Hurricane Quotes

1. “I don’t think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees.” ?President Bush, on “Good Morning America,” Sept. 1, 2005, six days after repeated warnings from experts about the scope of damage expected from Hurricane Katrina (Source)

2. “What I’m hearing which is sort of scary is that they all want to stay in Texas. Everybody is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (chuckle) ? this is working very well for them.” ?Former First Lady Barbara Bush, on the Hurricane flood evacuees in the Houston Astrodome, Sept. 5, 2005 (Source)

3. “It makes no sense to spend billions of dollars to rebuild a city that’s seven feet under sea level…It looks like a lot of that place could be bulldozed.” ?House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.), Aug. Sponsored Links
    70 Day Life Makeover
    Take the Change Your Life Challenge Begin immediately!
    changeyourlifechallenge.com

4. “We’ve got a lot of rebuilding to do … The good news is ? and it’s hard for some to see it now ? that out of this chaos is going to come a fantastic Gulf Coast, like it was before. Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott’s house ? he’s lost his entire house ? there’s going to be a fantastic house. And I’m looking forward to sitting on the porch.” (Laughter) ?President Bush, touring hurricane damage, Mobile, Ala., Sept. 2, 2005 (Source)

5. “Considering the dire circumstances that we have in New Orleans, virtually a city that has been destroyed, things are going relatively well.” ?FEMA Director Michael Brown, Sept. 1, 2005 (Source)

6. “Brownie, you’re doing a heck of a job.” ?President Bush, to FEMA director Michael Brown, while touring Hurricane-ravaged Mississippi, Sept. 2, 2005 (Source)

7. “I have not heard a report of thousands of people in the convention center who don’t have food and water.” ?Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, on NPR’s “All Things Considered,” Sept. 1, 2005 (Source)

8. “Well, I think if you look at what actually happened, I remember on Tuesday morning picking up newspapers and I saw headlines, ‘New Orleans Dodged the Bullet.’ Because if you recall, the storm moved to the east and then continued on and appeared to pass with considerable damage but nothing worse.” ?Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, blaming media coverage for his failings, “Meet the Press,” Sept. 4, 2005 (Source)

9. "I mean, you have people who don’t heed those warnings and then put people at risk as a result of not heeding those warnings. There may be a need to look at tougher penalties on those who decide to ride it out and understand that there are consequences to not leaving.? ?Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA), Sept. 6, 2005 (Source)

10. “You simply get chills every time you see these poor individuals…many of these people, almost all of them that we see are so poor and they are so black, and this is going to raise lots of questions for people who are watching this story unfold.” ?CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, on New Orleans’ hurricane evacuees, Sept. 1, 2005 (Source)

At this point with all of the complaints the left has put up regarding the response in NO I propose that the minority party in congress take over the operation.

Pelosi and Schumer certainly could do a much better job. I am shocked they have not joined the effort. Sharpton and Jesse Jackson could assist them. Come on Mayor Ray and Senator Landieu need a rest. Perhaps Kerry and Hillary could lend a hand. Lets have a roundtable with them and see what they have in the way of ideas. They don’t like anyone else’s ideas. What do they have in mind?

More and Faster? Wow! Why didn’t the professionals in charge think of that. It’s the how part that we need to hear from all the brain power in DC, NY and CA.

Here’s a few quotes I heard in New Orleans and Mississippi during the response:

1. Thank you, Thank you for helping us.

2. Bless you. God be with you.

3. We would have died. Thanks be too
    God.

Sorry not as negative and anti-establishment as yours but they were heard a lot more often from the people of NO.

[quote]hedo wrote:

God.

Sorry not as negative and anti-establishment as yours but they were heard a lot more often from the people of NO.[/quote]

I don’t think anyone is questioning the hard work and dedication of the first responders. You guys are to be commended for the work you do. The problem lies with the system that caused the delays in getting them there. It sounds like the bulk of the problems were at the state and federal level.
There was an interesting piece on NPR that went through the time line from befor the storm to after:

I also don’t think a lot of folks realize that a lot of the flooding occurred after dark. So imagine being trapped in your house in the dark with the water rising. Pretty terrifying. And BTW, until they go through all the homes and check the attics, it’s waaay to earlier to be backing off on the death toll.
And think of the Lousiana National Guard who after spending their time in Iraq and losing over 200 members of their force, coming home to this. My heart goes out to them.

[quote]hedo wrote:

God.

Sorry not as negative and anti-establishment as yours but they were heard a lot more often from the people of NO.[/quote]

People will always call out insults and try to lay blame. Scream about the establishment, spew out hate. What stands out is facts and responsibility. Something the leaders of both parties are careful about giving out and taking.

Of course the left is lashing out. They have been taking a beating and now they see a chance to turn the tide. I do not think it will work, at least if they stick to their recent tactics.

The Democratic party has been ignoring the black vote, bending on environmentalism, basically trying to be Republican-lite. People, understandably, then say “Well, if I am going to vote for a Republican, why not vote for the real thing?”

