T Nation

Hydration For Training

Alright, basically I don’t like drinking any sort of fluids during workouts. It literally makes me feel sick, an if its Leg day well there’s a good chance I’ll be running to the closest bin to see my lunch for the second time that day.

I know its bad not to drink while working out, but I drink a shitload of water before and after training and it feels fine to me.

I’m just wondering if there are any other people that don’t like drinking anything during their workouts or if anybody has got some ideas how to get around this?

Cheers
bams

If your workouts aren’t suffering then don’t worry about it.

[quote]bams_101 wrote:

I drink a shitload of water before and after training and it feels fine to me.

[/quote]

Have you tried Drinking less in one hit? all that water sloshing around cant be comfortable.

You dont have to down liters of water during your workout. just take sips.

The impact it will have on your performance is minimal assuming your workouts are not marathon sessions and you are decently hydrated before.

If it’s not hurting your training then you’re fine I’d say. But I get terribly thirsty even from weight training. Odd

It should be fine to not drink during, as long as you’re hydrated before and you put back in what you’ve lost during the workout. A lot of professional sportsmen weigh before and after their workouts and then rehydrate by drinking water up to the “before” weight. It’s a pretty convoluted idea in my opinion but if you’re concerned about your hydration then it’s worth a shot.

I need to drink because I sweat like a motherfucker. Especially on back and leg work.

milimber: Yeah, Ive tried not drinking before and taking small sips through the WO, but it still has the same effect.

Nards: Yeah and thats sort of the problem as well. I see heaps of other dudes chuggin down water and I cant do the same, wondering whether it’s affecting my WO in any way.

RTJenforcer: I usually down a Gatorade bottle of water before WO and usually a 1.25L ont the way home (it’s a long drive and sorry bout the metric =D ). I have weighed myself pre and post WO like you said before lol, and have replenished accordingly but it didnt make that much of a difference to just drinking the a big bottle.

Iron Dwarf: See on back and leg work I sweat a bit too, especially seeing how it’s starting to warm up down here in OZ, but I duno why it just feels real weird

Thanks for all the responses guys, much appreciated

bams

FOSTERS!

[quote]dankid wrote:
FOSTERS![/quote]

lo. Nobody in Australia drinks fosters. We only export our worst beer.

[quote]milimber wrote:
dankid wrote:
FOSTERS!

lo. Nobody in Australia drinks fosters. We only export our worst beer.
[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA! So true milimber =)

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I need to drink because I sweat like a motherfucker. Especially on back and leg work.[/quote]

x2

I can’t imagine training hard and not wanting or being able to drink.

I probably drink a little between each set.

To the OP: Are you training all out or just going through the motions?

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Iron Dwarf wrote:
I need to drink because I sweat like a motherfucker. Especially on back and leg work.

x2

I can’t imagine training hard and not wanting or being able to drink.

I probably drink a little between each set.

To the OP: Are you training all out or just going through the motions?[/quote]

I’d like to think I’m training fairly hard man. I’m not the strongest or biggest guy, but I try to push it with every workout…and it seems to be doing good. Squat is getting up, Deads are getting up and Bench…well Bench is pretty pathetic but that’s a story for another thread.

Yeah I do sweat a bit; as I’ve said already its getting to summer now here in Australia, but I dont really feel dehydrated or thirsty at all during my workouts so I’m going to keep with my current strategy until performance is hampered if that ever happens.

bams

[quote]Nards wrote:
If it’s not hurting your training then you’re fine I’d say. But I get terribly thirsty even from weight training. Odd[/quote]

Eh! I sweat more on leg day just from squats than I do in an entire chest and bicep day, I end up drier than a camels ass. I probably drink 2-3 liters of water during workout on leg day. Thats 2-3 of my bottles.