Hurricane Sandy

Hey, what is everyone’s thoughts on the so called ‘super storm’ that is coming? Personally I think there is a high chance it is going to be a joke compared to what they are claiming, but still be pretty damn rough.

Just going off that wannabe hurricane we had last august, I can’t help but have a feeling this is gonna be a joke. However, you never know. I think my skepticism has something to do with the fact that I feel weather reports are never what they say. All the big snow storms turn out to be a few flurries. I guess we’ll find out. According to the forecasts though…Delaware, where I assume you live, and where I work is supposed to get hit hard…

I would tend to say the forecasters are over-reacting if it wasn’t for last summer’s Hurricane Irene and last October’s freak snow storm. Both caused our power to go out for 4 days. A one-to-two day outage is not a big deal, but it gets very old after that.

It’s going to be fucking awesome as I plan to go full on Lt. Dan. I shall use this storm as the biggest and best costume accessory in history.

Side note: I too…am from Delaware. Coincidence? I think not.

thinking of starting a thread about prepardness but I’ll ask here too: Does anyone have bug out bags?

Bug out bags…? Also no it is not coincidence I am secretly here in Delaware to stalk you. Ah, yeah delaware is supposed to get hit hard, some people I know are comparing it to the 62 storm which is a horrible thought…

The wind is starting to pick up and the temp. is dropping.
As far as preparedness goes, nothing drastic…lots of LED battery lights, propane gas grille, tons of canned food, jugs of water. Going to turn the heat up and the frig more cold.

During Irene (no AC) and last October (no heat), it wasn’t the temperature that got to us, but the nasty humidity that sinks into the house after 2 days without power.

Wind is kicking up. I hope my neighbor’s stupid poplar tree blows down into his yard and all those leaves with it.

Absolutely, the trees are the biggest concern where I am.
We’re surrounded by effin 40-50 footers.
At least we not expecting snow, like last years Oct. disaster.

[quote]Sweet Revenge wrote:

At least we not expecting snow, like last years Oct. disaster.[/quote]

Both of these are why I’m not worried. Last years storm should have taken care of all the weak branches and trees with the heavy snow on leafs.

So far I got a day off work out if this.

Otherwise I feel bad for the people in the direct path

why do i always wait before a big storm to try and buy a generator…

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
why do i always wait before a big storm to try and buy a generator…[/quote]

I’m with ya bud. I thought about it 20 times over the summer.
Last October, I got to borrow a neighbors generator since he didn’t lose power and I did.
I going to research and buy one today online…so long as I’m connected of course.
It’s supposed to be a bad winter this year.

probably because you’re a shitty planner…

[quote]polo77j wrote:

probably because you’re a shitty planner…[/quote]

Nah, I’m a good planner. Just a shitty “pull the trigger” kind of guy.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

I always think about getting one, but never do. And it’s not because I’m a shitty planner.
It’s just that I’m always so optimistic that I won’t need it.

:wink:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

I always think about getting one, but never do. And it’s not because I’m a shitty planner.

;)[/quote]

I know I’ll need it, but don’t want to spend $300 and then go through all the hassle to maintain one. That said, the cost will probably easily pay for itself to save some food.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

;)[/quote]

I know I’ll need it, but don’t want to spend $300 and then go through all the hassle to maintain one. That said, the cost will probably easily pay for itself to save some food.
[/quote]

But look at the other side … if you don’t get one and then find yourself in a situation where you need one you’ll be kickin’ yourself … best get one while they’re relatively cheap than need one when they’re relatively priceless

it’s about 82 degrees and sunny here on the left coast.

in case ya’all’re wondering, that is~

[quote]Sweet Revenge wrote:
Absolutely, the trees are the biggest concern where I am.
We’re surrounded by effin 40-50 footers.
At least we not expecting snow, like last years Oct. disaster.[/quote]
Pretty much this. I’ve got two pretty big trees in the backyard that are looking iffy.

I’m in central Nassau County on Long Island and not near any coastlines so flooding isn’t a big issue. The rain isn’t too heavy, just constant, but the wind has really picked up and been almost non-stop for the last hour or so.

Same here.
My neighbor’s Poplar tree is over 70’ tall, and right on the fence between us. This fucking tree drops huge leaves 3 weeks before any other tree in the Fall! I have to rake 3 more weekends than normal.

I’ve nearly begged him for the past 3 years to have it removed (I even offered to pay for half), just so I wouldn’t have to worry about it crashing through my family room one day. All I could do was hire a tree service to come out last spring and cut ALL the branches off that extend over my property.

If it has to come down in the storm, I hope it comes down into his backyard, but the wind is blowing in the direction of my other neighbor’s swimming pool!