Many people say that Democrats have been losing because they do not show any spine. They do not stand up for their beliefs. I often find it hard to disagree. Yet this country has, generally, over its history tended to liberalism, when things are sunny and bright. When a storm comes, out comes the viciousness, a viciousness that has only been tempered by great leaders.

When the left can field a candidate who actually stands up and states facts, who takes positions, who does not just scream insults about Republicans, then we will see some change. A candidate who actually veers left instead of driving for the center/right. At least that is my opinion.

Is it so wrong to want everyone to have medical insurance, a roof over their heads and time to spend with their families? We have all heard the arguments stating that America is powerful because we work long hours, I’ve worked long hours, but what is it getting most of us? When a CEO can ruin a company and then get a 40 million dollar parachute while all of his employees have to worry about drowning in their credit card debt and losing their house, is the American Dream now a nightmare? Why is it that I always see a company get bailed out by the government only to turn around and fire 10,000 people?

I have nothing but respect for the people who have jumped into New Orleans to save people, the firemen who went into the Towers, the soldiers in Iraq. It is the leaders of those public servants, who cause their lives to be risked or lost through carelessness and stupidity that I have no respect for.

It is leaders who cut education budgets, so the people of this country find it harder to get an education that I have no respect for. Education is where it all begins. We have always defeated our enemies through intelligence and radical diversity of thought. Diversity has been America’s strength, if you take the time to look. A thousand ideas get put forth and the best one wins. In many other cultures, a leader puts forth a thought and everyone else agrees. Thomas Jefferson knew what he was saying when he said the words, “Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.”

When will we see a leader who once again asks for America to band together and make some sacrifices to change the flow when we are swirling down the drain?

Jesse Wells

[quote]gojira wrote:
hedo wrote:

God.

Sorry not as negative and anti-establishment as yours but they were heard a lot more often from the people of NO.

I don’t think anyone is questioning the hard work and dedication of the first responders. You guys are to be commended for the work you do. The problem lies with the system that caused the delays in getting them there. It sounds like the bulk of the problems were at the state and federal level.
There was an interesting piece on NPR that went through the time line from befor the storm to after:

I also don’t think a lot of folks realize that a lot of the flooding occurred after dark. So imagine being trapped in your house in the dark with the water rising. Pretty terrifying. And BTW, until they go through all the homes and check the attics, it’s waaay to earlier to be backing off on the death toll.
And think of the Lousiana National Guard who after spending their time in Iraq and losing over 200 members of their force, coming home to this. My heart goes out to them.[/quote]

Gojira

I hear you and understand what you are saying.

I just don’t think the average person understands how much aid came pouring in and how quickly.

My response is borne of frustration. Trust me the best guys in the country are down here. Responders, planners, engineers. The problem is sometimes no matter what you try it fails. Especially against this bitch Katrina. Believe a lot of people could have done better. And they will. The learning curve is steep and expensive for all of us. From top to bottom. The problem is the only way to get better is to do it for real. Like I said. Lessons learned like this are expensive.

I just remember the entire country being supportive after 9/11. Now it’s not. I hope these poor folks get that type of support.

Take care.

1. “What didn’t go right?'” ?President Bush, as quoted by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), after she urged him to fire FEMA Director Michael Brown “because of all that went wrong, of all that didn’t go right” in the Hurricane Katrina relief effort (Source)

2. “Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?” ?House Majority Leader Tom Delay (R-TX), to three young hurricane evacuees from New Orleans at the Astrodome in Houston (Source)

3. “We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn’t do it, but God did.” ?Rep. Richard Baker (R-LA) to lobbyists, as quoted in the Wall Street Journal (Source)

4. “Louisiana is a city that is largely under water.” ?Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, news conference, Sept. 3, 2005 (Source)

5. “I also want to encourage anybody who was affected by Hurricane Corina to make sure their children are in school.” ?First Lady Laura Bush, twice referring to a “Hurricane Corina” while speaking to children and parents in South Haven, Mississippi, Sept. 8, 2005 (Source)

6. “It’s totally wiped out. … It’s devastating, it’s got to be doubly devastating on the ground.” ?President Bush, turning to his aides while surveying Hurricane Katrina flood damage from Air Force One, Aug. 31, 2005 (Source)

7. “I believe the town where I used to come ? from Houston, Texas, to enjoy myself, occasionally too much ? will be that very same town, that it will be a better place to come to.” ?President Bush, on the tarmac at the New Orleans airport, Sept. 2, 2005 (Source)

8. “Last night, we showed you the full force of a superpower government going to the rescue.” ?MSNBC’s Chris Matthews, Sept. 1, 2005 (Source)

