T Nation

Hypertrophic Caloric Intake?

Hey Everybody,
I need a little advice. I am 5'8" and weigh 160 lbs. I trained for 10 yrs straight and then took 3 years off due to outside circumstances. I have been back in the gym for the past 3 weeks. My brother, who is NSCA certified, has got me on a hypertrophic lifting regimin. I trust him when it comes to training me, lifting wise. What I am wondering is; should
I be watching my caloric intake while training for mass, more than strength? Any input would be helpful.

If you trained for ten years, how much did you weigh before you quit training for 3 years? Wouldn't someone who trained for a decade already know how important food intake is? Your question makes little sense. If you are trying to gain weight, why wouldn't you think you needed to pay attention to caloric intake? If you are trying to gain muscle, why would you think you wouldn't need to focus on strength?

OK Prof X
That had a little venom in it. I trained for ten years on my own without any input except for what I read in muscle mags which we all know is not always as accurate as it should be. After listening to my bro, I realized I didn't know to much. So with a little humility, I thought I would try to learn a little something from people who know. Thanks for appreciating that.
Just looking for some help.

Thanks Klip

-grabs calculator...
That would work out to about 3840 calories a day.
Any specific formular for carbs, protein, and fat?

It wasn't "venom" it was common sense. I had those same magazines. I grew. I asked you how much you weighed. You didn't answer it. 10 years is a long time. If you don't understand basic concepts like needing more food to gain weight and needing to lift heavy to gain muscle mass, isn't that where you need to start? I mean, even those magazines didn't leave that out.

Prof X,

You grew because you have better genetics ,stop being such a negative arsehole.You are quite probably the most insecure person in the world,the only way you can bolster your crippled ego is to make other people feel bad.You may have an idea what you're talking about but that doesn't excuse you being an arsehole,and you really are.

Genetics might be somewhat important, but they're not everything. It doesn't matter what your genetics are... if you don't put enough effort and discipline into it, you're not gonna get anywhere.

Just my 2 cents.

I am 5'9", and I would have hit 160 during puberty regardless of wether or not I was weight training at the time, so I can understand where professer x is coming from, 160 at 5'8" at your training history seems really odd.

Maybe you were in the military, did too much cardio to add mass, or primarily trained the CNS instead of the muscles, or maybe those ten years you spent training weren't very productive because you only trained once a month during those ten years. I don't mean to be filled with venom either, but you have to explain to us why you are so small after all your training experience?

Well, no. He grew because he ate. But everybody's gotta start somewhere. If thie original poster didn't realize he needed to eat more before, he does now. No need to flame him for it. There are ways of saying something and ways of saying something. Easy to get acros the message that a person was fairly clueless and needs to eat much more without coming across like an asshole. I don't know why more people don't do it.

Not saying the Prof. really came across as an asshole in this. I think this is actually one of his tamer posts. The poster who said 24x times bodyweight provided a helpful rough starting point. Here's some other things that will help you finally eat what you should be eating to grow:

Massive Eating Reloaded:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459429

Massive Eating Reloaded 2:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459431

In general, read up on Berardi. And get eating! Do it right and you'll be putting on mass.

Some explanation would be nice. But does it really matter? Shouldn't the main focus be what he should be doing NOW to finally grow. The eating is the easy part to fix. Some details about your training should actually be posted so we can help you figure out what you've been doing wrong (if anything-if you weren't just eating way to little or doing way too much cardio or both.)

But we all know people who wouldn't have reached 160. We all know people tall and skinny, short and skinny--whatever. This "well I could..." bs is just that. You guys know nothing of this person yet seem to know how easy it should have been for him to weigh (x)lbs.

I would agree he sounds a little underinformed for 10? yrs training, but so what. We see people in the gym for years who remain the same size. We know nothing of his past goals. He has come here for info and gets called stupid. There are great times to pull the stupid card, This guy though has asked for direction. He doesn't want to gain 40lbs by spring break with a six pack, he wants to get bigger. If he hadn't posted his history, we wouldn't know to pick on him. If everyone knew all the 'basics' then we wouldn't need the beginner page or many of the articles on this site.

Poster. It is clear you must increase your caloric intake. Eat whole foods, drink whole milk..anything you can do to consume a few extra cals will help you. You don't need to jump out of the gate consuming whole cows. Increase over time to gain input into what works for you. Some people respond to different protocols. And for goodness sake, document what you are doing. Especially in the beginning, I can't stress enough how important it is to document everything. It will be impossible to judge success or failure of any plan without knowing the results over time of any changes you have made.

If you read articles on this site re: bulking you may be able to gather the info that you can put to use for you. Even if you don't follow the plan, you at least gain an understanding in the role nutrition plays in your future goals.

Your post is ridiculous. How would anyone know I had "better genetics" when I started weighing 150lbs? I grew because I trained regularly from the start and never quit. I grew because I knew from the beginning that I had to eat more. Any guy blaming their own lack of progress on genetics is letting no one down but themselves.

The one thing this poster needs to learn is the basic concept behind making progress. Yes, training for TEN WHOLE YEARS does raise some questions as to why he still hasn't learned this. Blaming it on magazines is also a cop out because those same mags have helped many others as far as being a starting point.

Right, Sasquatch.

Why did you wait so long before asking for advice ?

Kliplemet,

I would strongly disagree with your stat concerning how much protein E-Dub should be consuming. 0.73 g/lb doesn't even meet the RDA for protein requirements, and that is based on what a sedentary individual needs to maintain their muscle mass. E-Dub however is trying to gain muscle mass and guess what muscle is primarily composed of, protein. Therefore he should consume at the very least 1.5 (2 would probably be better) g/lb.

I agree wholeheartedly about needing to eat more though.

Good training,

Sentoguy

.73 might be a TAD on the lightside, but he most certainly does not need 2g/lb of protein to put on muscle. For muscle and protein synthesis most clinical research would show that 1g/lb is more than sufficient. The only reason to consume more protein would be for other dietary reasons like losing weight.

Your muscles are not primarily composed of protein. They are also not primarily composed of "essential amino acids". Your muscles are an estimated 70+% composition of simple H2O.

Agreed. Your body needs more protein when taking in LESS calories than it takes to maintain your body weight. If you are eating to gain, your goal should be to keep protein in storage and keep it from being used as a primary energy source. That means the largest concern is overall caloric intake, not protein.

In ten years of lifting I went from weighing 129 lbs at 5'6" to 5'8" or 9" and weighing 178 lbs with roughly the same body fat which was around 7 percent most of the time. So, If my math serves me I think I gained 49 lbs in ten years. 3 years ago, however I got married and then my wife got prego and then I started my own business. Having no time to lift and being under a considerable amount of stress took its toll on me. Recently my bro talked me in to going back into the gym. Now that I am training with him, given his credentials (see original post), I have realized that although I gained in the past, I didn't gain what I could have. These new lifting philosophies and training techniques that he has introduced me to have opened my eyes to the fact that I didn't know as much as I thought I did.