Hypem's log: 5/3/1

I have the entire autumn and start winter to follow him, try to pick on his stuff, before starting the program.

2 Likes

Awwww shucks I thousand maybe you would join the group coaching and we run it together. :joy:

1 Like

Deload
100 pull aparts
3x3 box jump

Squat
5x3x90kg

Ohp as bench was taken
Worked up to 3x50kg, felt easy

Pull ups 2x10

Weight 88,00kg

Very glad this is deload week. I’ve been sleeping a bit less than normal due to diverse reasons out of my control, and I can feel the difference. If I don’t get my 8 hours I need to catch up on the week ends.

One cycle to go of high volume which will be fun. I’ll be happy once it’s over though.

I’m trying to plan my next cycles. I’m tempted to go with an upper/lower governed by rpe protocols, focusing on compound movements including the main lifts and close variations, inspired by the basic RTS template.
Not very keen on the high frequency stuff.

After that, I might go back a standard 531 to keep things simple. We’ll see.

1 Like

Deload

100 pull aparts

DL
5x3x110kg, felt better with my hands a bit less than thumb length away from the smooth

Bench
5x3x52.5kg

20 pull ups
10 min on rowing machine

Weight 87.75kg

2 Likes

Start of last hypertrophy cycle

ME Upper
100 pull aparts

Bench
5x60,70,80, 85@9

CGBP
2x6x70
2x6x65

OHP
4x6x40kg

65 pull ups
Bent over rows
5x8x60kg

40 push ups

I’m back home this week which is nice, sleep shoud be better

1 Like

ME lower

100 pull aparts

Squat, high bar, no belt
5x95,110, 122.5, 130@8

2x8x110
2x8x100

RDL
4x5x90

Hanging knee raises
4x15

3 Likes

Rep upper
100 pull aparts, 3x3 push ups onto 10kg plates

Wide grip bench middle finger on rings
6x6x60kg

55 pull ups

DB flies 403
3x8x10kg

DB rows
3x10x28kg

DB lateral raises
4x10x8kg

BB curls
3x8x20kg

Rep lower
100 pull aparts

Squat
4x8x80kg

Front squat
3x8x60kg

SGDL
2x8x70kg

Done

Not my best day, I haven’t been eating as much as usual here and been working construction during the day. That’s OK, I will be back on track next week.

2 Likes

JBack at work since Monday, been eating normally for just 2 days

Me upper
100 pull a parts 3x3 explosive push ups

Bench, moved my normal grip about a thumb + a thumb nail away from the smooth
5x60, 70, 80, 85@10

Close grip
3x6x70

Ohp
1x6x40
2x6x45
1x6x40

Bent over rows
6x8x60kg

Lateral raises
3x10x6kg

Bb curls
3x10x15kg

Weight 87,35kg

3 Likes

Me lower
100 pull aparts

Deadlift
Warm up then
3x110, 125, then belt on after that
5x140 (mixed grip after that), 155, 170@8,5

This felt good. Last time I had to reset at the fourth rep due to grip but this time I had chalk which made a big difference. I also used a bit of a wider stance and wider grip and got into better position

2x8x110kg

Front squat
3x6x60kg

Hanging knee raises
5x10

10 min on treadmill
Weight 87,85kg

3 Likes

How has your physique changed since you started? You’ve put on a fair bit of weight since you started this log.

My legs are pretty big compared to my upper body where I haven’t put on as much in comparison, I think. I used to be very lean because of triathlon and I have definitely put on fat. My back is ok I think.

I was 72kg, say at 10% and I am now about 87 at 16% according to the scale. That’s about half and half between fat and muscle.

I tend to lose weight very fast if I don’t eat my regular meals so I know I could lean down if I wanted to. My strength tend to vary greatly easpecially in my upper body if I don’t eat as much so leaning out is not a priority right now.

1 Like

Wow that’s cool seems like you’ve done a really good job.

You’re getting stronger and if you aren’t getting very fat seems like you’ve found the sweet spot.

1 Like

Rep upper

100 pull aparts, 3x3 explosive push ups

Wide grip bench (index on rings, paused)
6x6x65kg

Weighted pull ups, 2.5kg
10-9-7-6-5-5

Seated rows
Cluster set, 5min, 6 reps, 15s rest, repeat
10 sets total with 17.5kg on each side

DB flies
3x8x10kg

DB hammer curls
3x10x10kg

Db lateral raises
2x8x8kg
1x10x6kg

13 min on the rowing machine

Weight 88.00 kg

1 Like

Rep lower
100 pull aparts
3x3 Box jumps onto 36" box

Squat
5x10x100kg
I wanted to do more but I was wiped out

Front squat
5x60, 70, 80, 90

Hanging knee raises
3x10

Rear elevated db split squats
2x10x10kg in each ahnd

Done!

