HustlingHat93's Road to 123lb and Weak to Strong

feel better soon.

1 Like

Thanks mate.

Ok so last post was a tad premature. Was going crazy at home so decided to go for a walk and see how busy the gym was… It was empty

Deload day 2

Squat : 55kg/121lb x 5 , 67.5kg/149lb x5, 82.5kg/182lb x 5

Sumo Deadlift: 52.5kg/116lbs, 65kg/143 lb x 5 and 77.5kg/171lb x 5

Inc Bench: 25kg/55lb x5, 30kg/66lb x5, 35kg/77lb x5

3x Incline Db Press
5x Bent over rows
3x Weighted pull ups ( 5kg/11lb lighter than usual)

Weirdly felt better after this (for a while) and my squats felt very smooth technically.

1 Like

Deadlifts 3 waves Accumulation week

6x3 and 1x7 with 115kg/253lbs

Deficit Deadlifts

5x 80kg/ 176lb
5x 92.5kg/ 204lb
5x 105kg/ 231lb

3x Good mornings
12x Rows
3x Seated low cable rows

I also decided to move Pause squats to my squat day and replace the pin press with Safety Squat Bar squats which i did today. I did a few sets just to see how they feel and damn did they feel weird. Hoping this has more of a carry over to general strength than pin press singles.

Overall felt very good today considering I’ve been ill and still not 100%. Could have managed a few more reps on the MR set but for a technical error I did on the last rep (and also leaving a few reps in the tank as the program says). Weirdly woke up SUPER heavy at 133lbs but I wont over think that and will let my body regulate itself.

1 Like

Bench 3 Waves Accumulation week

Bench Press: 6x3 and 1x9 with 57.5kg/ 127lbs (suppersetted with bent over kettlebell rows)

Close grip bench: 5x 40kg/88lbs, 5x 45kg/99lbs, 5x 50kg/110 and 2x 60kg/132lbs

5x Weighted pull ups
4x6 Incline DB Press supersetted with seated low cable pulls
3x seated shoulder press
Arms ( Curls, extensions etc)

Again Bench day felt decent. I decided to programme my Close Grip bench with 5/3/1 like I do with most other accessory work but don’t have an accurate 1rm so went off 60kg/132lb but getting it for a (easy) double at the end means thats off. No matter I will get this dialled in by next cycle

1 Like

Hey man, just getting caught up on your journal. Have you taken the time to scroll back up and look at what weights you used to use compare to how? Hella good progress man!!

1 Like

Thanks man. Appreciate it

Weirdly really excited to get back to the 10s wave to have a direct comparison but part of me is still comparing myself to pre-covid me and how the numbers I was hitting 18 months ago were better.

Squat 3 waves Accumulation week

Squats: 6x3 and 1x7 with 105kg/ 231lb

Pause squats 3x5 (7 second pause) with 70kg/ 154lb

I did 10 sets of rows supersetted with the above

Sumo Deadlifts 5x 90kg/198lb , 5x 102.5kg/ 226lb and 5x115kg/253lb ( supersetted with seated low cable rows)

So today was ROUGH ROUGH. I suddenly remembered why I did pause squats on deadlift day and not squat day. The last set of Sumo deadlifts was harder than I would like it but my hips were fried from the squats so not too worried.

Also only did 1 hour of jiu jitsu this evening and skipped Kickboxing. Feel like that hour would be better as extra rest in the long run then adding extra fatigue on such a hard day.

1 Like

Incline Bench (instead of Military Press) 3 waves accumulation week

6x3 + 1x8 with 45 kg/99lb (supersetted with Kettlebell Rows)

Paused Bench: 45kg/94lbs, 55kg/ 121lb and 60kg/132lb all for 5 reps

4x DB rows
5x Weighted pull ups
4x DB Bench Press
4x Seated Shoulder DB press

Also at the end of the workout I (stupidly) went for a MR set on bench with body weight/ as close as I can get weight wise and only got 7

1 Like

Deadlifts 3 waves Intensification week

Deadlifts: The warm up sets and 4x3 and 1x7 with 125kg/275lbs

Deficit Deadlifts

3x 85kg/ 187lbs
3x 97.5kg/ 215lbs
3x 110kg/ 242lbs

Safety Squat Bar Squats
75kg/165lbs x3
85kg/187lbs x3
95kg/ 209lbs x2
105kg/231lbs x1

3x Good mornings (SSB)
3x Heavy RDL
12x Rows (done as a superset with the squats and good mornings)
3x Seated low cable rows
3x Back extensions with 20kg/44lbs kettlebells and rows at the top

Thoughts

-Today was a killer. I actually went back home, ate and napped.
-The MR set felt good. Happy to get the same reps as last week with 10kg/22lb more. Really less intimated about the MR set next week after today.
-The SSB bar for good mornings is a complete game changer for me. I feel the tension much more in my hamstrings and also feel it working my T-spine trying to keep the handles at the same angle and not letting my upper back round.

• Also starting to see some arm gains (certainly my left bicep) and getting compliments which is always nice!
1 Like

Bench 3 Waves Intensification week

Bench Press: 4x3 and 1x6 with 65kg/ 143lbs (suppersetted with bent over kettlebell rows)

Close grip bench: 3x45kg/99lbs, 3x 50kg/110 , 5x55kg/121lbs

5x Weighted pull ups
3x seated shoulder press

Another day, another workout. Nothing special just work.

After tomorrow’s squat session I’ll plan ahead and pick goals for next weeks MR sets for the big 3 lifts

1 Like

This is the secret.

