T Nation

Hypertropy Question

This might be a stupid question but im not sure and i tried to check all the skickies. My main routine for the last 3 years have been strength programs i guess mainly cause I trained in the 4-6 rep range for almost all exercises. Now i want to get into a program that will get me the most muscle and size, so is it a Hypertropy program im after? What rep ranges should i switch to doing to get most muslce? Sorry if this is such a noob question!

Is your profile up to date?
If so why are you carrying that much garbage after years of training?
How old are you?
Why not start with a slim down program?
That is kind of the price for asking for free advice. Since you cannot fire us we can be honest we have nothing to loose. For nicer answers maybe you can pay a trainer who must be real nice to you to keep his/her income stream.
All the best!

There are two articles that were just recently published by Clay Hyght about bodybuilding program

Read them and apply what you read

When I started training I tought rep ranges were dictating what I was trying to accomplish with my workouts, not anymore

My rep ranges are from 3 to 100… and yes im serious

[quote]zraw wrote:
When I started training I tought rep ranges were dictating what I was trying to accomplish with my workouts, not anymore

My rep ranges are from 3 to 100… and yes im serious[/quote]

Mine are from 3 to 30. Where are you using 100 reps? Legs and rear delts?

If not rep ranges, what would you say does dictate most what you accomplish with your workouts? Overall training load on the muscle group via heavy low reps combined with less-heavy high reps?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
When I started training I tought rep ranges were dictating what I was trying to accomplish with my workouts, not anymore

My rep ranges are from 3 to 100… and yes im serious[/quote]

Mine are from 3 to 30. Where are you using 100 reps? Legs and rear delts?

If not rep ranges, what would you say does dictate most what you accomplish with your workouts? Overall training load on the muscle group via heavy low reps combined with less-heavy high reps?[/quote]

the 100 is when doing destroyer set for rear delts yes

What does dictate what I accomplish in my workout is destroying the muscles… for that I need hard contractions, some low rep ranges and some high rep ranges sets… its basically just feeling like your muscle is drained and you couldnt do any heavy lifting but couldnt do any low weight high reps lifting either

I stopped logging the weights I used

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
When I started training I tought rep ranges were dictating what I was trying to accomplish with my workouts, not anymore

My rep ranges are from 3 to 100… and yes im serious[/quote]

Mine are from 3 to 30. Where are you using 100 reps? Legs and rear delts?

If not rep ranges, what would you say does dictate most what you accomplish with your workouts? Overall training load on the muscle group via heavy low reps combined with less-heavy high reps?[/quote]

the 100 is when doing destroyer set for rear delts yes

What does dictate what I accomplish in my workout is destroying the muscles… for that I need hard contractions, some low rep ranges and some high rep ranges sets… its basically just feeling like your muscle is drained and you couldnt do any heavy lifting but couldnt do any low weight high reps lifting either

I stopped logging the weights I used
[/quote]

That sounds pretty straightforward.

Is there a basic formula you use?

Something like moderate rep light weights to get the blood flowing, then low rep heavy for a couple sets, then moderate rep as heavy as possible for a couple sets, then high rep heavy as possible to finish?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
When I started training I tought rep ranges were dictating what I was trying to accomplish with my workouts, not anymore

My rep ranges are from 3 to 100… and yes im serious[/quote]

Mine are from 3 to 30. Where are you using 100 reps? Legs and rear delts?

If not rep ranges, what would you say does dictate most what you accomplish with your workouts? Overall training load on the muscle group via heavy low reps combined with less-heavy high reps?[/quote]

the 100 is when doing destroyer set for rear delts yes

What does dictate what I accomplish in my workout is destroying the muscles… for that I need hard contractions, some low rep ranges and some high rep ranges sets… its basically just feeling like your muscle is drained and you couldnt do any heavy lifting but couldnt do any low weight high reps lifting either

I stopped logging the weights I used
[/quote]

That sounds pretty straightforward.

Is there a basic formula you use?

Something like moderate rep light weights to get the blood flowing, then low rep heavy for a couple sets, then moderate rep as heavy as possible for a couple sets, then high rep heavy as possible to finish?[/quote]

I do what John Meadows tell me to do haha

[quote]hailmary5150 wrote:
This might be a stupid question but im not sure and i tried to check all the skickies. My main routine for the last 3 years have been strength programs i guess mainly cause I trained in the 4-6 rep range for almost all exercises. Now i want to get into a program that will get me the most muscle and size, so is it a Hypertropy program im after? What rep ranges should i switch to doing to get most muslce? Sorry if this is such a noob question![/quote]

You’re excused.

Now you can stop being so lazy and actually read some of the hundreds (maybe thousands) of articles on bodybuilding on this site and the millions on the net and in magazines and books or converse with other people in gyms.

[quote]zraw wrote:
There are two articles that were just recently published by Clay Hyght about bodybuilding program

Read them and apply what you read

[/quote]

Yup! People don’t even need much more than the info he provides in those articles.