One more week of this cycle to go. I tried the safety bar today for squatting but it didn’t have the round support around the bar to rest on the neck. So the two bars to hold were resting on my clavicles making it very uncomfortable. Shame!

2 Likes

Me upper
100 pull aparts
3x3 explosive push ups

Bench, thumb + a thumb nail away from smooth seems to be my normal grip now

Warm up them
5x60, 70, 80
I felt OK but wanted to set a PR touch and go so
7x90@9,5
I came out of position on the second rep, I’ve been pausing all my reps when doing my normal bench work an also on my wide grips. So doing touch and go I went too fast on the way down. Still a PR though !

Paused I did 6x90@10 a couple of weeks ago

Close grip
8, 7x75
6x70

60 pull ups by then

Ohp
6x30, 40, 40
I felt something in my next in the second rep and there was no point in trying to do another set for the sake of it my shoulders were already tired at that point

Bent over rows
7x8x60

Bb curls
3x8x20kg

16 min on rowing machine

Weight 87,75kg

3 Likes

Me lower
100 push aparts

Squat, low bar
Warm up then
5x115, 130 (belt on),

So the aim or the day was 145kg. I expected 5 reps +.
I unrack it, squat it… And my short rip apart in a big noise! I was like did my belt just break open ?! I come up and do 4 more reps after pausing at the top trying not to laugh.
I definitely had 1 more rep in me which is good.

6x120, 110, 100

RDL
2x6x80kg

So my girlfriend signed me up for a 10k this week end, really not sure of what is going to happen. I thought I might do less volume and my ripped shorts gave me a good excuse ahah

25 min on the rowing machine

Weight 87, 75kg

3 Likes

Rep upper
100 pull aparts

3x3 explosive push ups

I did the last set after two sets of weighted pull ups an felt MUCH more explosive and went much further in the air

Wide grip bench from index on rings to pinkies on rings as the sets went

6x6x70kg all paused and I had more in me which is nice

Close grip
60kgx12, 3, 3, rest pause
The very last rep came to a complete stop a bit higher than mid range but manage to grind

Weighted pull ups with 5kg
8, 7, 7, 6, 5, 5, 4

Seated rows
Cluster set with 20kg on each side, 5 reps then 15s rest and repeat. 11 sets total

Db incline flies
2x8x10kg

Db hammer curls
2x10x10kg

Db lateral
2x10x6kg

15min in treadmill

Weight 87,25kg

Rep lower
Easy day today as I’m running a 10k on Sunday

4x4 box jumps onto 80cm box
100 pull aparts

Front squats
5x5x80kg

Hanging knee raises 80 reps

Done!

This is the end of 3 cycles of hypertrophy. I’m pretty happy about how it went. Although I think I could have increased the volume a bit less each week for the rep lower day. I had to reduce it after the second cycle as I didn’t have as much energy. This is due to going back at home and not eating as much for a week. Otherwise I think it would have been fine. I managed to adapt the volume and still get it done. That’s the advantage with this system is the weight is basically regulated for each day. I also like having the heavy days at the start of the week and lighter days closer to the week end.

My strength feels good, I’m ready to go and handle heavier weights.

My hips are getting pretty tight from squatting twice a week hence I have decided to go back to a 1 lift/day frequency. This means the OHP comes back as a main lift which I am pretty excited about. I will also be squatting and deadlifting heavy each week instead of alternating.

I was thinking of trying an RPE based program but this is too much messing around. Let’s keep it simple.

I bought one of Josh Bryant’s book a few months ago and I’m going to give the program in there a try. Each lift has its own day, main lifts and then doing pump work for the associated muscles.

I have also bought his book on the bench press which is a great read. I have been doing all my work sets in a CAT fashion, basically trying to accelerate the weight at all time on the concentric. Actively thinking about this makes quite a difference compared to “lifting fast” as for me I tended to just rebound more, but this is incorrect.

There is a good bit of bodyweight movements included in the program which can only be good for me as I am trying to stay “athletic” meaning being able to move well and handle my bodyweight.

I will be testing my maxes after three cycles of this as adviced in the book. I’m looking forward to it! I’m taking a deload week next week before starting though.

3 Likes

Deload
So I ran my 10k and did 50:20, pretty happy about this given the non existent training. My calves have been very sore and tight since then but this was expected, the hills didn’t help. Squat deload to get the blood flowing and get rid of the soreness

Squat
2x5x100kg

45 Bodyweight squat, 1 min rest
35 lunges
30s rest
35 lunges

Crazy leg pump

Plank 3x1min, easier than I would have thought, tired legs make it tough though

3 Likes