Hydration: Unquenchable Thirst

I understand the paramount importance of getting an adequate supply of water whether you are a BB or not, however I sometimes feel very very thirsty and dry and no matter how much I drink I still feel as though I need more.

This isnt diabetes or anything as I have had that checked out recently its just a thirst that seems very had to quench. Would adding something to the water help? Like for instance a little salt and sugar?

I noticed this too and I realized I was drinking distilled water. Try drinking spring water or water with minerals in it, this helped me. Don’t add sugar.

Thanks Chris.
Yeah I must admit along with the fresh water I consume I do tend to drink a lot of mineral waters etc, even quite a few diet sodas when the weather is hot. For the foreseeable future I will only entertain water free of minerals and carbonates and see if this has an effect. Horrible feeling being constantly thirsty.

[quote]steven alex wrote:
Thanks Chris.
Yeah I must admit along with the fresh water I consume I do tend to drink a lot of mineral waters etc, even quite a few diet sodas when the weather is hot. For the foreseeable future I will only entertain water free of minerals and carbonates and see if this has an effect. Horrible feeling being constantly thirsty.[/quote]

Did I read that right? You would WANT to drink water with minerals/electrolytes in it. I was drinking distilled water which was washing away these minerals making it harder for my body to hold water.

If you are getting in around half your body weight in ounces of water you should be fine. In the morning and during workouts are the key times to get/stay hydrated. I drink about 34 ounces of water (with carbs and aminos) during my workout and I always chug a big glass when I first get up.

Start carrying a water bottle around and monitor how much you are actually drinking. It may just be much less than you think.

[quote]chriscarani wrote:
Start carrying a water bottle around and monitor how much you are actually drinking. It may just be much less than you think.

[/quote]

I agree. This is the kind of post that makes you want to help the kid out. OP: Seriously, log your fluid intake. Everything - water, gatorade, soda. I am genuinely curious to see if there’s something other than (“I drink a lot, i.e., two cups of coffee a day”) going on here.

I’ve had this problem. It actually subsides if I eat and drink, but if i drink to much without food i wash away all my spit and stay thirsty.

At the height of training I’ll drink 3 gallons per day, and haven’t yet suffered any ill-effects, despite some people’s predictions to the contrary. Is it really bad for you? I eat a lot of salt, so I figure I’m just flushing it out.

[quote]Alex630 wrote:
At the height of training I’ll drink 3 gallons per day, and haven’t yet suffered any ill-effects, despite some people’s predictions to the contrary. Is it really bad for you? I eat a lot of salt, so I figure I’m just flushing it out. [/quote]

Wow man. Three gallons sounds a bit excessive (even if you are on gear). There was a lady who just died of water poisoning several months back. She drank an entire gallon of water in 1 hour

It’s not uncommon to hear about people having heart attacks related to magnesium deficiency, and there is some speculation drinking large amounts water void of this mineral is contributing to it (the purified bottled water craze).

Now I am not saying you are going to drop dead, it hasn’t happen yet, but besides any UN-likely health problems you will have, there is no need to drink that much. Half your bodyweight in ounces and that you get from foods, should be adequate. If you feel you need more start from there and increase it.

[quote]Alex630 wrote:
At the height of training I’ll drink 3 gallons per day, and haven’t yet suffered any ill-effects, despite some people’s predictions to the contrary. Is it really bad for you? I eat a lot of salt, so I figure I’m just flushing it out. [/quote]

I wouldn’t try to force it down if your body doesn’t want it, but I don’t see anything wrong with drinking a lot of water if you want or need it.

[quote]steven alex wrote:
I understand the paramount importance of getting an adequate supply of water whether you are a BB or not, however I sometimes feel very very thirsty and dry and no matter how much I drink I still feel as though I need more.

This isnt diabetes or anything as I have had that checked out recently its just a thirst that seems very had to quench. Would adding something to the water help? Like for instance a little salt and sugar?[/quote]

How much sodium are you consuming? You should get around 3-4 grams per day.

[quote]coloradosteve wrote:
How much sodium are you consuming? You should get around 3-4 grams per day.[/quote]

Potassium is key as well and usually lacking in the typical western diet. Orange juice is an excellent source.

3 gallons is my max. It is often between 2 and 3. I’m just constantly thirsty. I drink tap water, as it tastes just fine here (glacial runoff, not ground water), so I probably get a lot of minerals.

I agree. This is the kind of post that makes you want to help the kid out. OP: Seriously, log your fluid intake. Everything - water, gatorade, soda. I am genuinely curious to see if there’s something other than (“I drink a lot, i.e., two cups of coffee a day”) going on here.[/quote]

LOL I do try to consume perhaps more water than you are giving me credit for. I carry a two litre bottle around with me at work that I try to top up atleast three times and then again at home.

My soda and other drinks ( Including coffee ) is on top of the water I consume. Would drinking soda and coffee leave me needing more water? As for sodium and magnesium I really havent factored that into the equation at all other to say that on the whole my diet is quite good and varied.

Cottage cheese has quite a fair bit of sodium doesnt it? And Gatorade ( drank occasionally ) has it too I think. Thanks for all your great replies.

Do you have a garden hose? If you do you should try putting the end of it in your mouth and turning it on full blast. You can turn it off when your not thirsty anymore. Post a video.

[quote]rander wrote:
Do you have a garden hose? If you do you should try putting the end of it in your mouth and turning it on full blast. You can turn it off when your not thirsty anymore. Post a video.[/quote]

Wanker

Diuretics?

[quote]vroom wrote:
Diuretics?[/quote]

That would do it, but this doesn’t sound like the type of guy who is down that road… I don’t think, could be wrong. I agree with C-Law here. Finding out how much he’s actually drinking is the first step. If it turns out he’s actually getting enough then it could be other things.

The first thing that came to mind was high blood glucose levels, but he says no. Maybe a lot of creatine?