Hyperextension Bench

I want to buy a hyperextension bench, and I’d like to know which do you think better, the 30 degree or the horizontal version? I’m buying it for erector development. (as shown on exrx under waist exercises)

Thanks, Vlad

Bump.
No opinions?

I like the 30 degree ones, but either is a viable option man.

Check around. I bought one that is very sturdy and it can be changed from an angled hyper to a roman chair type setup. Was about $75 more for the combo. Happy that I looked around and didn’t settle on one or the other…

This is the one I’m buying (around 210$). What do you think?

Thanks, Vlad

(sorry for the mistake-160$)

Note: I wasn’t able to find anything second hand, horizontal or otherwise.

This one is 500$. lol
Think it’s much better? (I can’t help laughing, since they look pretty much the same)

Save your money and get an old horizontal bench. Does the same freaking thing.

Apart from the original question, how good do you consider hypers to be for developing your erectors?

Health, (I don’t know how this sounds in English, but in Romanian it works as a greeting)
Vlad

If you do them weighted, and increasethe weight over time, then they would be adequate. However, I stopped doing them once I began to deadlift heavy.

I’d get the incline hyperextension bench just because the flat one’s curved pads are uncomfortable to me and I just like the feel of the incline one more.

You could make a poor man’s glute ham raise station. I saw a thread somewhere around here about making your own equipment. The self made glute-ham raise machine looked simple enough to make while still being sturdy.

But the best posterior chain machine, no doubt, is the Westside Barbell reverse hyperextension bench. After buying a power rack, an adjustable bench, some cheap multi-use plyo and squatting boxes, and Olympic Plate adjustable dumbbells the next piece of metal to get on my wish-list would be the plate loaded glute-ham raise machine or the hammer strength plate loaded pullover machine.

Horizontal Hypers are better for doing literally ‘reverse hypers’ via partner assist/dip belt w/weights around ankles. but 45 deg versions are better for getting into and out of with heavy weights across back

Is this something you want to add to your home gym? What other equipment do you have already?
If I wanted to set up a home gym, a hyper wouldn’t be high on my priority list.

If this is for your home gym I would suggest not investing in this type of equipment and instead get a reverse hyper or a glute ham raise. Go to Elitefts and see the variety that they have.

I have trained for the past 6 years with the same type of hyperextension machine you posted the pic and this year they brought for a test run a reverse hyper. No point in comparing. I do not know exactly what it is, but the change in the position trains not just your lower back, but glutes and hamstrings too.

Just a suggestion

Okay: I use mostly bw, and I can’t find any way to train the low back this way (at least at my current strength level). For one reason or the other -wether no one to teach me good form or give me any advice in the flesh at my gym(I asked a lot of people, but they’re technique was wether horrid or they used a belt), or perhaps some structural problems with my spine- squats, deads and oly lifts hurt my back. Always.

So, I decided on hypers. (well, another exercise which seemed to work well was the seated row…but it costs at leasy 5 times as much)

I don’t know if I can find a rev hyper in Romania (there are one or two gyms in Bucharest where there’s a chance to find one, so that I could ask the owners where to buy one).
Natural GHR is just as good, I guess.
But, I remember Dr Squat’s article.
drsquat.com/articles/exercisetechniques.html

In it, he states “back extensions” (which I tried on a normal hyper and DIDN’T work- horizontal pads…), put no stress on your spine if you don’t go past paralel (arch)…

So, is this possible? I guess they could be better than normal hypers…
Thanks, Vlad