.

Overeating is usually an issue of needing to nurture yourself. You will be very suprised as to what can trigger things like this.

Like Summer said make sure to check into the hynotherapist you are going to see. Many of them become a “hypnotherapist” by doing an online course and then they take your money for nothing.

I have been in a hypnotherapy course for 8 months now and it takes a lot of work and time to be able to confidently work on someone. The therapist needs hands on instruction period. One thing you can look into is see if there is a hypnotherapy school near you and go work with the students. They are monitored by an instructor and it won’t take a big bite out of your wallet.

If you are ready to make the change I would have to say go for it and don’t look back. Hypnotherapy is very powerful. I have seen and experienced some amazing transformations because of it.

Let us know how everything works out.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
Seriously folks, I’m considering hypnotherapy as a tool to help me lose weight.
I have been trying to change my habits for quite some time now and I really think that I might be addicted to eating. Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not one of those kooks that want to sue the fast food industry, but I got some real issues with food. I saw a special on tv that had people try most of the major diets out there today and one of them went through hypnotherapy, started a workout regimen, and cleaned up his diet. He came in second only to the guy who did atkins and started working out.
This is what I’m considering, A low carb diet combined with hypnotherapy. There’s on old saying that says the stronger the mind, the stronger the body. Maybe if I can fix what’s going on in my head I’ll be able to stay on track with diet and exercise.

I really appreciate in advance everyones feedback on this. I know that theres some damn smart folks on this site

THANX! [/quote]

big flamer,

I think hypnotherapy is a good idea! In our American culture everything revolves around food. Even people that are dieting have food on the mind all the time, they seem to be hyperfocused on it. Every other commercial on t.v. is a food ad. Our American culture has some very deep issues with food.

When I was growing up I had to work out in the fields, picking onions. My family had very little money so eating out in a restaurant was totally out of the question. I remember our night to eat out was going to Kmart and eating these sandwiches, that where ham on dinner rolls with mustard and lettuce YUCK!!

The problem was when I could afford to go out, I went to town, eating everything in sight! I made up for not having money as a kid. Hell I even start to sweat (literally), when at work, co-workers bring goodies and I’m trying to stop myself from just going into a feeding frenzy!

I was even thinking the other day I wish, that there was a way that I could shut the side of my brain that covets food. I have successfully, at times been able to do that myself (body building competitions). Other times it has been a difficult task.

Hypnotherapy is worth a try, in my opinion that is! Good luck to you and keep us posted on your experience with it!
“Sancho”

You might try self-hypnosis. There are several good books on it, including “Instant Self-Hypnosis” (available at Amazon) which Brantt recommended on another thread.

As far as Wendi Friesen goes, I don’t have much respect for her. I’m sure her weight loss tapes are as effective as any other induction you might pay for (in tape form), but I can’t endorse any hypnotherapist that sells penis enlargement tapes. Really.

Your best results are going to come in the form of either self-hypnosis or live hypnosis by a professional who knows how to respond to the cues you give as the induction goes on.

As far as finding out what the underlying issues are… I know it’s not in vogue at the moment, but a traditional psychotherapist can work wonders.