Husafell Stone

I’ve had several people ask me about the stone I’m holding in my avatar pic, so I’m posting this link to an article I wrote about it. Its a homemade stone and it only ran me about $20.00 to make. I call it my “mini-husafell,” as it is only half the weight of the real Husafell stone.

Training with it is quite simple:

1. Pick up the stone.
  2. Walk as far as you can with it.
  3. Drop the stone.
  4. Try to avoid passing out.
  5. Repeat several times.

This is some of the most hard-core training you can do. If you’ve done it, you know what I’m talking about. If you have never done it, you’re missing out on the manliest form of training in existence (IMHO). The best way I can describe the experience is pure misery. You know how you feel when you’re straining really hard to complete a heavy lift? That only lasts a few seconds because either you lift the weight, or you can’t. Well, carrying the husafell stone is like being caught in that “strain” for 20 or 30 seconds. It is a real test of your mettle!

My only caution to everyone is to ensure you have a good base in deadlifting strength and knowledge before you try to pick up a big-ass stone! Right now, I work out with around 430 lbs on the deadlift, but it is all I can do to get my 200 lb stone off the ground and into position for a walk.

Enough rambling, here is the link:

www.jvstrength.com/makehus.html

Great idea, and great info on the site. Thanks for posting.

This is now my next assignment.

Very innovative. Im impressed.

So a real one is 400lbs? That sucks!

Nice work and I think we can all agree that it is a fine piece of rock you’ve got there.

My wife sent me to the dump to get rid of a tree stump a couple of years ago and I came home with a bunch of big rocks. I use to carry them from one corner of the back yard to the other. When I got all of them (6) to the other side, I’d load them in a wheelbarrow and haul them back to the starting point. Then I’d try to catch my breath for 5 minutes before I’d do it again! Yes, it was tough but a very satisfying work out.

I’ve since moved and haven’t replaced the rocks… Hmmm, maybe I need to take a trip to the dump…

Carry, Load, Repeat!
Fred

That’s a damn good idea, Irish. You have two events in one- a carrying event and the wheelbarrow. Sounds pretty hard core.

Thanks for all the good feedback!

Glad you liked my rock.

JW, the link for your stone instructions is dead. Can you post the instructions on the site please?

LA

[quote]J.W. wrote:
Thanks for all the good feedback!

Glad you liked my rock.[/quote]

Dude, your rock totally rocks. Seriously.