Hypertrophy Me!

If you had to recommend to me the best routine for achieving lean hypertrophy, would it honestly be a split or a full body? Have been looking at a FB incorporating 1 leg, shoulder, back and chest compound plus 2 isos, and also been looking at a 4 day bodypart split (back/bi, chest/tri, legs, shoulders/traps/abs).

[quote]Maelstrom wrote:
If you had to recommend to me the best routine for achieving lean hypertrophy, would it honestly be a split or a full body? Have been looking at a FB incorporating 1 leg, shoulder, back and chest compound plus 2 isos, and also been looking at a 4 day bodypart split (back/bi, chest/tri, legs, shoulders/traps/abs).[/quote]

The best routine for hypertrophy is the routine that brings your strength for moderate (or high reps in case of quads) up the fastest.

Does anyone else get the feeling that every single topic nowadays is exactly the same as the one before?

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
Does anyone else get the feeling that every single topic nowadays is exactly the same as the one before?[/quote]

Now, why would you think that?

;D

There is no god routine; people should get that in their heads.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
Does anyone else get the feeling that every single topic nowadays is exactly the same as the one before?[/quote]

Ukrainian,

Seems like it, huh? Last week was, defining what makes a bodybuilder a bodybuilder. And I believe this week’s theme is how many sets/reps will “hypertrophy me”…

[quote]Josh Rider wrote:
There is no god routine; people should get that in their heads. [/quote]

Of course someone had to post one of the most over-used, totally out of context statements ever. Like in every single one of these threads.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
The best routine for hypertrophy is the routine that brings your strength for moderate (or high reps in case of quads) up the fastest.
[/quote]

C_C, a little detail:
Wouldn’t you say calves goes for high rep strength gains too (opposed to moderate rep), unless fancy-spancy stretching and pausing techniques are employed? (And potentially glutes?)

Just asking :slight_smile:

OK well I’m sorry if my question isn’t the most original- I’m new here! It’s just that I’ve been reading all sorts of articles about the pro’s and con’s of full bodies and splits, and the general consensus I get is that both have their place in phsique building. Full bodies seem to be linked to athletic-related or functional strength, but less for overall hypertrophy or mass gains. Splits however seem to be a luxury if you have the time, as they are the best for generating hypertrophy, and should ideally be moved onto once you’re past the noob stage of weightlifting. So basically I just wanted this confirmed?

[quote]Maelstrom wrote:
OK well I’m sorry if my question isn’t the most original- I’m new here! It’s just that I’ve been reading all sorts of articles about the pro’s and con’s of full bodies and splits, and the general consensus I get is that both have their place in phsique building. Full bodies seem to be linked to athletic-related or functional strength, but less for overall hypertrophy or mass gains. Splits however seem to be a luxury if you have the time, as they are the best for generating hypertrophy, and should ideally be moved onto once you’re past the noob stage of weightlifting. So basically I just wanted this confirmed?[/quote]

Correct, generally speaking…

[quote]ukrainian wrote:

That is because one can only say “lift weights and eat” so many different ways before it all starts to just be a regurgitation of someone else’s ideas.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
ukrainian wrote:
Does anyone else get the feeling that every single topic nowadays is exactly the same as the one before?

That is because one can only say “lift weights and eat” so many different ways before it all starts to just be a regurgitation of someone else’s ideas.[/quote]

the sad part is…it’s really that simple.

You can get into which lifts, or what food…but after that people tend to overcomplicate things imo.

DG

OK, so your best mate asks you for your advice about what routine to follow. If you had to recommend a FB, a split, or any routine, what would you choose?

[quote]Maelstrom wrote:
OK, so your best mate asks you for your advice about what routine to follow. If you had to recommend a FB, a split, or any routine, what would you choose?[/quote]

split. Large muscle + small muscle (back/bi, etc) legs by themselves.

do your own research to man, when I see posts like this I think that people just want a handout routine because they are not knowledgable enough to make their own or just lazy.

DG

Oh believe me I do research, seems I spend half my life reading various articles, workouts and forums- the more I read though the more I open my eyes to alternatives! Out of interest, what would you group shoulders with? Was thinking of just throwing in a set of shrugs, or doing a bit of ab work, or maybe both…

[quote]Maelstrom wrote:
Oh believe me I do research, seems I spend half my life reading various articles, workouts and forums- the more I read though the more I open my eyes to alternatives! Out of interest, what would you group shoulders with? Was thinking of just throwing in a set of shrugs, or doing a bit of ab work, or maybe both…[/quote]

ok just making sure now we are getting somewhere. lol

I just changed up my routine and it looks like this

mon- back/arms
tues- hams/calves (light quad work)
wed- chest/shoulders
thurs- legs (dominant quad work)
fri- what I feel between back/chest/arms/shoulders…usually just one…thinking of making it an arm day since you can never have too big of arms unless your Phil Heath or somebody. lol :stuck_out_tongue:

you can really mix it up to your preference. Some call my split overtraining but I like it and it seems to be working.

DG

thanks for the help (and patience) mate! one final question though. if i was to go with a 5-way split, with an arms day, how would i space that out over the week to avoid ruining my back and chest days? or is 4 days enough really?

[quote]Maelstrom wrote:
thanks for the help (and patience) mate! one final question though. if i was to go with a 5-way split, with an arms day, how would i space that out over the week to avoid ruining my back and chest days? or is 4 days enough really?[/quote]

take arms out of monday on the split above and throw them in on friday???

sound good? lol

DG

[quote]Maelstrom wrote:
thanks for the help (and patience) mate! one final question though. if i was to go with a 5-way split, with an arms day, how would i space that out over the week to avoid ruining my back and chest days? or is 4 days enough really?[/quote]

An arm-day is kind of an organizational nightmare :wink:

If you have an arm-day, I’d say use a 4-way split…

example:

Day 1 - Chest+Back
Day 2 - off
Day 3 - Wheels
Day 4 - Delts (won’t affect triceps the next day if you stick to 1 major pressing movement, some laterals and face-pulls… And you could avoid locking out the overhead presses to keep your tris out even more)
Day 5 - Guns (with some heavy work for tris, not just pushdowns and skullcrushers! Close-Grip presses, SRGB’s, IH’s, HS dips…)

Another nice split where arms are coupled with chest:

Day 1 - Chest, biceps, triceps (in that order so that your tris can recover after chest work… And again, you can avoid lockout on chest stuff to keep the tris fresh)
Day 2 - Legs
Day 3 - off
Day 4 - Delts, Back
Day 5 - off
Day 6 - Repeat or take another off day… This split is very flexible as far as off-days/frequency goes. Was used by Dorian Yates for a long time, very good for beginners post introduction stage as well as intermediates… Allows you to use intensity techniques and just fit in another rest day if needed… Great split imo, though not necessary the best for an advanced guy.

Since you asked about an arms day, this is how I’m training right now:

Day 1 - chest/back
Day 2 - arms
Day 3 - legs
Day 4 - shoulders

I take a rest day whenever I feel it’s necessary. Usually at least 2 rest days between day 4 and day 1.