Hypertrophy for Hockey

Hey CT, first thanks you for what you do for us, i am a hockey player and i really like to train. I would like to know what’s your favorite rep scheme for an hypertrophy training. I want to be in shape when its time to play my hockey game but the 4-5 days i can train i wanna gain muscle.

What you suggest me ?

Thanks you very much

I use performance training to build muscle… so I rarely use higher reps, or even moderate reps.

One approach that I like is:

Ramp to a 3RM on a big lift in 8-12 sets.

Then take 80% of that result and either…

1. perform as many total reps as you can in 5, 8 or 10 mimutes… do not go all out on any “set” the goal is to get the highest number of reps as possible at the end of the time cap and this is best accomplished by stopping a few reps short on every set so that you can start a new set every 20 seconds or so…

2. perform 30 or 50 total reps in as little time as you can, again, use the same strategy as above.

If you are looking for a more traditional approach and do not want to complicate things, a rep scheme I like is 3 x 6, 3 x 3 (heavier), 1-3 x 10

Ater doing the ‘‘main’’ exercise, can i do anything else like fly for peck or thing like that ? And witch main exercises should i use for a 4 days training ?

[quote]bigmax wrote:
Ater doing the ‘‘main’’ exercise, can i do anything else like fly for peck or thing like that ? And witch main exercises should i use for a 4 days training ?[/quote]

Ask someone who does bodybuilding if you want advice on that. My programs stick to the main movements, done with different methods. I rarely incorporate isolation work unless for a very specific purpose (to solve a problem).

Alright thanks sir !!

But for the second questionn? Witch main exercise i have to use for a 4-5 days training ?

This a good program by CT :slight_smile:

DAY 1

1. Slight decline bench press ramp to 1RM
  2. Slight decline bench press from pins just above sticking point, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Slight decline bench press lockout (from pins, last 2-3"), start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Slight decline speed bench 6 x 3 with 50% of no.1

DAY 2

1. Power clean technique work, 6 x 2 with roughly 70%
  2. Front squat ramp to 1RM
  3. Back squat, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Back squat from pins just above sticking point start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  5. Prowler heavy pushes (as heavy as possible for 20 yards) 6 sets of 20 yards

DAY 3

1. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 1RM
  2. Snatch-grip low pulls, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Clean-grip low pulls, start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Romanian deadlift 3 x 6-8 reps

DAY 4

1. Slight decline bench pres ramp to 3RM
  2. Slight decline bench pres 8 x 3 @ 90% of no.1
  3. Slight decline close-grip bench from pins (just above sticking point) 4 sets of 3 with 80% of no.1
  4. DB shoulder press 4-5 sets of 6-8 reps

DAY 5

1. Back squat ramp to 3RN
  2. Back squat 6 sets of 3 with 90% of no.1
  3. Deadlift 4-5 sets of 4-6 reps
  4. Prowler sprints (moderate weight, maximum speed over 30m) 6 sets

DAY 6

1. Power clean & push press (or push jerk or split jerk) ramp to 2RM
  2. Power clean & push press (same as above) 6 sets of 2 with 90% of 2RM
  3. RDL 4-5 sets of 4-6 reps
  4. Power clean from hang (or blocks) 4 x 3 with 70% of 2RM

DAY 7

1. Regula bench press ramp to 6RM
  2. Regular bench bench 4 sets of 6 with 90% of no.1
  3. Floor press 4 sets of 6 with 80% of no.1
  4. Rope triceps extension 4-5 x 8-10

DAY 8

1. Back squat heels elevated (10lbs plate) ramp to 6RM
  2. Back squat heels elevated (10lbs plate)4 sets of 6 with 90% of 6RM
  3. Power clean complex (3 power clean + 3 push press + 3 front squats) 3 sets
  4. Prowler for distance (moderate weight and speed) max distance in 10 minutes

DAY 9

1. Power clean & push press (or jerk) 6 x 2 @ 70% of your 2RM from day 6
  2. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 6RM

DAY 10
Max out on power clean and bench

DO THAT CYCLE 3 TIMES, REST 1 DAY AFTER DAY 6 AND DAY 10

Already tried it, i would like to try what CT just told me but witch main exercises should i use ?

CT uses the same key exercise in all of his programs - so all of the main exercises listed in the program above are the ones CT would be likely to recomomed for the program he quoted to you.

I.e.
SGHP,
F.Squat/B.squat,
TB deadlift,
Bench press (slight inc, slight ecline, or flat)
Power clean

(there are others that he uses but these seem be the main ones)

I am currently just starting that same format (Ramp followed by density time cap) except with carries at the end a well. The density is brutal but i am noticing the training effect already.