T Nation

Hurricane Ike and NOLA

I heard this morning that Hurricane Ike is now a catagory 4 storm

whats more scary is that this one is on the exact same path or real close to Katrinas old path

its going to skim southern florida and expected to possibly hit New Orleans but its too soon to tell yet.

they got out of it with this last storm but when ike hits them with a catagory 3 like katrina I think it will be the same thing all over again

Gustav was bad all things considered. A lot of Baton Rouge is still back in the stoneage, or so I’m told. I missed the brunt where I am, luckily.

Ike scares the crap out of me.

As you said, its still too far out.

Gustav was supposed to hit at a cat 5 at this point and it died down unexpectedly over night.

Let it get a little closer before we begin the doom and gloom.

For those of us on the texas gulf coast and surrounding areas…good luck.

Im in northwest houston and am playing refuge to all my friends from the clear lake area (manditory evacuation for them at noon today) keep us in your thoughts.

Yeah, east coast got lucky. Best of luck to you guys in Texas and New Orleans.

Response teams are all over Lafayette, but it seems most everything is back up and running. Just a lot of clean up left. Anyways I’m headed up to Arkansas, if I got a vacate I might as well make vacation of it.

They are evacuating south Houston now. I don’t think I am leaving for this one but I am letting friends living south of me stay with me if need be.

I just drove back home from Houston yesterday and there wasn’t that much traffic leaving Houston. Now that there are mandatory evacuations for some areas, I think it might get pretty bad like three years ago when they were evacuating for another hurricane, I can’t remember the name right now, Rita I think…

Hurricane Dolly hit just 1 hour from where I live and the good thing is that it wasn’t that bad in my area. The only thing we worried about was the power outage that lasted two days. Some friends didn’t have power for a whole weak, so I bet that really sucked.

[quote]Jetric9 wrote:
I just drove back home from Houston yesterday and there wasn’t that much traffic leaving Houston. Now that there are mandatory evacuations for some areas, I think it might get pretty bad like three years ago when they were evacuating for another hurricane, I can’t remember the name right now, Rita I think…

Hurricane Dolly hit just 1 hour from where I live and the good thing is that it wasn’t that bad in my area. The only thing we worried about was the power outage that lasted two days. Some friends didn’t have power for a whole weak, so I bet that really sucked. [/quote]

Power outage is what I worry about more than the hurricane. Losing several pounds worth of steaks does not sound like fun.

I was relieved to find out that Ike is going right past us. I feel bad for the people living on the Gulf Coast of Texas however.

I evacuated through Katrina, then through Gustav, only to get back home this time and get hit by Hanna. My entire college career has been a big natural disaster.

-dizzle

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Jetric9 wrote:

Hurricane Dolly hit just 1 hour from where I live and the good thing is that it wasn’t that bad in my area. The only thing we worried about was the power outage that lasted two days. Some friends didn’t have power for a whole weak, so I bet that really sucked.

Power outage is what I worry about more than the hurricane. Losing several pounds worth of steaks does not sound like fun.[/quote]

I know, we are used to having electricity all the time that once you don’t have it for a while, you really start appreciating it a little more. I would recommend looking into some generators and connecting a small cooking plate. Maybe you can also buy a small grill with enough charcoal to last you for a couple of days. And have some reading materials or something to just keep you entertain because it really gets boring without electricity.

[quote]Jetric9 wrote:
it really gets boring without electricity. [/quote]

Luckily, there is usually a bit of yardwork to do after a storm.

Hell, you can call it GPP!

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:
I was relieved to find out that Ike is going right past us. I feel bad for the people living on the Gulf Coast of Texas however.

I evacuated through Katrina, then through Gustav, only to get back home this time and get hit by Hanna. My entire college career has been a big natural disaster.

-dizzle[/quote]

Why not get degree in Meteorology instead? You have the experienced already…

[quote]mahwah wrote:
Jetric9 wrote:
it really gets boring without electricity.

Luckily, there is usually a bit of yardwork to do after a storm.

Hell, you can call it GPP![/quote]

Just be careful with the power lines!

Or you can also have plenty of mesquite for a nice BBQ and a delicious postwork meal.

I wanna be this guy.

-dizzle

Got this in an email this morning, slightly inappropriate but too funny to not post, sorry to offend.

[quote]dday wrote:
Got this in an email this morning, slightly inappropriate but too funny to not post, sorry to offend.[/quote]

Anna mae I told you dont go to texas now look what we gonna do.

Ike was my HS nickname.

Just thought I’d share.

all the gyms are closed…