Hybrid/Efficient Vehicle?

I just bought a new Toyota Prius, Show me a single vehicle (4 wheel vehicle) that gets 48.4 mpg (my reading today):).

Even the Mini cooper gets 40 mpg per the window sticker, which probably is 37-38 mpg real world.

And the performance is not as bad as those would have you think, I have to slow down from 70mph quite a few times, this car has the best drag coeffiency as any new car on the road today.

[quote]Mr.Bill wrote:
I just bought a new Toyota Prius, Show me a single vehicle (4 wheel vehicle) that gets 48.4 mpg (my reading today):).

Even the Mini cooper gets 40 mpg per the window sticker, which probably is 37-38 mpg real world.

And the performance is not as bad as those would have you think, I have to slow down from 70mph quite a few times, this car has the best drag coeffiency as any new car on the road today.[/quote]

Interesting. Yeah I appreciate all the input but I’m not hung up on depreciation. I have a 85 mile commute ONE WAY. I’m looking for good mileage. I can by the car outright so interest isn’t an issue.

I will test drive some hybrids and their ‘regular’ counter parts, the jetta diesel and the cooper and see what’s up.

[quote]Scrappy wrote:
Interesting. Yeah I appreciate all the input but I’m not hung up on depreciation. I have a 85 mile commute ONE WAY. I’m looking for good mileage. I can by the car outright so interest isn’t an issue.[/quote]

85miles x 1.6(roughly) = 135KM!!!

What the hell? Do you even have any free time? Assuming you got a 9-5 job you’re spending 2.5-4 hours (and higher depending on traffic congestion) per day just driving to work.

[quote]Phileaux wrote:
In July of last year I bought a Civic EX Sedan w/manual after test driving a Prius(wife insisted). The ride and performance of the Civic was worlds better. After 15k I’m getting 31city/41hwy. On the highway I go anywhere between 5-15mph over the limit. It’s a good ride for it’s size. Nice stereo, good seats, lots of storage and the rear seats fold down (moved an eight foot ladder, trunk lid to front windshield).

In an article from Consumer Reports they stated that a hybrid(Prius) would have to be driven 144k miles to justify the cost of the hybrid option vs. non-hybrid Camry. That being said, the Asian manufactures are in the process of allowing a plug-in option on the hybrids.

This will allow you to run on the battery for the first 75miles. The battery argument isn’t as black and white as people think. The hybrid battery, ANY BATTERY, just doesn’t just go out. It slowly looses it ability to hold a charge. In five years you might loose 50-75 miles.
I say: small,foreign, and used. Keep us posted.
Phileaux
[/quote]

wow, that’s even better than mine. I drive a 95 honda civic that gets 33 mpg

The other thing to look at, is a SMART car. They get great mileage, though you do have limited space, to the point where it is only good for driving to work and back. They handle beautifully for the small size and have lots of space. I have a friend who owns one and is 6’6 and does not feel cramped in one. Though I do remember reading somewhere that they aren’t available in the states.

not sure if you have them there

but a mk4/5 vw golf or passat TDI will get 60mpg at a constant 75mph

[quote]legend wrote:

but a mk4/5 vw golf or passat TDI will get 60mpg at a constant 75mph [/quote]

I second this choice. Hybreds get their best milage in stop and go traffic/city driving. On the highway non-stop their milage drops considerably. These smaller deisels do the best on the highway. You’ll get the inital cost savings when you make the purchase (hybred vs. diesel) and you’ll fair better milage wise during the long commute.

[quote]Khronos wrote:
legend wrote:

I second this choice. Hybreds get their best milage in stop and go traffic/city driving. On the highway non-stop their milage drops considerably. These smaller deisels do the best on the highway. You’ll get the inital cost savings when you make the purchase (hybred vs. diesel) and you’ll fair better milage wise during the long commute. [/quote]

So what’s the downside to diesel then? If it gets better gas mileage how come EVERY car doesnt run on diesel

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
So what’s the downside to diesel then? If it gets better gas mileage how come EVERY car doesnt run on diesel[/quote]

Older diesel engines were loud and had really narrow power bands (meaning you had to have many more gear ratios in your transmission). These problems have been greatly reduced by turbos and electronic fuel injectors.

In America diesels have reputation problems too. This is changing now, but American diesel fuel has had a history of high sulfur content, which leads to emissions problems and can cause foul-smelling exhaust. Most of the diesel engines American car manufacturers have tried to sell have been weak and unreliable to boot.

Most new cars sold in Europe are diesels, but diesels in America are held back by a bad reputation and by a lack of gas stations that sell diesel fuel.

[quote]Khronos wrote:
legend wrote:

I second this choice. Hybreds get their best milage in stop and go traffic/city driving. On the highway non-stop their milage drops considerably. These smaller deisels do the best on the highway. You’ll get the inital cost savings when you make the purchase (hybred vs. diesel) and you’ll fair better milage wise during the long commute. [/quote]

Excellent point about stop and go vs highway drving.

Thanks again. Yeah after considering my drive, a long highway drive, I’m either getting a good mileage gas car or a diesel if I can find a good one. The hybrid isn’t justified especially when you consider the mileage drops on long trips.

To the other poster, yeah I have almost no free time. My situation right now kind of sucks. I am basically training bjj 2x/week and anything on top of that is bonus. My diet and workout has suffered big time. But this will last a max of a year or 2 and it will pay off in other ways.

the new audi a5 diesel hits 60 mph in 5.5 and gets 45mpg… can’t go wrong really

I just did the math on your situation. 85 miles one way, 850 miles a week, at 65mph that’s 13hrs driving, at 40mpg and $3 a gallon that’s $63.75 a week $3,315 a year. Don’t know how much the “new” car payments will be but wouldn’t it be more economical/time efficient to move closer to work? Even if you had to use the Metro/Subway at least you could read the paper.
Phileaux

Moving closer isn’t an option. My wife works on the upper east side of NYC and I work near Philly. We live ‘in the middle’ (she’s a bit closer to work than me of course but what can you do?)

There’s really no good train route from where I am to where I need to go. It would be great. I get up early and without traffic I can drive fast so I get there in 1:20 usually.

Occasionally I hit traffic that puts the ride up to 2hrs but it’s rare. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. She will be done with her residency in 2 years. The longest this would last is 2 years.

I work in pharmaceutical research and the place I’m at now is a good deal. Not many better offers out there right now. Though I do get about a call a month from different places, none of them are right for me.
Anyway, I’ll check out that Audi.

Great…now your going to create smug. I bet you also like the smell of your own farts.

My wife’s Jetta TDI gets 48 miles to the gallon with plenty of power. Try that with a Hybred.