Hypermobility

I am currently gettin rehabilitation for an impingement of my left shoulder and found that I am Hypermobile. My doctor recommended that I not do a full range of motion on the bench press. flyes, military pressand back movements. I was wondering if there are any other big does and dont’s if you are Hypermobile. I nver even knew such a thing as hypermobility even existed and would like know a little bit more about it and any unique training strategies that I should adopt.

A little more info needs to be added to what the doc has told you. Mind you, this isn’t medical advice. See your doc before you take what I have to say as gospel.

I married into a family with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (Indian Rubber Man Syndrome), which is the probably the most insidious form of hypermobility and is a connective tissue disorder.

The usual recommendations for exercise are full range of motion for exercises that don’t significantly extend joints. For example, in the bench, your ROM is limited by your ribcage, not your shoulders’ connective tissue. So its OK. However, the Flye is a different story. Here, your shoulders’ connective tissue is the limited factor and the ROM needs to be reduced to what a less flexible person would use.

These are the types of exercises you need to reduce ROM with.

Glenohumeral joint instability can occur as a result of injury, congenital hypermobility, or just a gradual loosening of the ligaments. Sometimes surgery can correct this peoblem.
Problems from hypermobility often arise because the ratator cuff muscles exert a greater force than normal to stabilize the joint. This will lead to the cuff muscles being fatigued, followed by tendonitis and pain.
There are a few guidelines you should follow to keep your shoulders from being in a volnurable position. Do not perform any behind the neck exercises like pull downs or military press. Allways keep your hands in front of your body. When performing pressing movements like flat bench, dumbbell press, etc., you must try to limit horizontal abduction. This is accomplished by limiting hand spacing on the bar to 1.5 times shoulder width, and limiting the range of motion by stopping 3 - 4 inches above your chest. Incline movements should probably be avoided altogether because your shoulders are volnurable throughout the movement. Decline movements are acctually the least likely to agravate your condition. Stretching your shoulders should also be avoided.