Hypertrophy Training in a Caloric Deficit

I think it is fair to say that most folks train in a hypertrophic rep range most of the time

I read and listen to podcasts and the authorities on the subject do not recommend much difference in training for fat loss and muscle building

However, the majority of the experts proclaim recomposition is not likely unless you are new to training, obese, or on aas.

So you would think since you will likely not be gaining muscle mass during periods of a caloric deficit, that they would recommend a different training protocol.

I think generally, itā€™s recommended that you lower your volume a little bit when youā€™re in a caloric deficit. That volume has a big energy cost that you arenā€™t able to fill the demand of in a deficit. Every training program works better in a surplus for that reason.

3 Likes

I donā€™t believe in a hypertrophic rep range but a hypertrophic blend of intensity and volume. During a deficit, I dial down volume and dial up intensity. Its not to recomp; its to ensure my body understands that muscle is still important and to keep as much as possible

4 Likes

I can not remember the name of the piece but there was a writer for T nation that said ā€œDuring a deficit the best muscle building work out becomes the best muscle preserving workoutā€. And this is the reason you donā€™t change too much between deficit and surplus. That is the idea behind ā€œnot changing too muchā€.
Personally Iā€™m not sure of this logic. The best hypertrophy programmes Iā€™ve seen require so much effort you would not recover unless you eat like it your job.

Programmes like 531 bbb, 531 BtM, Deepwater and supersquats done on a deficit would be a disaster.

As someone ā€œrecompingā€ now - I might fit into the ā€œobeseā€ range (Iā€™m 107kg at 183cm). But I think it is 100% possible - but you need to be careful how you define it.
I define it as - a changing your body fat to muscle ratio. Which is easy. Just lose more fat than muscle. This by definition changes the ā€œcompositionā€ of your body. Do I need to build muscle - no. But I think I am to be fair. Not lots - but enough.

1 Like

It may have been said already but if you built your muscle using method X, you should continue using this method to keep this muscle during a deficit. Suppose you change to method Y during your cut, your body probably wonā€™t add much muscle from the new stimulus, but it is more likely to dump muscle that was attained from X method due to lower stimuli.

This is all hypothetical though. Most people over 10%BF wonā€™t be losing muscle during a cut unless youā€™re deliberately training like a fuckwit.

Coach Thibbs @Christian_Thibaudeau said it best

4 Likes

More of us are obese than care to admit it

7 Likes

all makes sense.

1 Like

Iā€™m unsure how obese is defined, but i know it when i see it

I donā€™t even need to see it sometimes. Whenever someone is called ā€œbraveā€ for showing his/her body, I know thatā€™s a fat fuck right there. Obese, if you will.

2 Likes

BMI over 30 is classified as obese.

I know Iā€™m coming off as short, which isnā€™t my intention. I just am trying to illustrate that most of us have plenty of tissue to fuel a recomp without worrying too awful much.

6 Likes

uncomfortable_kid_holding_glass_and_looking_away

3 Likes

A lot of podcast guys just say the same thing that other podcast guys said. They get super into trends and fads and Group Think kinda scenarios this way. Whatever is hip this month is like all they speak about.

But if you look around there are plenty of coaches who say to push ā€œenergy systems workā€ or do stuff that challenges your conditioning during fat loss.

5 Likes

Maybe I just cannot understand the question, but I think all of my training was hypertrophic training, whether in a deficit or a surplus. My idea of hypertrophic training is very broad, as even powerlifting training facilitates a strength foundation to add more muscle.

In a deficit I would have little expectation of adding muscle (without the aid of AASā€™s). In fact, I donā€™t think I was ever in a deficit when I wasnā€™t on a cycle.

Maybe I shouldnā€™t comment at all. Just mark my opinion as ā€œa well trained person is not going to add muscle in a deficit without steroids.ā€ Just saying.

2 Likes

This is true, depressing and encouraging all at the same time.

1 Like

Have many people on here, or people you know actually done a recomp?

Iā€™ve managed to do successful cuts and bulks but never a recomp but Iā€™m not sure I was ever really doing the correct nutrition bits needed to achieve fat loss and muscle growth at the same time.

1 Like

recomp = slow muscle gain and slow fat loss, usually accomplished with subpar nutrition and results.

Iā€™ve ā€˜recompedā€™ before but would have done better if Iā€™d just done the old bulk and cut. I truly believe recomping is only valid for beginners due to neurological adaptation to the significantly increased physiological stressors of newbie training (which explains how newbies can lose fat and gain muscle both with shit nutrition). Outside of this phase, I donā€™t think recomping holds water.

Just my $0.02

2 Likes

This piece by thibs speaks to me. I FEEL like im shrinking. Like all my gains are disappearing. And im not lean yet. 5ā€™10, 181.

Likely somewhere between 15 and 20 pct bodyfat. But im going to power thru. Not looking to be ā€œshreddedā€. But i want to get to about 10-12 pct. If i look like shit when its done, well. Least ill know where i am and ill go from there

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if my thoughts are going to come out coherently, so Iā€™ll just start jotting them down in an arbitrary order and weā€™ll see where they land.

• I do think Iā€™m in a ā€œrecompā€ probably ~half the time. The below ramble will hopefully explain why.
  • Whether a recomp is ā€œsuccessfulā€ I believe depends on expectations. Like @Andrewgen_Receptors pointed out, I canā€™t expect to strive for mediocrity in both muscle gain and fat loss and expect to see powerful visual changes.
  • Even the coaches who advocate recomps point out that trained folks canā€™t expect ā€œsignificantā€ changes in either muscle gain or fat loss.
  • Letā€™s take significant to its statistical definition rather than a generic ā€œoh, I just wonā€™t see a ton.ā€ Now weā€™re talking a maintenance mode, because grams either way wonā€™t be statistically significant. Weā€™ve all done a successful maintenance phase.
  • Even if weā€™re trained but fat, for example, I think we can see a recomp by focusing on fat loss. Letā€™s say Iā€™m going from 20% to 10%. Iā€™m not getting stage lean and thereā€™s no reason to expect muscle loss. Iā€™d imagine I could get a little stronger for 12 weeks of my 16-week diet, and not lose strength that last month. So Iā€™ve lost significant bodyfat and likely gained statistically insignificant muscle mass; maybe thatā€™s a recomp instead of a cut.
  • I do think gaining or losing phases are clearly more efficient and weā€™re certainly better off setting goals and gearing our variables toward achieving those goals.
  • All that said, if we havenā€™t had all our ducks dialed in (training, cardio, nutrition, recovery), I think itā€™s best to get those tight and call it recomp or maintenance or whatever. After that, decide whatā€™s holding you back (Iā€™m either too fat or undermuscled) and attack that with a dedicated plan.

Hopefully that made sense. At the end of the day I guess I personally believe:

1. If everything is not dialed in, do that at around maintenance calories.
  2. Once your variables are all controlled, take calories up or down depending on your gap.
7 Likes

I have and Iā€™m not a beginner but I fall into the category of having excess flub. In October of 2020 my DEXA was 22.3% bf, 169.2 pounds lean tissue and 50.5 pounds of fat. October of 2021 my next DEXA was 20.3% bf, 174.5 pounds of lean tissue and 46.7 pounds of fat. So, lost just under 4 pounds of fat while gaining a little over 5 pounds of muscle. Perhaps I would have had better results with a sustained cut. Bulking is something I donā€™t need any more of at 40+.

1 Like

Natty reality

Realising the ā€˜gainsā€™ you made were pounds of fat and grams of muscle

A nattys first cut is the the black pill of training

8 Likes