Hypem's log: 5/3/1

Straight across sets on the deadlift… Doing 5x5 is NOT a good idea with relatively heavy weights ! I tried to be smart…

2 Likes

I’d read that post and bookmarked it already - solid advice.

Hypem, sounds like you made some great progress first time around. I’d be happy gaining 10-12kg.

I did 2 half marathons last year but it screwed my groin/abdomen so I’ve wasted the last 5 months recovering really. If you get a chance pop into my journal - I’ve planned my 5/3/1 for next 4 months so feedback from your experience would be good. Oh yeh - I bought 5/3/1 2nd Edition and Beyond 5/3/1 last week - read them fully twice through already!

1 Like

C2W2D1
Press
100 pull aparts
3x3 explosive push ups

5x35, 40, 45
7x5xFSL

Assistance total reps
75 pull ups
DB rows 3x20x18kg
Rear elevated split squats 30

Weight 88,00kg

C2W2D2
DL
5x50, 65, 80, 95
9x5x80 SLDL

Back felt fine but I feel more confident doing SLDL for now. Not sure if it’s in my head…

Total reps assistance
100 push ups
40 pull ups
60 hanging knee raises

1 Like

Bench

100 pull aparts, 3x3 explosive push ups

5x60, 67.5, 72.5, 77.5
I messed up my calculations, the 77.5kg should not have been there… Talk about the simplest strength program!

7x5xFSL (60kg)

Total assitance reps
57 pull ups
3x20x18kg DB rows
30 rear elevated split squats
2x10x18kg DB SLDL

Just write in the log, it was a great day, went for a joker :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sessions looking good.

For the SLDL is that 9 sets of 5 reps or 5 sets of 9 reps?

1 Like

9x5, my top sets are limited by my back at the moment so I do more supplemental work. The total number of sets is the same so I can superset the assistance

lol got t love it when our brain has a small brain fart…still a good session

1 Like

C2W3D1
OHP

100 pull aparts,3x3 explosive push ups

5x40, 45, 50
7x5xFSL

Total assistance reps
70 chins
3x20x18kg DB rows
30 rear elevated split squat
2x10x18kg DB SLDL

Weight 87,55kg

I missed the squat workout Friday as I was away this week end. I cycled a lot and felt great.

I’m building momentum slowly. Upper body lift sessions are going well, this week I’ll see if how squatting and deadlifting go. I think it should be fine.

My back will probably be back to normal soon but to avoid risking hurting it again I’ll stick to 5s pro for the next two cycles. I’m thinking of running the Krypteia prep phase as it’s quite similar to what I’m doing just now.

From there, I’ll either do Krypteia or Base Building by Paul Carter. I have read the book as it was frequently recommended by @MarkKo on this forum and found it interesting. The focus for both of these will be bar speed and accumulating quality volume with sub maximal weights.

3 Likes

C2W3D2
Squat
100 pull aparts, 4x3 box jumps

5x80, 95, 110 all pause, felt good!

7x5xFSL paused

Total assistance reps
50 chins
125 push ups
60 hanging knee raises

10 min on the rowing machine

I’m starting to get confidence back for my back.

1 Like

C2W3D3
Bench

100 pull aparts, 3x3 explsoive push ups

5x70, 77.5, 87.5, last set touch and go
7x5xFSL

54 chins
Db rows 3x20x18kg
30 BW rear elevated split squats
2x10x18kg DB SLDL

DL tomorrow. I will then take a deload as it’s been 6 weeks of training. I’m feeling pretty good and in good shape. I’ve been doing some hill sprints on wednesday.

1 Like

Good luck on the deadlift session before the deload. 54 chins sounds like an awful lot of chins

1 Like

Cheers I appreciate. It went ok! And the chins are not in a row ahah multiple sets of 8

C2W3D4
DL
100 pull aparts
4x3 box jumps

5x50, 65, 80, 95, 110
5x5x70 SLDL

Back felt right at 110. I might switch to SLDL as main movement or trap bar to get some work in but avoid back tightness.

Assistance reps
40 pull ups
100 push ups
60 hanging knee raises

2 Likes

Deload is going to be welcome next week.

I was set to start the Krypteia prep program next week. The thing that interested me was getting some quality volume along with a solid base of assistance work. However the program would have me deadlifting once and doing DB SLDL twice a week. I originally thought this would help my back to keep it moving.

My back is getting better and I can do SLDL with no issue but I’m conscious of the amount of volume I would need to recover from. I think I need to stay cautious and avoid ramping volume like that.

In Base Building, Paul Carter describes a 4-day split with squats and DL one on the same day. The three other days are bench/OHP/back. I think this would allow more time for recovery, focus on upper body and get quality volume in.

I’ll use the trap bar or SLDL as main lift for a bit. I find tightness is at the start of the pull from the floor, and even if I feel fine at the gym it’s tight the next day (not painful though)). I have been doing McGill Big 3.

I think this makes sense, basically giving my back time to breathe and focusing on the other lifts.

2 Likes

That Base Building book seems interesting. I need to read up on Krypteria too. Otherwise I may start b*stardising one of the 5/3/1 programs to add more volume!

Deload

100 pull aparts, 3x3 explosive push ups

Bench
Worked up to a single at 90kg, nice and smooth

DB press 2x10x16kg
30 total pull ups
DB rows 15x26kg

Gsg202: don’t add volume to the templates. Do it as is, BBB, building the monolith or triumvirate are no joke, I don’t see where volume needs added.

Krypteia is good and focuses on very few movements and accumulating volume with them.

1 Like

that’s probably what I will do - switch to one of the templates with extra volume in it compared to the SST

1 Like

Deload
Lower
DB squats, 10x16, 26, 36
20x36kg

BW squat 50 reps
2x34 lunges

Done! I didn’t want to put a bar on my back today, giving more it more time to rest. I’ll be back to training next week!

2 Likes

Looks like a good deload session.
Hope the back holds up

1 Like