Hypertrophy Training vs Fat Loss Training w/ Weights

So after Chris Shutgart said using WS4SB with the V-Diet is not a sensible idea, since both are programmed for different goals (paraphrasing but you get the gist), it got me thinking… If it’s not Strength then it’s hypertrophy right? Therefore is fat loss training just like hypertrophy training i.e. higher reps. I am ignoring cardio work here. Strictly using weights for fat loss.

This got me a little worried since I’ve been taught that the typical bro statment of “higher reps cut your muscles” is completely false. I get you don’t “cut” muscles by higher reps, but is there some underlying truth here?

Higher reps = greater energy expenditure and metabolic shift, therefore it works well for fat loss. Example, TNation recommends complexes for fat loss, but surely this will have a significant impact on muscle hypertrophy or is there a fundamental difference between the two?

Complexes and HIIT circuits are great for fat loss and conditioning, and depending on how the rest of your training is, they can aid some in hypertrophy. But those things don’t have to be higher reps sets to accomplish the goal. For example pick 4 full body exercises and do just 4 reps each over and over for 20 minutes, such as front squats, pullups, dips, and ab wheel. The goal is to get your heartrate through the roof.

Right, I see the difference now.

What’s the scientific explanation of high heart rate = metabolic boost. I.e. when heart rate comes back down to equilibrium, why wouldn’t metabolism? Maybe point me in the direction of an article, if this is already covered.

[quote]TrapsLatsnHat wrote:
Right, I see the difference now.

What’s the scientific explanation of high heart rate = metabolic boost. I.e. when heart rate comes back down to equilibrium, why wouldn’t metabolism? Maybe point me in the direction of an article, if this is already covered.[/quote]
Heart rate is pumping more oxygen through the body to be used in the energy burning process, and is directly related to energy expenditure.

If you wore a heartrate monitor for the whole day, you would see that your HR would take quite some time for it to get back to base level. Also due to the muscle damage incurred, you would be spending energy actually repairing those muscles.

Also strength complexes and HIIT circuits have a different hormonal effect than standard low intensity cardio like jogging or the elliptical.

Ecchastang, i just want to make a comment on how much one can learn from your posts. Im not the smartest dude, but i do like knowing how things work and why, and your stuff is always informational so thanks for that.

Again, makes sense, thank you :slight_smile:

[quote]GetitUp wrote:
Ecchastang, i just want to make a comment on how much one can learn from your posts. Im not the smartest dude, but i do like knowing how things work and why, and your stuff is always informational so thanks for that. [/quote]

x2

Ecchastang’s a beast

also if you’re used to resting for a long time between sets, you’d be surprised at the difference shortening your rest periods to less than a minute can make on heart rate and fat loss.

Sometimes little tweaks like that are all you need

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]GetitUp wrote:
Ecchastang, i just want to make a comment on how much one can learn from your posts. Im not the smartest dude, but i do like knowing how things work and why, and your stuff is always informational so thanks for that. [/quote]

x2

Ecchastang’s a beast[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]GetitUp wrote:

x2

Agreed.
[/quote]

Meh. He weighs less than 160. Doesn’t he know this is a bodybuilding forum?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]GetitUp wrote:

x2

Agreed.
[/quote]

Meh. He weighs less than 160. Doesn’t he know this is a bodybuilding forum?[/quote]

What? I didn’t know that.

Fuck him then, he’s a pussy

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]GetitUp wrote:

x2

Agreed.
[/quote]

Meh. He weighs less than 160. Doesn’t he know this is a bodybuilding forum?[/quote]

Maybe the missus won’t buy him pasta.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]GetitUp wrote:

x2

Agreed.
[/quote]

What? I didn’t know that.

Fuck him then, he’s a pussy[/quote]
Agreed. But currently bulking to fill out the 74kg category since USAPL is addopting IPF weight classes next year.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

Maybe the missus won’t buy him pasta.[/quote]
True. She is gluten free, so haven’t eaten pasta in years.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]GetitUp wrote:

x2

Agreed.
[/quote]
x3

And he’s a fellow climber