Hypertrophy Range for Forearms/Calves

I understand that the guidelines for strength is 3-5 rep range and size is around 6-8 rep range. So my question is that do these guidelines also apply to the forearm and calf muscles? Would 3-5 rep on direct forearm or calf be pointless and therefore should i just stick to moderate to high reps for these muscles, because ive read that these particular muscle respond better to moderate/high reps.

Forearms and calves usually respond better to mod/high reps and higher volume.

yea i was under that impression, but can someone explain, is it because the calves and forearms mainly consist of slow twitch fibers?

[quote]yoked4u wrote:
yea i was under that impression, but can someone explain, is it because the calves and forearms mainly consist of slow twitch fibers?[/quote]

No bro, it’s because range of motion is shorter, thus taking less time on each rep and dimnishing time under tension per rep.

For increasing TUT, … increase reps.

I usually double the reps for forearms and calves, that means ranging anywhere from 12 (6 for other bodyparts) to 25 (12 for other bodyparts) on working sets.

Personally my forearms get plenty of work from work and heavy lifting. When I do train them I, like MEYMZ, shoot for 16-20 reps. For calves I hit them with either a high rep/medium weight or low rep/heavy-ass weight. My rep range on calve rises never dips below 12 and tops out at 30.

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
yoked4u wrote:
yea i was under that impression, but can someone explain, is it because the calves and forearms mainly consist of slow twitch fibers?

No bro, it’s because range of motion is shorter, thus taking less time on each rep and dimnishing time under tension per rep.

I usually double the reps for forearms and calves, that means ranging anywhere from 12 (6 for other bodyparts) to 25 (12 for other bodyparts) on working sets.[/quote]

awesome thanks man i never really thought about that…

[quote]yoked4u wrote:
MEYMZ wrote:
yoked4u wrote:

I usually double the reps for forearms and calves, that means ranging anywhere from 12 (6 for other bodyparts) to 25 (12 for other bodyparts) on working sets.

awesome thanks man i never really thought about that… [/quote]

No problem amigo, that was a better opener than other recent threads around.

[quote]yoked4u wrote:
MEYMZ wrote:
yoked4u wrote:

awesome thanks man i never really thought about that… [/quote]

Thanks for the info!

Makes plenty sense!

B

Thought I’d just add that working your forearms (not so much calves) with a heavy weight suitable for 3-6reps would not be a good idea. Could result in joint pain or injury. I don’t train them directly but it makes sense to me. Calves always go with higher reps and make sure you feel a big stretch in the dorsiflexed position, i also squeeze them at the top of every rep.

DJ