T Nation

Hydrolyzed Casein Studies

Does anyone know where I might find literature regarding Hydrolyzed Casein? I've been searching and have not found much via pubmed.

Sure here you go:

2000 study:

Effect of a Hypocaloric Diet, Increased Protein Intake and Resistance Training on Lean Mass Gains and Fat Mass Loss in Overweight Police Officers.

^ this one is really the only study that favors CHY (casein hydrolysate). Those taking CHY, instead of WHY or nothing, have improved body composition and better increases in strength.

2004 study:

Gastric emptying, gastric secretion and enterogastrone response after administration of milk proteins or their peptide hydrolysates in humans.

^ this one basically shows that there is a difference in only 5 minutes of digestion between casein/whey and their respective hydrolysates.

2008 study:

Plasma amino acid response after ingestion of different whey protein fractions.

^ this one actually shows that whey protein isolate (WPI) raised blood amino acids faster than CHY.

2009 study:

Deglaire et al. Hydrolyzed dietary casein as compared with the intact protein reduces postprandial peripheral, but not whole-body, uptake of nitrogen in humans. Am J Clin Nutr. (2009) 90(4):1011-22.

^ this one says that CHY's fast digestion leads to greater digestive losses, more oxidation by deamination, and basically less amino acids for skeletal muscle. This supports that intact protein are actually superior to CHY.

How did you locate these studies? I've not found any hint of CHY studies on Pubmed, other than 1 measly study.

random forums. if you are searching just 'casein hydrolysate' in the search box at pubmed it may not show up as CHY may not be in the title.

I'm going to keep looking and see what I can find. I'd imagine there is literature being produced, or at least soon to be published as this has become a prominent ergogenic aid in the last couple of years. Thanks PB Andy.