Hypertrophy Me!

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Since you asked about an arms day, this is how I’m training right now:

Day 1 - chest/back
Day 2 - arms
Day 3 - legs
Day 4 - shoulders

I take a rest day whenever I feel it’s necessary. Usually at least 2 rest days between day 4 and day 1.[/quote]

I like this too…and the 2 rest days is good.

I used to train chest/back together and LOVED IT! after I was warmed up both bodyparts seemed to move weight easier.

The pump is awesome too. lol

DG

Since I never work hams and quads together (too draining) I do:

Mon: Chest/back
Tues:Quads/abs/calves
Thurs:Shoulders/arms
Fri:Hams/abs/calves

To everyone doing chest and back together, do you deadlift?

[quote]Maelstrom wrote:
If you had to recommend to me the best routine for achieving lean hypertrophy, would it honestly be a split or a full body? Have been looking at a FB incorporating 1 leg, shoulder, back and chest compound plus 2 isos, and also been looking at a 4 day bodypart split (back/bi, chest/tri, legs, shoulders/traps/abs).[/quote]

Depends on your level of development. If you are not pushing and pulling serious weight, why? Either full body or a 4 day split??? Those are the only two choices?

[quote]Maelstrom wrote:
OK well I’m sorry if my question isn’t the most original- I’m new here! It’s just that I’ve been reading all sorts of articles about the pro’s and con’s of full bodies and splits, and the general consensus I get is that both have their place in phsique building. Full bodies seem to be linked to athletic-related or functional strength, but less for overall hypertrophy or mass gains. Splits however seem to be a luxury if you have the time, as they are the best for generating hypertrophy, and should ideally be moved onto once you’re past the noob stage of weightlifting. So basically I just wanted this confirmed?[/quote]

There is no real logic to this. The person who actually NEEDS to do something completely different as a newbie just to gain the strength necessary to use a split routine more than likely lacks decent genetics for this to begin with. The term “functional strength” needs to be shot in the head and laid to rest. You are FUNCTIONAL at whatever the fuck it is you train for.

OK, well I’m gonna put my neck out there now and admit to some of my lifts… I’m only been training for about 4-5 months, and part of me thinks that maybe my concept of lifts stalling is actually because my expectations of how fast progression should occur is unrealistic…

squat - 55kg (+bar) x 12
deadlift - 100kg (+bar) x 8
bench - 30kg dumbbells each side x 8
shoulder press - 24kg dumbbells each side x 8
BOR - 30kg dumbbells each side x 8

[quote]RossDB wrote:
To everyone doing chest and back together, do you deadlift?[/quote]

Rack Pulls. (spares the hamstrings so they’re fresh on leg day)

Make like a banana and split.
Ok,I just wanted to make that joke before I forget it,I just thought of it (I kill me)
What are your priorities?

Personal experience,I just found it easier to stay lean when doing Total Body Training and was more defined/sculpted,but definitely bulked out a lot more and a lot quicker on splits.
My two cents.

The best way is to pick a handful of big lifts that cover your whole body, say the powerlifts plus military presses. Have one day for each, and do the big lifts for whatever rep range works best for you. Follow up with assistance work for the big lift.

So, for bench presses, you’d start with bench presses, say e.g. working to a top set of 5. Then you’d do floor presses or boards, heavy dumbbell work or a machine press, maybe pec deck to finish off, and then some triceps extensions/pushdowns, or jm presses or whatever. Usually the assistance stuff will take higher reps.

The whole goal is to drive the big lifts up. If you go from squatting 250 to squatting 500 and from benching 150 to 350, you will be a lot bigger regardless of whatever else you are doing.

[quote]RossDB wrote:

Yes

[quote]RossDB wrote:

My upcoming program has a Chest/Back day with no deadlifting, no conventional deadlifts, and a leg day that includes sumo deadlifts.

Thibs wrote an excellent two part article on how to design a good program, etc. I’m too lazy to link it so just use the search function.