Hypertrophy and the Overhead Press

Thibs (or anyone else),

Is there a difference in the hypertrophy experienced for standing overhead press versus seated overhead press?

[quote]Eric Buratty wrote:
Thibs (or anyone else),

Is there a difference in the hypertrophy experienced for standing overhead press versus seated overhead press?[/quote]

The former normally improves ‘core’ strength moreso than the later. A lot of people also tend to turn the seated overhead press into an incline press, which would involve the chest more.

I personally prefer the standing overhead press.

Jim Wendler put it eloquently. “You do your overhead presses the same way you pee.”

1 Like

If you are working on standing overhead press for size, you gotta try the Javelin press/single iron cross superset that CT had in one of his past articles. Its a great exercise to find out where your weaknesses are and target the shoulders big time.

Also, I have found that heavier weights on the standing press mainly work my triceps, whereas lighter weights hit my shoulders good.

I haven’t been donig any seated press though, so I cant compare the two as per your question.

[quote]IceCold43 wrote:
Jim Wendler put it eloquently. “You do your overhead presses the same way you pee.”[/quote]

One of the best quotes ever