2 Likes

Yup the secret to success is in the boring consistent effort

1 Like

Squat 3 waves Intensification week

Squats: The prescribed warm up sets and 4x3 and 1x4 with 105kg/ 253lbs (VERY DISAPOINTED)

Pause squats 3x4 (5 second pause) with 85kg/ 187lb

Sumo Deadlifts 3x 100kg/220lb , 3x110kg/ 242lb and 3x122.5kg/270lb

Notes

• Today was very very rough. Which makes this the 2nd squat day in a row where i’ve struggled No idea if it’s the training max being too high so the weight being challenging or if it is a fatigue issue after Deadlifts and Bench.
  • Also have a niggle/ potential injury in my left knee. I have discomfort sometimes (when squatting occasionally or when i’m getting up from sitting on the floor/ lying down) on the outside of the knee.

Goals for MR sets next week

Deadlift: 137.5kg/ 303 lbs x6
Bench: 70kg/ 154 lbs x5
Squat: 125kg/ 275lbs x5 ( To be honest anything above 3 I will be happy with)

1 Like

Incline Bench (instead of Military Press) 3 waves intensification week

4x3 + 1x5 with 50 kg/110lb (supersetted with Kettlebell Rows)

Paused Bench: 50kg/110lbs, 55kg/ 121lb and 62.5kg/138lb all for 3 reps

4x DB rows
5x Weighted pull ups
4x DB Bench Press
4x Seated Shoulder DB press

Decent workout. On another note i’m skipping MMA practice today because of:

• My Knee being weird
  • Extra work stress ( trying to close a deal worth £15k ish/ $20k ish to me in commission and that amount coming in every 2 months for 5 years) which is taking it’s toll on me and I just feel like for today I already have enough stress that I won’t recover from
1 Like

Just a quick update no training today ( at all) and likely to take tomorow and Saturday off to be fresh to start the 90% MR week ON Sunday.

Reasons are because of my left knee mostly ( I mean jumps and kicking + potential knee locks aren’t the best idea) and the 2 sessions left this week are Plyo days which to be honest are not programmed properly. So I’ll use the extra rest time to think of a way to actually train explosiveness instead of testing it and doing the same things

1 Like

Deadlifts 3 waves Realization week

Deadlifts: The warm up sets 1x6 with 137.5kg/303bs

Deficit Deadlifts

5x 92.55kg/ 204lbs
3x 105kg/ 231lbs
1x 117.5kg/ 259lbs

Safety Squat Bar Squats
75kg/165lbs x3
85kg/187lbs x3
95kg/ 209lbs x2
105kg/231lbs x1

3x Good mornings (SSB)
3x Heavy RDL
12x Rows (done as a superset with the squats and good mornings)
3x Seated low cable rows

Today was a good day. Having the goal of 6 reps really helped because warming up I was feeling kinda intimated by the weight so I think without the goal I wouldn’t have gotten 6 reps.

VERY unsure about how to approach the next cycle because I feel like this added 15lb puts my 1RM as really unrealistic so I might have to fo a 1rm test before restarting the programme

1 Like

Bench 3 Waves Intensification week

Bench Press: The warm up sets and 1x4 with 70kg/ 154lbs (suppersetted with bent over kettlebell rows)

Close grip bench: 5x 5kg/99lbs, 3x 50kg/110 and 1x 60kg/132lbs

5x Weighted pull ups
3x seated shoulder press

Bloody disappointed with today. Missed the goal of 5 reps only got 4. The 4th was a real grinder (moved slow and uneven with the left side moving first after the sticking point) and I didnt go for the 5th rep. I should have went for it and worse case would have pissed it and rolled it off me.

The increase in 1.25lb to the 1rm is practically worthless it’s not a realistic number with the plates etc. But I do think my real 1rm is either 77.5kg/ 171 lbs (which is what my training max is at the moment) or 80kg/176lbs which is what 5 reps would have put me in so accurate result I guess.

1 Like

Squat 3 waves Realisation week

Squats: The prescribed warm up sets and 1x4 with 125kg/ 275lbs

Pause squats 3x3 (3 second pause) with 100kg/ 220lb

Sumo Deadlifts 5x 102.5kg/226lb , 3x115kg/ 253lb and x125kg/275lb (Misread my numbers and this was not suppose to be hit) and 130kg/287lbs x1

So today was a good day. Probably the best I’ve felt on a squat day (technique wise) all 3s wave. Happy with the 4 reps despite the last one being a real slow grinder. Would have loved a 5th but considering last week 4 reps with 10kg/22lb less felt rough I will defintely take today as a win.

Will do a proper sum up of the program at end of week despite not having accurate before strength numbers.

Also unsure of what to do next cycle. Definitely feel the programme is working and now I know how to make it more tailor made to me with accessory work but the lower body 1rms ( upper I feel are realistic) are UNREALISTIC imo.

Unsure if I should

1. Test my maxes and use those for my next wave
  2. Use a calculator going from this weeks weight and reps for an estimated 1rm
  3. Use the 1rm number I have now (with weight added as per programme based on excess reps this week)
  4. Use the 1rm for this cycle and don’t add the weight (still feel they are higher than what I can actually lift )

Any input would be great and useful!

1 Like

pick one and go. you can’t go wrong.

I do admit I over think a lot so you may just be right.

Just don’t want to end up in a cycle where I either end up failing the reps because they are too heavy or not pushing myself enough.

Regardless Sunday is when the next cycle (if I don’t deload) starts so one will be chosen!

1 Like