9. "You know I talked to Haley Barbour, the governor of Mississippi yesterday because some people were saying, ‘Well, if you hadn’t sent your National Guard to Iraq, we here in Mississippi would be better off.’ He told me ‘I’ve been out in the field every single day, hour, for four days and no one, not one single mention of the word Iraq.’ Now where does that come from? Where does that story come from if the governor is not picking up one word about it? I don’t know. I can use my imagination.? ?Former President George Bush, who can give his imagination a rest, interview with CNN?s Larry King, Sept. 5, 2005 (Source)

10. “We just learned of the convention center ? we being the federal government ? today.” ?FEMA Director Michael Brown, to ABC’s Ted Koppel, Sept. 1, 2005, to which Koppel responded " Don’t you guys watch television? Don’t you guys listen to the radio? Our reporters have been reporting on it for more than just today." (Source)

[quote]hedo wrote:
Gojira

I hear you and understand what you are saying.

I just don’t think the average person understands how much aid came pouring in and how quickly.

My response is borne of frustration. Trust me the best guys in the country are down here. Responders, planners, engineers. The problem is sometimes no matter what you try it fails. Especially against this bitch Katrina. Believe a lot of people could have done better. And they will. The learning curve is steep and expensive for all of us. From top to bottom. The problem is the only way to get better is to do it for real. Like I said. Lessons learned like this are expensive.

I just remember the entire country being supportive after 9/11. Now it’s not. I hope these poor folks get that type of support.

Take care.

[/quote]

A steep learning curve it is. I only hope that we do learn from this and take a look around at other cities at risk. Mother Nature can indeed be a bitch sometimes. This reminds me of my favorite quote:

“History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man”

It’s gotta be tough on the men and women working to pull everyone through this. Keep your chin up and thanks for being there.

[quote]hedo wrote:

Take care.

[/quote]

People can only be scared for so long before they become apathetic. When that apathy is strained, rage results. Bush has been going off with his terror alerts and everything else, so many people have run out of sympathy and good feeling.

I give praise to you and everyone else who is down there, giving people hope.

Jesse Wells

I’m wondering how good of a source is were these quotes are comming from.

I can’t immagine anyone being stupid enough to say most of these quotes, especially in public, and others could have been taken out of context.

Until I see some video or audio tapes of these people saying these things, I’m not believing that these are actual quotes.

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
I’m wondering how good of a source is were these quotes are comming from.

I can’t immagine anyone being stupid enough to say most of these quotes, especially in public, and others could have been taken out of context.

Until I see some video or audio tapes of these people saying these things, I’m not believing that these are actual quotes.[/quote]

I’m fairly hardcore Republican, and I’ve seen most of these quotes elsewhere.

Here is my favorite quote:

Sponsored Links
70 Day Life Makeover
Take the Change Your Life Challenge Begin immediately!
changeyourlifechallenge.com

Now is anyone else disgusted by people trying to make political gain from a disaster?

And, finally…

1. “I don’t want to alarm everybody that, you know, New Orleans is filling up like a bowl. That’s just not happening.” -Bill Lokey, FEMA’s New Orleans coordinator, in a press briefing from Baton Rouge, Aug. 30, 2005 (Source)

2. “FEMA is not going to hesitate at all in this storm. We are not going to sit back and make this a bureaucratic process. We are going to move fast, we are going to move quick, and we are going to do whatever it takes to help disaster victims.” --FEMA Director Michael Brown, Aug. 28, 2005 (Source)

3. “I don’t make judgments about why people chose not to leave but, you know, there was a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans.” ?FEMA Director Michael Brown, arguing that the victims bear some responsibility, CNN interview, Sept. 1, 2005 (Source)

4. “I understand there are 10,000 people dead. It’s terrible. It’s tragic. But in a democracy of 300 million people, over years and years and years, these things happen.” --GOP strategist Jack Burkman, on MSNBC’s “Connected,” Sept. 7, 2005 (Source)

5. “Thank President Clinton and former President Bush for their strong statements of support and comfort today. I thank all the leaders that are coming to Louisiana, and Mississippi and Alabama to our help and rescue. We are grateful for the military assets that are being brought to bear. I want to thank Senator Frist and Senator Reid for their extraordinary efforts. Anderson, tonight, I don’t know if you’ve heard ? maybe you all have announced it – but Congress is going to an unprecedented session to pass a $10 billion supplemental bill tonight to keep FEMA and the Red Cross up and operating.” ?Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-LA), to CNN’s Anderson Cooper, Aug. 31, 2005, to which Cooper responded:

“I haven’t heard that, because, for the last four days, I’ve been seeing dead bodies in the streets here in Mississippi. And to listen to politicians thanking each other and complimenting each other, you know, I got to tell you, there are a lot of people here who are very upset, and very angry, and very frustrated. And when they hear politicians slap ? you know, thanking one another, it just, you know, it kind of cuts them the wrong way right now, because literally there was a body on the streets of this town yesterday being eaten by rats because this woman had been laying in the street for 48 hours. And there’s not enough facilities to take her up. Do you get the anger that is out here?” (Source)