Hydrocortisone Works!

Just wanted to mention how happy I am with the effectiveness of hydrocortisone on adrenal fatigue. I had been to the point of almost giving up on lifting all together until I started taking HC three days ago.

I was extremely dizzy after every set, out of breath, tired and felt sick after every workout. Some days I would go into the gym and leave after 15 minutes because it was pointless. I got my labs back and they confirmed my suspicions of AF and was prescribed 10mg in the morning and another 5-10mg in the afternoon, depending on how I feel. What a difference. I was skeptical because I am the classic non-responder when it comes to just about everything, but my last three workouts have been the best I have had in about two years.

Anyone know about dosing for sea salt and Vitamin C? I have read that both are good supplements for AF but don’t know what a good starting dose would be. Sea salt - can I just use the stuff I have in the cupboard and add it to my post-workout drink?

Thanks

You can give that to anyone and they can feel like superman. Too much can aslo allow you to exhaust your body by depleting your “reserves”. -transient-

You can really hurt yourself by taking too much!!!

You can really hurt yourself by taking too much!!!

You can really hurt yourself by taking too much!!!

Note the link to other steroid hormones:

Keep reading :wink:

Thanks for the links KSMan. Looks like I have some reading to do. I just wonder if the good that the lower dose that I am taking outweighs the risks. I have read where many doctors will prescribe much, much higher amounts for people than what I’ve been prescribed. Something I will ask my doc after I do a little more reading I guess.

Believe me, I feel far from superman. I actually didn’t think it was doing a thing for me until I realized it completely got rid of my symptoms while I was working out. Otherwise, I don’t feel much at all.

A 20mg daily dose is pretty standard for guys/gals with adrenal fatigue. Higher doses are sometimes given, but after the adrenals are “working” again, the dosage needs to be brought back down via tapering. The human body won’t complain too much if a 20mg dosage is stopped for any reason, but if the dosage is larger and stopped, talk about a “tailspin”.

You say otherwise you don’t “feel much at all”; I wonder did you ever want to sleep in the middle of day, and now you don’t?

[quote]KNB wrote:
A 20mg daily dose is pretty standard for guys/gals with adrenal fatigue. Higher doses are sometimes given, but after the adrenals are “working” again, the dosage needs to be brought back down via tapering. The human body won’t complain too much if a 20mg dosage is stopped for any reason, but if the dosage is larger and stopped, talk about a “tailspin”.

You say otherwise you don’t “feel much at all”; I wonder did you ever want to sleep in the middle of day, and now you don’t?

[/quote]

I always felt the need to sleep pretty much all day long. I still feel the same way now, maybe slightly less. The difference in the gym has been huge though. My T levels are absolutely pathetic (18, range 45-85) and that is something that I am working on at the same time, so I am sure that has something to do with lethargy as well as being borderline hypothyroid.

You mention tapering off. I was hoping that after my current Rx is gone in 2 months that I will be able to taper off. In your opinion, is this enough time for the adrenals to recover? What sort of taper would you recommend?

Thanks

[quote]Caged wrote:
KNB wrote:
A 20mg daily dose is pretty standard for guys/gals with adrenal fatigue. Higher doses are sometimes given, but after the adrenals are “working” again, the dosage needs to be brought back down via tapering. The human body won’t complain too much if a 20mg dosage is stopped for any reason, but if the dosage is larger and stopped, talk about a “tailspin”.

You say otherwise you don’t “feel much at all”; I wonder did you ever want to sleep in the middle of day, and now you don’t?

I always felt the need to sleep pretty much all day long. I still feel the same way now, maybe slightly less. The difference in the gym has been huge though. My T levels are absolutely pathetic (18, range 45-85) and that is something that I am working on at the same time, so I am sure that has something to do with lethargy as well as being borderline hypothyroid.

You mention tapering off. I was hoping that after my current Rx is gone in 2 months that I will be able to taper off. In your opinion, is this enough time for the adrenals to recover? What sort of taper would you recommend?

Thanks[/quote]

I have every confidence that nothing I say here will be believed. But for your safety I have to offer something.

First, by what test were you found to have “adrenal fatigue?” Feeling bad and getting better on HC is NOT proof of anything.

Second, shouldn’t the responsible MD who prescribed the HC also prescribe the method of tapering it?

Any dose of HC above 15 to 20 mg per day, over time, is suppressive since it ablates the daily variation of ACTH secretion by the pituitary. My method of withdrawal is to lower the dose on alternate days, dropping every two weeks or so. Afternoon doses of HC are more suppressive than morning doses, so I taper the afternoon doses first.

This is important stuff. Dick around with the adrenals and they can be very unforgiving. Unless you have proven adrenal insufficiency, stop dicking around.

[quote]DrSkeptix wrote:
Caged wrote:
KNB wrote:
A 20mg daily dose is pretty standard for guys/gals with adrenal fatigue. Higher doses are sometimes given, but after the adrenals are “working” again, the dosage needs to be brought back down via tapering. The human body won’t complain too much if a 20mg dosage is stopped for any reason, but if the dosage is larger and stopped, talk about a “tailspin”.

You say otherwise you don’t “feel much at all”; I wonder did you ever want to sleep in the middle of day, and now you don’t?

I always felt the need to sleep pretty much all day long. I still feel the same way now, maybe slightly less. The difference in the gym has been huge though. My T levels are absolutely pathetic (18, range 45-85) and that is something that I am working on at the same time, so I am sure that has something to do with lethargy as well as being borderline hypothyroid.

You mention tapering off. I was hoping that after my current Rx is gone in 2 months that I will be able to taper off. In your opinion, is this enough time for the adrenals to recover? What sort of taper would you recommend?

Thanks

I have every confidence that nothing I say here will be believed. But for your safety I have to offer something.

First, by what test were you found to have “adrenal fatigue?” Feeling bad and getting better on HC is NOT proof of anything.

Second, shouldn’t the responsible MD who prescribed the HC also prescribe the method of tapering it?

Any dose of HC above 15 to 20 mg per day, over time, is suppressive since it ablates the daily variation of ACTH secretion by the pituitary. My method of withdrawal is to lower the dose on alternate days, dropping every two weeks or so. Afternoon doses of HC are more suppressive than morning doses, so I taper the afternoon doses first.

This is important stuff. Dick around with the adrenals and they can be very unforgiving. Unless you have proven adrenal insufficiency, stop dicking around.

[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up Dr. Skeptix. I have no reason not to believe what you say and I appreciate the concern for my health. The prescription was based off a diagnosis by Dr. Crisler from recent labs that I had done as well as matching symptoms.

I know that the topic of adrenal fatigue and even the issue of whether or not it exists is debatable, but with the way I am feeling and the low dose/short time frame I will be using it, I made the decision to give it a try. I have read that other doctors, like Dr. Serrano, prescribe 60+mg daily without reported health issues coming off. I feel pretty comfortable with 15-20 per day, but would like to talk more to my doc about it.

I am sure that Dr. Crisler has his own ideas of how to taper off the HC and he will share them with me on our next appointment in a couple of weeks.

People can argue all day about tapering off of T, but definitely taper off of HC. If your adrenal glands and pituitary down-regulate because they think no cortisol is necessary, you could die. Seriously.

Fortunately you are under the care of Dr. Crisler, so do exactly what he tells you to do. He knows his stuff.