Hurricane Sandy

Could this be a good thing for the US? Maybe a serious of milder natural disasters? It would give 'Mercans the opportunity to turn their focus onto something that has the opportunity to bring them together and give the country a little boost. Lots of money is going to have to be spent, and from the sounds of it, a lot of people could use jobs.

Maybe flooding the NYSE trading floor is a little more important for the fat cats to rebuild. New Orleans didn’t seem to have enough check marks in the right column. Don’t get me wrong, this hurricane is a horrible thing. But, if handled properly it could end up turning out positively.

Dear twits not a very smart idea to even joke about looting during an emergency via twitter really dumb and shows low class thank you the American people

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Shit is rough here in Ohio too.

Cant imagine what its like in the thick of it all.

Hope all is well east coasters

[/quote]

How are things today for you?

Yes, hope everyone else is well also. Thoughts are with you all.

we made it through safe and sound

I laughed when I suddenly realised news broadcasters were more concerned about the political race and the consequences than loss of life, damage to infrastructure and possessions.

Laughed because it took me that long to figure out how pathetic they all are. /palmonface

No problems over here mostly.

[quote]kothreat wrote:
Could this be a good thing for the US? Maybe a serious of milder natural disasters? It would give 'Mercans the opportunity to turn their focus onto something that has the opportunity to bring them together and give the country a little boost. Lots of money is going to have to be spent, and from the sounds of it, a lot of people could use jobs.

Maybe flooding the NYSE trading floor is a little more important for the fat cats to rebuild. New Orleans didn’t seem to have enough check marks in the right column. Don’t get me wrong, this hurricane is a horrible thing. But, if handled properly it could end up turning out positively. [/quote]
No, sorry this is a fallacy causing destruction and devastation is never a good thing, basic economics disputes this.

Made it through, trees still upright (except for an evergreen out front… which is now staked), electricity stayed on, but our CABLE WENT OUT UNTIL AN HOUR AGO!

I was jonesin’ for some T-Nation!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
CABLE WENT OUT UNTIL AN HOUR AGO!

[/quote]

Time to invade the lower hemisphere!

Made it through pretty unharmed, mostly because the storm came in a little farther south than expected, thank you very much for that! The winds were insane crazy though! Haven’t had power since 9:15 last night, but the generator is working great! Even just realized I could run the wifi, computer and tv off of it! And thankfully as well, the expected little one has stayed in his momma’s belly, she is due any day!

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]kothreat wrote:

Maybe flooding the NYSE trading floor is a little more important for the fat cats to rebuild. New Orleans didn’t seem to have enough check marks in the right column. Don’t get me wrong, this hurricane is a horrible thing. But, if handled properly it could end up turning out positively. [/quote]
No, sorry this is a fallacy causing destruction and devastation is never a good thing, basic economics disputes this. [/quote]

Cmon dude…everything that is destructive is profitable. You make money off sick people afterall lol

Then theres war…

[quote]Pitbull78 wrote:
Made it through pretty unharmed, mostly because the storm came in a little farther south than expected, thank you very much for that! The winds were insane crazy though! Haven’t had power since 9:15 last night, but the generator is working great! Even just realized I could run the wifi, computer and tv off of it! And thankfully as well, the expected little one has stayed in his momma’s belly, she is due any day! [/quote]

Well now your kids name must be sandy…

Starts about 18 seconds in.

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:

Starts about 18 seconds in.[/quote]

That was awesome. anyone have any better footage with sound?

[quote]Pitbull78 wrote:
Made it through pretty unharmed, mostly because the storm came in a little farther south than expected, thank you very much for that! The winds were insane crazy though! Haven’t had power since 9:15 last night, but the generator is working great! Even just realized I could run the wifi, computer and tv off of it! And thankfully as well, the expected little one has stayed in his momma’s belly, she is due any day! [/quote]

Well now your kids name must be sandy…[/quote]

LMAO! Absolutely Not! I am sure though that there will be plenty of that…

I was really dreading this storm but central NY got lucky. It wasn’t even as bad as some of the thunderstorms we had this summer… lol.

Hope everybody else is ok though.

I still don’t have power, but uh…on the bright side! Another storm or two and I’ll have river front property!

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]kothreat wrote:

No, sorry this is a fallacy causing destruction and devastation is never a good thing, basic economics disputes this. [/quote]

Cmon dude…everything that is destructive is profitable. You make money off sick people afterall lol

Then theres war…[/quote]

Broken Window Fallacy -

Destruction is never productive/beneficial when looking at the net benefit. Yes, certain people gain, but those gains are offset and then some from the people who lost.

If your car is destroyed is this a good thing for society? If you go and replace that car, the car manufacturer gains by the order of one car. You on the other hand, now just have a car, instead of a car AND the money which you would have, had your car never been destroyed. Society as a whole is poorer by exactly the value of that one car that was destroyed.

Basically you’re only looking at one side of the equation.

Using your sick person example - Yes, doctors make money off sick people, but only looking at that ignores the sick person.

Say you get sick for 1 month and go and see the doctor and pay him some sort of fee to diagnose you. Yes, he has made that fee, but you have lost a month of wages and society is poorer by the amount of productivity that was foregone as a result of you being sick.

[quote]tmay11 wrote:
Using your sick person example - Yes, doctors make money off sick people, but only looking at that ignores the sick person.

Say you get sick for 1 month and go and see the doctor and pay him some sort of fee to diagnose you. Yes, he has made that fee, but you have lost a month of wages and society is poorer by the amount of productivity that was foregone as a result of you being sick. [/quote]

Not if he goes on short term disability. He’d still get 100% of his normal pay.

Plus, most businesses should be able to function just fine for month without one person.