T Nation

Hypertrophy with 5 Sets of 6 Reps

hey CT, I would like to know what your doing with your client when your doing this kind of hypertrophie. You do only 1x main lift 5 sets of 6 reps or more than one ? and what are you doing after this main lift ?

thanks you sir

[quote]bigmax wrote:
hey CT, I would like to know what your doing with your client when your doing this kind of hypertrophie. You do only 1x main lift 5 sets of 6 reps or more than one ? and what are you doing after this main lift ?

thanks you sir[/quote]

1. Main lift (which is periodized, it’s not necessarily 5x6, 5x6 is only one of the loading in the periodized scheme)

2. Assistance exercise 1 which is another compound movement resembling the main lift (weeks 1 to 5 it is to work on strengthening the main weak point, weeks 6 to 8 it’s done to get used to handling heavier weights… e.g. partial lifts)

3. Assistance exercise 2
    Weeks 1-5 = “bodybuilding-type” work for the weakest muscle involved in the main lift
    Weeks 6-8 = exercise targeting your strongest link in the main movement

Then week 9 is a peak week with a very low frequency of training, no assistance exercises and testing your max on the main lifts.

sick thanks you !!

last question, so 5 sets of 6 reps if enought to hit at maximum my main lift ?

[quote]bigmax wrote:
last question, so 5 sets of 6 reps if enought to hit at maximum my main lift ?[/quote]

Yes